newbie 1.2 kilo mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janine

Reaction score
lm hoping this formula will work. l lowered my oils so l could fit everything into my mold of 1.2 kilo,l was getting Soap weight before cp cure or hp cook 1,856.30 to go into a 1,200.00 old arrrggghhh so l lowered my oils..... plz help lm stuck does this ratio look better for my mold

Attachments

• 12,000 gram batch(1).pdf
    55.4 KB · Views: 6
Hi again Janine,

To adjust your recipe oil weight in Soapcalc, you can click option 2 "Weight of Oils" and click on the "grams" button. In the grams field you can enter 250 or 300 grams, and then check the "view or print recipe" to see if the total batch weight is what you are after, then adjust from there.

To check your mold volume, fill it up with water, to the amount you want to make, and then pour the water into a measuring jug. (*Correction) The volume will be the same, but the weight of your soap batter will be different to the weight of your water.

In steps ...

1/ Fill you mold with rice or water to the level you want to measure, then pour this into a measuring jug to find out the volume in millilitres
(it will be roughly 1.5 litres to the top, so measure to the level you actually want)

2/ Multiply this amount by 0.70, this will give you the (rough, but close) weight of the soap batter you need to make
(eg. to the top will be roughly 1.5 litres x 0.70 => approximately 1 kilogram)

So, if you make a batch of soap that weighs about a kilogram, it should fill your mold (you will be able to refine this once you've made the recipe once ... there will always be adjustments).

Personally I would make a 400gram batch of soap (total weight of soap before cure), and put the dam wall so that you are filling half of your mold.

(*edited to correct error)

Last edited:
Janine, I agree with the caution to make smaller batches of soap when you are new AND when trying out a new soap formula.

Figuring out how much oil is needed for a specific mold has already been answered here, and is well covered in many soapmaking sites around the internet, so I won't go there.

But you may find Google helpful for conversions from certain units of measure to another. For example, ounces to grams, or millimeters to inches, etc. See this.
conversion tool.JPG

You can change the unit of measure via the downward arrow to the right of whichever unit you choose. Then plug in the number on on the left and the conversion automatically appears in the the box to the right.

What I will suggest is that once you figure out the desired amount of oils for a desired batch size at a particular lye concentration, that you write that down and keep it somewhere you can find it again. I write it on masking tape and tape it to the bottom of the mold in question. That way, when I go to use that mold, all I have to do is look at the masking tape and I have all the information I need. Use a Sharpie or permanent marker. Over time, it's easier to read, and as long as you don't spray it with alcohol, it will remain easy to read.

Latest posts

Back