Newbie alert!! Dr bronners diy for shampoo??? Help I'm so confused

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I had hair loss due to Hashimoto's, which is very hard to diagnose and most doctors don't even test for it. I'm not on any kind of medication for it but if done lots of research about, especially about the hair loss. I learned about, and started taking one tablespoon of unrefined organic coconut oil everyday, and my hair thickened up over a couple of months. I also see very little hair falling out, just the normal amount now. You can put it in your coffee or just take it straight from the container if it's slightly softened. I put in a drizzle of honey on top of mine when I take it from the spoon, and it tastes similar to a Mounds bar. I've been a hair stylist for over 20 years, and Nioxin shampoo and conditioner never worked for me or my clients. It dries your hair out too much, therefore making it more brittle and causing it to have more breakage. The coconut oil really does work, and I hope you will try it. I also hope it helps you immensely!
I was a hair stylist for over 30 yrs, my mom, 50+ years will a senior clientile, so we dealt with a lot of hair and scalp issues. I used Nioxin products on my troubled scalp and dry hair. It did not damage my hair and is the only product which helped my scalp. My sis with very dry hair uses one of the Nioxin sets with good results. You have to use the one for the problem, and like everything will not help everyone. I just threw it out there. Consuming Coconut is going to add fat that may or may not help. Vitamin A and Vitamin E help hair but again not everyone. It still helps to rule out a medical condition. I have seen direct help with Vitamin A, but vitamins are not the all time cure either, one's health and genetics play a big role. I was not prescribing just mentioning it may help.

As Obsidian mentioned try soapnuts but only try on a small area or test inside the elbow to rule out any allergies to the soapnuts. Soapnut nuts are really fun but I cannot use them, but I would not tell someone they cannot, test them just like shampoos. Sjogrens Syndrome can adversely affect hair big time and is extremely hard to control. My daughter uses one of the Nioxin systems while it does help it does not fix her hair. Avocado Oil has a lot more good properties, but is only good if not allergic to avocados.

Last edited:
I'm having alot of hair loss! Of seem the Dr bronners and wanted to make my own? Does anyone have a basic recipe?
As far as I know, I'm probably the only person on this forum who makes an all natural shampoo. I have a recipe for Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild Castile Shampoo (Type). My 98-year old mother recently mentioned that she likes it because it makes her hair soft. Just the other day, my hubby mentioned that he likes my Peppermint Hogwash Hair & Body shampoo -- same comment -- it makes his hair soft and shiny. Then I also got this testimonial (posted on another forum herein) regarding my Flaxseed Shampoo from a soaping buddy earlier this month:
February 10, 2018, SB wrote:
I really love your Flaxseed Oil Shampoo! I have 1/4 a bottle left and limit myself to use it once a week to make it stretch. :0

February 12, 2018 Cee (Zany) wrote:
I am so glad to hear you liked my Flaxseed Shampoo! And your hair is colored, yes? Or is it "sun-bleached"? In any case, I was somewhat worried that it would get "fried" as many SMF-ers complain about with lye based LS. Please be honest. With your permission, I'd like to share your comment on SMF .

February 17, 2018, SB wrote:
Sorry am behind on replying. ... Just thought I would take a moment and tell you how much I like your Flaxseed Shampoo. I have natural hair color except when it gets bleached by the sun in the summer. I use the Flaxseed Shampoo once a week and it leaves my hair so nice and soft. It even brightens up some of the gray I have. I didn’t even need to use a conditioner which was always a given when I washed my hair. Just put a few drops of the Argan Oil hair serum on the ends when I combed it out before I used the blow dryer. Great Shampoo!
I was experiencing hair loss too -- due to stress -- when I first started making my own all natural shampoo. That was at least 10 years ago. I still have the stress, but my hair is no longer falling out. My recommendation would be to try a natural shampoo like Dr. Bronner's to first see if that works for you. You're lucky... there are a lot more all natural shampoos on the market these days due to the trend away from commercial SynDets (Synthetic/Detergent) shampoo. If you find one you like, I might be able to help you duplicate it.

Oh yeah, I just remembered. I once had a soaper ask me to make her a shampoo with nothing but almond oil. I was skeptical, but it turned out great. Nice lather. Rinsed clean. Left my hair soft, shiny and feeling conditioned.

As far as I know, I'm probably the only person on this forum who makes an all natural shampoo. I have a recipe for Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild Castile Shampoo (Type). My 98-year old mother recently mentioned that she likes it because it makes her hair soft. Just the other day, my hubby mentioned that he likes my Peppermint Hogwash Hair & Body shampoo -- same comment -- it makes his hair soft and shiny. Then I also got this testimonial (posted on another forum herein) regarding my Flaxseed Shampoo from a soaping buddy earlier this month:

I was experiencing hair loss too -- due to stress -- when I first started making my own all natural shampoo. That was at least 10 years ago. I still have the stress, but my hair is no longer falling out. My recommendation would be to try a natural shampoo like Dr. Bronner's to first see if that works for you. You're lucky... there are a lot more all natural shampoos on the market these days due to the trend away from commercial SynDets (Synthetic/Detergent) shampoo. If you find one you like, I might be able to help you duplicate it.

Oh yeah, I just remembered. I once had a soaper ask me to make her a shampoo with nothing but almond oil. I was skeptical, but it turned out great. Nice lather. Rinsed clean. Left my hair soft, shiny and feeling conditioned.
That sounds great! Iv never actually tried the Dr bronners or any ither natural shampoo yet! Apsrt from a mix of aloe and coconut I made the other day which was a disaster! I would love the recipe for the flax and mild Dr bronners! I'm just a bit confused now as so many people have said the koh will ruin the hair! I dont like the idea of the syndet bars as they have so many chemicals in them! Hmmmm its hard to know what to do a lot of people say the bronners damaged the hair but not only after using it for a while!

I used to make a paste for my hair, using soapnut, amla, and shikakai powders. While I liked it, it was really time consuming, and I just couldn't keep-up with it. I felt like my hair was still in good condition after using the process for 6 months or so. I honestly can't speak for the long-term results, but if you're interested, look into cleansing powders.

They sell them
I used to make a paste for my hair, using soapnut, amla, and shikakai powders. While I liked it, it was really time consuming, and I just couldn't keep-up with it. I felt like my hair was still in good condition after using the process for 6 months or so. I honestly can't speak for the long-term results, but if you're interested, look into cleansing powders.
In my local Indian shop but I dont understand how to use them I supoose tmi all the powders together then do what with them? Do you mix them with an oil to apply to hair?

They sell them

In my local Indian shop but I dont understand how to use them I supoose tmi all the powders together then do what with them? Do you mix them with an oil to apply to hair?
I would take a couple of scoops of each powder and mix them with a small amount of liquid (water, yogurt, honey, hydrosol,etc). Only enough liquid that the mixture became a paste. I then rubbed into the roots of my hair, let it sit for a few minutes, and then rinsed, rinsed, rinsed (rinse a lot, there's a lot of powder residue in your hair). Then, repeat.
EDITED TO ADD: I have oily hair, so I didn't need to condition or add oils after the fact. My natural oils provided enough, I guess. If my ends got brittle, I would sometimes rub a lightweight oil into the dry areas after washing.

Back