New Year Soaping Goals

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been soaping for MANY years including at my Grandmother's side in the 1960's, yet I am interested in exploring the bathalchemylab.com. I just want to know if anyone has had experience with it, and what they thought about it. We all could use more expertise, and I wanted to know if this experience might be worth it.

I have been soaping for MANY years including at my Grandmother's side in the 1960's, yet I am interested in exploring the bathalchemylab.com. I just want to know if anyone has had experience with it, and what they thought about it. We all could use more expertise, and I wanted to know if this experience might be worth it.
Wow! Big price. I have no experience in this at all. But from experience in my other hobby, quilting, and websites that have all sorts of classes available from $30-80; I found that most of the classes that I took, I could eventually find the same information from other quilters for free on YouTube. Searching took up a lot of my time but since I'm retired I have plenty of time and not as much money.

I've only been a member here for a few months, but in watching only the mentioned videos in the threads from either companies or individuals I have been amazed at what I have learned. I would be interested in finding out if anyone has taken this course.

Wow! Big price. I have no experience in this at all. But from experience in my other hobby, quilting, and websites that have all sorts of classes available from $30-80; I found that most of the classes that I took, I could eventually find the same information from other quilters for free on YouTube. Searching took up a lot of my time but since I'm retired I have plenty of time and not as much money.

I've only been a member here for a few months, but in watching only the mentioned videos in the threads from either companies or individuals I have been amazed at what I have learned. I would be interested in finding out if anyone has taken this course.

So you are a quilter---we have something in common-I am a weaver, felt maker, knitter, and spinner. I guess I should also mention that I was a math and science, and sometimes art teacher for 25 yrs. So what is the big price for these classes? I couldn't find any information on their site about signing up. That in itself has me disturbed. I really want to get better information about coloring, and setting landscapes in my soaps.I also want to make and package my soaps naturally.

Hey I thought it would be fun to share some of our goals for sharpening our craft for the year 2020. Here's a few of mine. The biggest thread is CONSISTENCY.

Fine tune our packaging, logo, esthetic
Learn how to use social media more effectively
Get on top of our website
Continue to network with local artisans and find new popup markets
Experiment with different mold shapes. I keep buying molds and am not really using them.
Experiment with clays as additives and learn how to make clay masks
Start using batch #'s and best buy dates on labels
Launch shampoo bar line (my testing phase is done and I'm ready)
Improve record keeping and bookkeeping practices (see batch #s)
Set up an annual calendar so I'm not missing opportunities
Take a design class at a local community college

That's probably enough for this year but I love to research and the rabbit holes go really deep and far in soap making. I think these are the biggest priorities though. I hope this gives some of you inspiration and for those of you like me that can never plan too much tell me what you're hoping to accomplish this year. Now to get back to deep cleaning the studio and inventory.

Yes very inspiring! I am a newb and I have now 5 batches of soap under my belt and 2 MW mold trays of stuck soap! LOL! I want to try shampoo bars! I as well want to try some clay! So much to learn! One day at a time! This is fun stuff!

Before I spent that much money I would definitely spend a lot of time here in this forum. And definitely read every thing that DeeAnna says...sometimes I don't really understand what she is saying, so bookmark it and come back to it later when I need a refresher, or when that light bulb above my head finally turns on! LOL

Since the courses are online, it would seem like at least some of the stuff you would get searching YouTube vids. Lots of soap making places have their own vids and that is how I found a lot by searching some of the big names in quilting. Every month someone holds a challenge here and so far all have had multiple videos to demonstrate their challenge.

Anything that expensive on the quilting side would be for a retreat/class not just an online study portfolio. I might have done something like it earlier in my life but now I am way too old to get that much out of a class. LOL

There are several inventory systems on the market, two that I know of are free (one is online, the other is the 'lite' version) and a third offers (online) offers a 14-day trial. One way to make sure you never run out of ingredients is to always have a 'backup' and when you open it, you reorder.
Oh I didn't mean a computer program when I said inventory system/ I simply meant to keep track of what I have, much I use, and make it systematic. I made an excel recording what oil I have and in what quantity and frankly that's all I need. Frankly I just need to fill in the excel and remember to use it often.

Well, no really lofty goals quite yet, but I did buy an 8-fragrance "Crafters Choice™ Beach Fragrance Oil Collection" (wooo hoo! and now that I go back and look at it, I paid less than 1/2 of what they're selling it for! yay me!)
(1) 2 fl. oz - Beach* Fragrance Oil
(1) 2 fl. oz - Beach Daisies Fragrance Oil
(1) 2 fl. oz - Calypso Sun* Fragrance Oil
(1) 2 fl. oz - Salt Water Mermaid Fragrance Oil
(1) 2 fl. oz - Sea Salt & Driftwood Fragrance Oil
(1) 2 fl. oz - Seaside Cotton Odor Neutralizing - EO & FO Blend
(1) 2 fl. oz - Soleil Blanc* Fragrance Oil
(1) 2 fl. oz - Sun & Sand* Fragrance Oil

I'll have to go re-sniff them, but I can't really tell any of them apart and I'm not sure I love any of them.

BUT, what am I gonna do with all these beachy FOs, you ask? Salt soaps! I made some Soleseife a number of months ago, but come to think of it, haven't used it yet (just given it away). Never mind! That won't get in my way! Just gonna make all sorts of salty soaps with these FOs.

Any tips, anyone? Also, anyone want to vote for which FO I use first?
And finally, has anyone ever seen a Fresh Water Mermaid before? :p

Oh! Thanks for the inspiration MGM. I'd like to add to my list:
Use up all of my old fragrances (so I can buy new fragrances, haha)

As a soapmaker:
Learn more design techniques - which means continuing to fine tune my recipe/methods to get a slow trace recipe that doesn't develop DOS.
Play with natural colorants

As a business:
Launch a vegan soap line
Stock a broader range of fragrances, but not so many that I overwhelm the customer
More custom orders
More wholesale
Teach soapmaking classes
Offer a broader range of non-soap products that can be made and turned quickly
Develop gift baskets/product sets

@MGM as for which ones to use first, I have used Sun and Sand in several salt and brine soaps and it performs beautifully, and the scent really sticks. The last time I bought that fragrance I bought a 1lb bottle because people really like it.

I've also used Sea Salt & Driftwood in regular soap and salt bars, it sticks really well (I hid about 6 salt bars from my hubby two years ago and they smell amazing yet), and it may slow down trace in certain recipes. The first salt bar I made with it, it slowed the trace way down and caused the salt to settle at the bottom of the cavity mold, so the second batch I took trace to med-heavy trace before adding salt to make sure everything stayed in suspension. My regular soap recipe moves quickly, but with this FO I have tons (almost too much) time to work with it.

So glad I posted this! Thanks for all the detail @amd ! I mean, I'll probably forget all of it in the moment, but I can't say I wasn't warned!
I do remember you posting about how much your husband likes your salt bars...hope I like them half as much!

As for which ones to use first, I have used Sun and Sand in several salt and brine soaps and it performs beautifully, and the scent really sticks. The last time I bought that fragrance I bought a 1lb bottle because people really like it.

Okay so.....I remembered about what @amd said about Sea Salt & Driftwood slowing trace...but you didn't mention that Sun and Sand moves fast!! I had a medium thick batter (using a SoapQueen recipe---she had a brine and a salt soap recipe linked so I decided to compare them) and things were humming along when I added the FO and bam! Should've just plopped into the mould then, but wanted to add some blue mica (already prepared), so poured that in. I ended up with an ITP swirl of natural plus the blue mica not getting all the way mixed in!

So they may be a little lumpy, but I'm hoping will add to the charm of it all. I haven't had something accelerate in a while, so it's good to keep me on my toes.

My hobbyist soapy goals for 2020 are:

1. Do every monthly challenge to develop my skills and expand my knowledge.
2. Force more people to give me feedback on my soap. (this includes the sister that thinks Dial is okay and those I have trapped at my kitchen sink with a bowl of testers)
3. Buy less than $100.00 of soap stuff a month.
4. Do a decent hanger swirl
5. Conquer cutting slabs
6. Buy a wire cutter instead of using a cheese slicer with blue tape measurements.
7. Be more zen in my approach to soap making
8. Convince my aunt that the soap is not "too pretty to use" (see #2)
9. Continue my soap donations to our local shelter
10. Continue to have fun on my journey

but you didn't mention that Sun and Sand moves fast!!
Hmmm... it didn't for me at all, I had plenty of time to do an ITP swirl salt bar and brine soap. Worked wonderfully for both. I add my FO to my oils before adding lye, so I don't know if that makes a difference. Or maybe the formula changed? The last time I purchased was late 2018. FO's can be finicky - I have one that does something different every time I soap with it. The first time it slowed trace down (and took me forever to get the batter setup enough to frost with), the second time it seized on me and I barely had time to get the color in (honestly I didn't, the soap has chunks of uncolored batter through it), and the third time it worked perfectly. Same dang soap recipe every time. Anyways, I bet your soap will be lovely anyways!

Continuing to add to my business goals...
Keep better track of inventory (stock made and supplies)

Personal...
Learn how to properly make lotion. I'm putting this on personal for this year and hope that I can add it as a business goal in 2021.

Truly inspiring to read the range of goals listed here. I love that in encompasses everyone from pure hobbyists to professional businesses.

My goals as a hobbyist and aspiring side-businesser:
- "Discover" 2-3 EO blends that I LOVE
- Find a local source for tallow
- Work with 2 "exotic" ingredients (I'm intrigued by Neem oil for one...)
- Make a (successful) salt bar
- Sell 1 bar of soap to someone I dont know. :p

Hmmm... it didn't for me at all, I had plenty of time to do an ITP swirl salt bar and brine soap. Worked wonderfully for both. I add my FO to my oils before adding lye, so I don't know if that makes a difference. Or maybe the formula changed? The last time I purchased was late 2018. FO's can be finicky - I have one that does something different every time I soap with it. The first time it slowed trace down (and took me forever to get the batter setup enough to frost with), the second time it seized on me and I barely had time to get the color in (honestly I didn't, the soap has chunks of uncolored batter through it), and the third time it worked perfectly. Same dang soap recipe every time. Anyways, I bet your soap will be lovely anyways!

Continuing to add to my business goals...
Keep better track of inventory (stock made and supplies)

Personal...
Learn how to properly make lotion. I'm putting this on personal for this year and hope that I can add it as a business goal in 2021.
I'm wanting to learn candle making mostly for personal and then maybe to add to sales just in the fall and winter. I love candles. and wax tarts.

Another hobbyist here - just started soap making in late November so my 2020 list is very basic compared to all you guys!

1. Figure out my *for sure* favourite base recipe
2. Develop better swirl techniques (ITP, Taiwan, drop, etc)
3. Try out some piped tops! (VERY excited for this as a former baker)
4. Try goat milk soap for the first time (eek! this actually scares me)
5. Try out some different additives (coffee, honey, matcha, etc)
6. Play with embeds
7. Try out a Castille and/or Bastille recipe

Hmmm... it didn't for me at all, I had plenty of time to do an ITP swirl salt bar and brine soap. Worked wonderfully for both. I add my FO to my oils before adding lye, so I don't know if that makes a difference. Or maybe the formula changed? The last time I purchased was late 2018. FO's can be finicky - I have one that does something different every time I soap with it.

I went back and searched the reviews and the reports are all over the map! Some people get acceleration and ricing; some only get one; some make a point of saying they get neither! And the mixed bag goes all the way back to 2014, so I don't think it's a formula change.
Keeps things interesting!
The soaps look fine; can't even tell if it was acceleration or my own usually lumpy soap-making :p

Back