Newbie...2 questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie

Reaction score
I just started making HP soap. The recipe I am following is from a friend.
My question is... after the soap has cooked and I am ready to add EO.

My notes say to add a carrier oil up to 1 oz. per pound of soap with the EO.. I just never read anything about this in any recipe books.
Is this considered superfatting? because you add addition oils after the cook?

If so can you add a melted butter instead of the oil?

So far my batches adding a carrier oil with the EO has turned out great.

Thanks in advance. I am a newbie and learning.

One more question can I substitute brewed coffee instead of distilled water in a recipe?
:D

I don't know about the carrier oils, but I have made soap substituting liquid. I have used coffee, green tea, and coconut milk. The soaps turned out very well.

otter...thanks

thank you otter. I will try a batch with brewed coffee.

I did find another website that talked of adding superfat oils with scent, color etc, so maybe I am correct to do it. I will wait to see if anyone else responds.
thanks again. :)

Hello! Yes, I believe that is considered superfatting. I always use this tecnique. I have used fruit juices, beer, syrup, pureed fruits and veggies, various milks for my liquid solution! Have fun with coffee!

Like the others have already stated- yes- that is superfatting. And yes- you can add melted butters instead of oils. And yes again :) - you can add all kinds of liquid to replace water. I just used cucumber juice to a soap I made yesterday. Coffee is on my list to try, too.

IrishLass :)

Back