Newb Recipe feedback

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusti

Reaction score
So I got some lard and some castor oil and wanted to try something a little different from the first two recipes I did, with the second simply being a small tweak to a very basic recipe.

I worked up this, based on what I was reading about lard recipes:
12745760_10208246554218469_5591671394186950028_n.jpg

I would be very much appreciative if folks could give me some feedback on my playing and whether or not this might work out. I may have to adjust the oil amount a little bit, I'm not sure my little home made coroplast mold will hold 51 ounces.

Hi Rusti,

It looks like an interesting recipe to try - worth the effort. The oil percentages you've chosen are appropriate (I think that was what you were asking)

With that much lard and olive oil which are both conditioning, I wonder if the shea butter would be overkill, would it really make a difference or have you just made the most conditioning soap ever?? I've never used shea with a high percentage of lard myself. I'd love to hear what you think of it in 6 weeks.

Hi Rusti,

It looks like an interesting recipe to try - worth the effort. The oil percentages you've chosen are appropriate (I think that was what you were asking)

With that much lard and olive oil which are both conditioning, I wonder if the shea butter would be overkill, would it really make a difference or have you just made the most conditioning soap ever?? I've never used shea with a high percentage of lard myself. I'd love to hear what you think of it in 6 weeks.

With the amount of CO in there, that recipe might be fine. Nothing that a little sugar won't help.

OK, I'd be game to try the sugar... is there a good tutorial on how to do that someplace?

All you need is a tsp (to be on the safe side) of sugar per pound of oil but the sugar needs to be dissolved in water to be effective. You could even use honey but the same rules apply: tsp in enough water to dissolve.

All you need is a tsp (to be on the safe side) of sugar per pound of oil but the sugar needs to be dissolved in water to be effective. You could even use honey but the same rules apply: tsp in enough water to dissolve.

Dissolved in the water before I add lye, right? or a separate bit of water? Should I be aware of any acceleration or anything?

Add it to the water before the lye, try it after and it just wont work. Some hold back some water, mix with the sugar and add it to the oils, but that seems like more work to me.
I have used up to a TBSP of sugar ppo - apparently at those levels it can start speeding trace, but I've really not had problems. I use well behaved EO's though.

I admit I love bubbles. Adding sugar does seem to boost the bubbleage. Like Seawolf, I try to use well behaving FOs, and I usually don't have a problem with acceleration. I will leave the sugar out if I know I absolutely need a lot of working time or the FO is questionable. Some people hold out some of the water for the lye and mix the sugar in that, even warming it to help it dissolve. I find that if I put the sugar in the water and stir it well, go on to do other prep things for a few minutes, the sugar is dissolved and I can add the lye.

Sure, you can add sugar. But there's no need to. 20% co makes a respectable amount of large bubbles, the lard and shea make lots of creamy lather.

Sugar can heat up your soap, especially if you use 1 tablespoon, so keep an eye on it and be prepared stick in the 'fridge.

teaspoon of sugar PPO in the water before lye. Otherwise it makes a real interesting gel out of the sugar.
Adding very much sugar may cause a spontaneous gel with this recipe as lenaree just stated.
Adding about the same amount of salt would give a bit more hardness.
Neither are needed in this recipe though. IMHO

I would suggest you skip the sugar and the shea for the first batch.(Add 10% to the lard.) Then the next batch add the shea. Then the next batch add the sugar. Then you KNOW what shea brings to the soap and sugar brings to the soap. That is how you learn what YOU like.

Oh. Well. Now you're just making all kinds of sense and I don't know how to react to that.

;)

Isn't it EXCITING???

I can't decide if it's exciting or frustrating! LOL

Being the artistic type, I'm used to watching the things that I do come together as I work on them, like drawings, paintings or design projects. I still haven't come to terms just yet with the waiting a day or more to unmold and cut something to see how it looks.

Latest posts

Back