New Words

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdm

Reaction score
Considering the number of words that have been reintroduced to English recently, or have been made more common, or imported from elsewhere.
Here in the UK, for example, I believe "furlough" was an uncommon term until the pandemic. As a Software Engineer, I'm quite happy with "algorithms" but now everyone's an expert. R-numbers? Never heard of them.
Again, back to the UK. Now that we've left the European Union, it seems we have a shortage of everything, including truck drivers. Today's new word is "cabotage". It means that if a truck driver comes over from Europe with a load of goods, he can stay a while and do some local deliveries while he's here.
Anyone else got any new commonplace words (other than "saponification") perhaps specific to, or popularised by the pandemic?

Sourdough starter 🤣
When the pandemic banned everyone into home office, overnight everyone discovered this procrastination excuse hobby to combine spending time with untouched kitchen utensils, with lamenting about supply bottlenecks. I pretty much stopped baking bread back then; now that everyone was doing it, little of its elitist image has remained.
My new hobby was lamenting about the supidity obedience of people who bought out the 405 flour off the supermarket shelves, and despised the 550 flour (which is more appropriate for baking bread than 405, but this obviously hasn't been mentioned in the first two recipes that pop up on an online search of DIY bread).
Ohhh, I love all my contemporaries!!! 😬

To jab or not to jab, that is the question.

Jabber’s remorse (for those with side effects)

Plandemic

Cytokine storm

Virtual _____ (parties, movie nights, game nights, backgrounds, waiting room, breakout groups, church)

“You forgot to mute!!" (please, please mute! we don’t want to hear you eating Cheetos -or worse- during the meeting)

“I am not a cat!” (Search YT)

Last edited:
Back