New yarn arrived!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am in a shawl club and my new yarn arrived today. It is a mixture of merino, polwarth and zwartbles. I've never heard of zwartbles before, but they're kind of cool looking and have an interesting history. Anyway, I cannot stop smelling this wool!! It is fabulous! It is real sheepy. I want to bottle that scent. I wonder if there is a Sheep FO. I know there is one called "Dirt" but I forget who makes it. Gosh, I love sheep. And horses. And cows. And goats. And lions. And tigers. And bears. Oh, my. (Yeah, ya knew that was coming.). I'm gonna go sniff some wool.:grin:

You say you're in a shawl club. You don't do any of that spider web lace technique, do you? OMG, I've seen pictures, but I'm not sure I'd ever be brave enough to attempt that. (Off to look up zwartbles.)

I am jealous of the fibre peeples.

and zwarbles zwarbles zwarbles!!

zwartbles.JPG

I have a fleece of Rambulette that I am in the process of cleaning and hopefully get my wool combs bought. I have never heard of zwartbles!! Beautiful sheep

I think "sheep FO" is called lanolin :) Seriously, it is supposed to be kind of sort of stinky but super emolliant and good in certain soap. Or maybe B&B? Can't remember now.

I am going to call you a crazy zwartble when I see you Sea. It will be our little joke!

Lanolin is not an fo, it is a waxy substance that coats the fur of sheep for protection. It is used in many cosmetics and even used right out of the jar. Anyone allergic to wool needs to test lanolin on a small area for allergic reactions.

Aren't those the cutest sheepies? Nav, not yet, but I'll get there eventually. The smallest needles I've ever used were #1 (US) to make baby socks. Tiny stitches for tiny feetz.

Artisan, I had to look up Rambouillet. I never heard of those either. It's amazing the number of breeds there are. I'm learning to spin (not going very well). I need to dedicate time to do it. I love hand spun fibers. They're great to work with. Do you dye also?

N_A you crack me up! LANOLIN! Who'd a thunk it? When I went to my first fiber fair I kept pawing the sheep and the fleeces to get some free lanolin. It was very stinky. But oh so yummy feeling. It makes my skin feel amazing.

Carolyn, good point. I feel sorry for anyone allergic to wool. They're missing out on so much natural goodness.

Aren't those the cutest sheepies? Nav, not yet, but I'll get there eventually. The smallest needles I've ever used were #1 (US) to make baby socks. Tiny stitches for tiny feetz.

I drool over pics of those spider webby shawls on Ravelry, hoping that some day I'm brave enough to give them a try. Until I discovered them there, I was unaware that any such incredible things existed. They are exquisite!
I went to an alpaca farm and bought a hank of yarn made from their alpacas, it is soooo soft. I'm still trying to figure out what to make with it. I only got the one, because it was expensive, so that kind of limits what I can make. Maybe a scarf, or some fingerless gloves that has a pattern of a branch and bird on it. It's a beautiful sky blue and every once in a while I pick it up and rub it against my cheek. Now that I've retired, I look forward to having more time for fun things like knitting. (And of course, soap!)

I drool over pics of those spider webby shawls on Ravelry, hoping that some day I'm brave enough to give them a try. Until I discovered them there, I was unaware that any such incredible things existed. They are exquisite!
I went to an alpaca farm and bought a hank of yarn made from their alpacas, it is soooo soft. I'm still trying to figure out what to make with it. I only got the one, because it was expensive, so that kind of limits what I can make. Maybe a scarf, or some fingerless gloves that has a pattern of a branch and bird on it. It's a beautiful sky blue and every once in a while I pick it up and rub it against my cheek. Now that I've retired, I look forward to having more time for fun things like knitting. (And of course, soap!)

This is my retirement dream: spin and dye my own yard to use and sell and to make soap to use and sell. I don't want to make a ton of money, just enough to break even and keep me in supplies. I just want to create. I want to knit when I feel like it. Make soap when I feel like it. Spin when I feel like it. I've spent my whole life at the beck and call of others, I am looking forward to doing what I want, when I want! Only 2,447 more days until I retire!

This is my retirement dream: spin and dye my own yard to use and sell and to make soap to use and sell. I don't want to make a ton of money, just enough to break even and keep me in supplies. I just want to create. I want to knit when I feel like it. Make soap when I feel like it. Spin when I feel like it. I've spent my whole life at the beck and call of others, I am looking forward to doing what I want, when I want! Only 2,447 more days until I retire!

I know exactly how you feel. I haven't been retired even a month yet, but let me tell you......it's gooooood! When you're close enough to be counting the days, that's a good thing. And when you're close enough to be counting the days, it starts to go fast. Except at the very end, then it creeps by. I was always amazed by all the people who would ask, "What are you going to do with yourself, aren't you going to be bored?" WHAT??? Bored? I have so many things that I love to do, but never had time for before, that I'm really looking forward to now. Wishing you many happy days of hours filled with things you love to do....you're going to love it!

Wow that's a beautiful combination of yarn. I remembered I got a merino jacket from my employer 10 years ago and its luxurious. I allergic to wool with the exception of merino, alpaca, llamas and camel but I never try silk and Kashmir

My MIL & FIL are sheep farmers. They have one of the best graded Marino wool in the country. I love sheep, they are so cute and awesome but just the thought of lanolin squicks me out. In my head its just hair grease but on sheep. Yuck. I know if I could get over the squick factor I could probably get and make a decent lanolin soap but still yuck cant do it. I get lotsa free spun wool when I want it though :D

There is a yearly sheep & wool festival at my county fair every year. It's amazing to go through the barns with booth after booth of people selling anything and everything sheep, goat, & alpaca related. So much yarn! I love the angora rabbit yarn. So soft!

Angora is very good but I am etching with the wool. Alpaca, Merino wool is my favourite

You and I have pretty much the same dream!

Critter, where are you located? I'm now hooked on fiber fairs. Dill, that is hilarious! Hair grease! I ever thought of it that way. Now I want to go to Whole Foods and ask for sheep hair grease!

Latest posts

Back