New yarn arrived!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is lovely, biarine. Sometimes I want to pick up a hook and see what I can do. However, my mom is a master at crocheting. I wanted to develop a talent of my own and not have it constantly compared to hers. (Childish, I know.)

It is interesting what threads make you think about. I was interested in trying lanolin in soaps, but remembered that I was given a beautiful crocheted afghan blanket by my sister which made me itch like crazy, I wonder if soapy lanolin would be the same? Will have to order a very little bit.

NA, you should check with your sister to find out what EXACTLY she used to crochet that afghan. There are soooo many different kinds of wool fibers it absolutely boggles the mind. It has to do with the staple length and the micron (thickness) of the wool. Wool from merino sheep has an average micron of 18 - 22, while wool from a BFL has 24 - 28. Shetland, which is amazing wool, can have a tremendous range depending on the breed, anywhere from the 20's all the way up to the 50's. Obviously, the higher the micron count, the courser the wool will feel. A lot of merino is used for socks and next to skin wear. Shetland is typically used for sweaters, coats, blankets and rugs. I love a good merino, alpaca blend. And if it has some silk or cashmere thrown in, oh my gosh! That is total freaking heaven! Don't give up on wool or lanolin. I'd love to make you a pair of mittens to try out. I.ve got some other projects on needles, but I'd love for you to try a good pair of merino mittens.

Wow I try to needle knit and am so slow so I learned loom knitting and that's what I do when I'm not gaming or soaping! Ravelry is my dream site and I love to drool over the patterns and finished makings there. I'm still working on my loom knit 10 stitch blanket that I only make with scrap yarn so it's all different shades, patterns, and colors... no rhyme or reason whatsoever, like me lol. I'm trying to learn how to crochet but am super slow with it too except for making the starting chains. Now that I can't walk well, I've been sitting here working on my blanket a lot the past few days since I can't make soap. It's such a stress reliever!

Mage: Dead. Freakin'. Serious.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Teresa, my sister actually got the afghan from a friend, who spent an ungodly amount of money on several of them at a charity auction, I think. So no way to know. I don't even know where it is now, it was so itchy I might have thrown it away. I would love to take you up on your mitten offer, but it would be a waste. My manual dexterity is so bad that I buy gloves in gross from the dollar store and cut off the finger tips so that I am less likely to drop things. I have tons and tons of mismatched "bum" gloves for when I walk the dogs when it is cold ....

That is lovely, biarine. Sometimes I want to pick up a hook and see what I can do. However, my mom is a master at crocheting. I wanted to develop a talent of my own and not have it constantly compared to hers. (Childish, I know.)

Thanks Teresa I just used cotton because more cheaper than merino or alpaca wool

Awesome photos. I'm jealous of both the lace and the color work. My talent is no where near either of those. I'll have to dig out some photos of the things I've made so far. I gave my boss a shawl when she transferred to Washington, DC so she'd remember me. However, as she said, I'm kind of unforgettable. HA!

I just went through my photos and realized I haven't taken that many photos of the projects I've done. Here's a funky hat I did that has three tassels on it. My boss liked it so much I made on for her in the Carolina Panther colors. Unfortunately, I shrunk and felted the hat. I didn't realize it was in a bunch of stuff I grabbed off the table & threw in the washer. So now my niece has a lovely pink hat to wear this winter. I also make my first pair of two at a time toe up socks. (And my first attempt at cabling.) The orange line at the toes is my "zipper" thread. I tend to get holes in the toes and I'm terrible at darning. I can just pick up along the orange line, unravel it, and create a new toe. In theory. I'm not sure about in reality, though! I tried uploading the shawl I gave my boss, but it wouldn't upload. Don't know why.

IMG_1291.jpg

IMG_1374.jpg

Marilyn, that spider web lace scarf.....OMG!!! I'm so fascinated by that type of knitting, I didn't even know it existed until I saw it on Ravelry. It is crazy beautiful. Biarine, what a lovely skirt and top, that was a lot of work. Teresa T, a question that I always have wanted to ask knitters of socks......"Why?" You do all that work, and then you stuff them into shoes or boots, and no one sees them. Is it a kind of secret thing like all day you say to yourself....."No one knows what spectacular socks I'm wearing....but me!"

At the rate I am going never LOL. I am 48 now so I guess when I am too old to walk the halls passing meds is when I will retire
Ah, you will be surprised at how quickly the time passes. I still can't believe that I'm retired (for just over a month now.) I keep expecting the phone to ring and someone to say...."Hey, aren't you supposed to be at work today, where are you?" It feels weird.

Teresa, my sister actually got the afghan from a friend, who spent an ungodly amount of money on several of them at a charity auction, I think. So no way to know. I don't even know where it is now, it was so itchy I might have thrown it away. I would love to take you up on your mitten offer, but it would be a waste. My manual dexterity is so bad that I buy gloves in gross from the dollar store and cut off the finger tips so that I am less likely to drop things. I have tons and tons of mismatched "bum" gloves for when I walk the dogs when it is cold ....

Here is a link to my favorite pattern for fingerless mitts. They knit up so fast. They're plain, nothing fancy, but if you make them with some fabulous yarn....they're gorgeous! If you click on the picture, you can see the whole mitt.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/easy-fingerless-mitts-2

Last edited:
Back