Newbie - Can you review my proposed recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carebear Wrote:

0.8 OUNCES per pound of oils, which works out to 5%

but how much EO you use depends entirely on what EO you are using and what you are trying to achieve. there are no max or mins, really - though I'd not go over an ounce per pound in most cases.

Sorry Carebear, but as someone who has paid for and uses an expensive cosmetic safety assessment (UK) there are limits to e.o.'s set out in my assessment. I will copy word for word:

There is a limit of 3% maximum either singly or in combinations. There is a limit of 2% either alone or combined for citrus species. There is a limit of 1% for tea tree, also for black pepper, lime distilled, blood orange, orange 5 fold. There is a limit of 0.5% for Bergamot oil and the cinnamon species.

As I sell my soaps to the public and retail outlets I use my safety assessment to guide me all the time in the correct usage of e.o.'s. So I would say there are definitely maximum limits set by those in the know for our safety.

Moira

Sorry moira, but as an experieced soaper, I would of course expect you to follow common sense in researching safety and laws in your country. I was speaking from the point of view of fragrance impact.

So I'm delighted to hear you are using your safety assessment to guide you.

Safety first! :).

You ARE an experienced soaper, right? Since you are selling your soaps I'm sure you are, despite your announcement3 weeks ago that you are a newbie (your word).

Wow! Moria, that's an awesome learning curve! From newbie to expert in DAYS!

Yes, you are right, I am a Newbie. Started thinking about it in January, had my first training course on how to run a soap making business in February. Did my first soap making course in March and started making soap. Felt I needed more training so did a Soap Making Boot Camp of all things and advance CP training in May. At the same time I got my first order of 100 custom bars - slightly daunting to say the least!

Since then I have sold my soaps to a number of retail outlets, but am putting off approaching any more until next year as I have over a dozen fairs between now and Christmas.

My journey has been a rapid and I suppose you could say fairly successful one so far. I have so far done everything by the book, keeping records, opening a business acount, labellling everything in accordance with E.U. legislation which takes up a lot of my time. However, it is certainly proving to be an interesting and challenging business to be involved in - and very creative too! Plus I get to try out so many yummy soaps as well.

I have been reading posts from this forum for some time, and I have to say I find the topics up for discussion absolutely fascinating. I have printed off many an idea and recipe and have had my eyes opened to so many possible new ways of making soap.

I guess in a way, I have just introduced myself - so Hi everyone, and thanks for such an informative forum. Does the above still make me a newbie then? I feel I still am, if that's OK with you :D

Moira

Woah.

Congrats on your new business.

I'm not that brave to jump in with CP type soap and sell
without seeing how my batches actually turn out over 6 months
from now. I just don't have that kind of courage and confidence.

Moira said:
Does the above still make me a newbie then?
it certainly doesn't rule it out.

Like Mayren and many others, I wouldn't consider selling until I knew how my soaps held up over time, that I could produce a consistent product, until I knew how my packaging held up over time, until I understood each of my ingredients, until I was sure I could continually source high quality ingredients, and many more things. Over time means over the course of 6 months to as long as 2 years, actually. (For me, at least, and I imagine Lori and David would tell you the same thing. Did they cover selling in their course?) Partially because disappointing customers can spell financial disaster, but mostly because ethically I cannot imagine misrepresenting myself or my products.

I think training has definitely given me the confidence I needed to go ahead and make and sell my soaps. I also get 6-7 days a week support from my soap teachers via e-mail and phone. I have even phoned them standing over my cooking pot whilst a batch seized and asked "what the hell has just happened". Needless to say, I don't get seized batches anymore! 8)

Moira

Mayren said:
Woah.

Congrats on your new business.

I'm not that brave to jump in with CP type soap and sell
without seeing how my batches actually turn out over 6 months
from now. I just don't have that kind of courage and confidence.

You are wise. The SMF does not advocate the selling of any soap/bath/body product before it is properly tested and stands the test of time. There is no law against it but to do so is irresponsible. I believe there are more than enough threads on this forum, about this subject, to make our position as clear as day.

I can see what you guys are saying about the test of time. I can only say that of course I personally test every bar myself and gave loads away in the early days to friends and family and have had very positive feedback. I stick very much to the same basic recipe, just changing the appearance and fragrance so I know that my recipe works. I also work within the cosmetic safety guidelines as mentioned.

I work closely with some of my customers who are giving me repeat orders. They have also had positve feedback from their customers which of course helps with my confidence.

I'm getting a sense of being chastised for the speed at which my business has taken off and that perhaps I should have waited - what up to 2 years before putting my soap out into the public arena :?

Moira

Perhaps you haven't read this: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=17621

Newbies selling soap is generally not encouraged by experienced soapmakers, for many reasons. But it sounds as if you did have training from an experienced soapmaker who gave you a tried and true recipe. It sounds like you did what was required in your country to be able to sell soap. What you are lacking is time and experience, which only comes with - time and lots of soapmaking experience. Hopefully you will continue to read and learn as much as you can about making soap, especially since you've already jumped into selling rather quickly. Stick to your basic recipe. If you try any new recipes, please spend more time testing before selling them.

Ewenique, thanks for the link. No I hadn't read it. It does cover though everything I've received training in and I do have everything in place that is required to run a business.

The only thing I don't have is the experience of time in relation to how well my soaps stand up to it! That, is yet an uknown entity, apart from the first soaps I made in April/May they have only improved with age. Do we necessarily need to leave our soaps on the shelves for 1-2 years though before we sell them. For one, I think the fragrance will have severely diminished.

No you don't have to.
Only do that if you are serious about running a successful business.
If you want to sell garbage then sell your newbie soap!

Personally I think it would be in your customers best interest to affix a small label near the ingredients that states something like: "This soap may develop severe rancidity in 6 months, or may not. I just don't know because I didn't wait to see."

Other than that Sell Away, but you might want to think seriously about asking some of the members here to answer your newbie questions when your intention is not to enjoy soapmaking, but to try to turn a quick buck off the hard earned, expensive, knowledge of this and other forums.

Obviously, I only speak for myself, but why don't you try sauntering into Wolfgang Pucks kitchen and ask him for his secret recipe?

I take offence to the fact that you think my soaps might be garbage. Also I have not actually used anyone's recipes off the forum as I develop my own themes based what I have been taught.

I tend to speak to my teachers on a weekly basis if I have any questions and quite why you think my intention is not to enjoy soapmaking is beyond my comprehension.

FYI I have no idea who Wolfgang Pucks is.

I have simply given an honest account of my soapmaking history up to date and as a result I find I myself on the receiving end of hostility which I find quite shocking.

I find this comment particularily offensive - but to try to turn a quick buck off the hard earned, expensive, knowledge of this and other forums. especially as I use the online SoapCalc to assist me in getting the formulas that I find most satisfying.

As a Moderator, I find your use of the English language far from moderate.

If you disagree with my comments you are welcome to close your browser and find your answers elsewhere!

gave loads away in the early days

The problem is, Sweets... you are still in the early days.

you think my soaps might be garbage

And the problem here is, it could turn into garbage in 6 months, it could go rancid, you don't know, you are gambling, you think, but you don't know.

My words were moderate and you disregard/disresepected them. I guess Deda was trying a different approach. It did not work either.

You will look back on this in a different light when you have a few years under your belt.

Latest posts

Back