Newbie Bath Bomber - starting over?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kari

Reaction score
I am using a beginners kit I bought from a local candle company, the kit included the following recipe:
1 cup Baking Soda
3/4 cup Citric Acid
2 Tbsp White Kaolin Clay
1 Tbsp Grape Seed Oil
2 Tsp Polysorbate 80
5 Drops of Vitamin E oil
1 Tsp Fragrance Oil
1/4 Tsp Borax Powder
1 Tsp Mica

The instructions said to mix all dry together, all wet together, and then mix the wet into the dry (Hey, that's the muffin method!) - and everything went fine up until that point. The instructions then said to spray the mixture with 91% rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle 3 times, mix, and repeat that for a total of four times..

I don't know if their spray bottle is more misty than mine, or what.. but there was no way it was forming anything close to a bath bomb after 12 total sprays. I kept spraying and testing for a good hour and wasn't making much progress.. so I said to hell with this misting thing and started pouring in small streams of alcohol, mixing in about 2 ounces (total) of alcohol before it would form clumps.

I got one bomb to form and then life hit me upside the head and I had to abandon it part way through for three hours. I did cover the mixture. When I came back to it, it had dried out a lot and that one that I made was rock hard. At that point it was past midnight so I just threw everything into a Ziploc and hit the hay.

I have a few questions:

1. That first one is looking pretty sad - I'd like to crumble it up and add it back to the mixture. Except it is rock hard, how do I do it?
2. Can I just continue where I left off, adding more alcohol until I have something more like wet sand?
3. Short of having it start fizzing in the bowl, is there anything as "too much" alcohol? I confess, I know it depends on air humidity and elevation, but as I poured in the last of the alcohol from the spray bottle it occurred to me that I might be adding too much and that the bombs will be duds.

sounds like a challenging experience.
I havent needed that much alcohol, sometimes I have even forgotten it.
I find that air temp and humidity are important features of my fizz making. I now only attempt batches when it is hot and dry, and not for a few days after rain. If your airconditioned this matters so much less.
I use a different recipe, so I am not sure why your batch didnt start out holding shape well. Your unavoidable break was possibly the nail in the fizz coffin.
can you break it up like candy rock and use it like that so you dont feel you have wasted ingredients?
better luck next time

Best to contact the company where you bought it. You're probably not the first person who has had this happen. Maybe they can help. Ya never know. Worth a try. :)

Latest posts

Back