New --with lots of questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catheford

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new at soap making--and already feeling addicted!

I have made 2 batches of soap already, and I believe they have come out great (of course they are still curing). I've been reading (a lot) of books and online and I have a few questions.

I was reading about Tussah Silk. Does anyone recommend it? And where is the best place to find it?

Also, I was wondering about jojoba beads. Can you use them in CP soap? Will they maintain their colors? They just look "fun!"

Ok--last question (for now :wink: ) At this point, I don't want to add colorants to the entire bar of soap. I'm making loaf soaps that are hand cut, and I'm interested in just the top "layer" having colorants, additives--seeds, oatmeal, etc. I also would like that layer to be "rough" looking -- not smooth--to give it a little character --kind of like icing on a cake. How do I do this? Do you add the top part at the same time or the next day? Any advice/tips would be appreciated.

Thank you so much! I've enjoyed reading a lot on here. So much to learn--yet so much fun!

I was reading about Tussah Silk. Does anyone recommend it? And where is the best place to find it?

Also, I was wondering about jojoba beads. Can you use them in CP soap? Will they maintain their colors? They just look "fun!"

Ok--last question (for now ) At this point, I don't want to add colorants to the entire bar of soap. I'm making loaf soaps that are hand cut, and I'm interested in just the top "layer" having colorants, additives--seeds, oatmeal, etc. I also would like that layer to be "rough" looking -- not smooth--to give it a little character --kind of like icing on a cake. How do I do this? Do you add the top part at the same time or the next day? Any advice/tips would be appreciated.
Welcome :) Nice to meet you..

Silk..I think www.the-sage.com sells it..not quiet sure on this..
Jojoba beads...yes you can put it into soap..although I would save them for creams etc..
A creative top is done by

Pouring a regular layer os thick soap on the bottom..leaving some soap out.. add color, and additive to that...by this time the layer should be firm enough to hold..add that on top and take a popcicle stick, a spatular and play with it.. and this will create a top...

Shannan, why wouldn't you want jojoba beads in CP? I know they are a lot of fun in M&P.

Well for me Tab, its too expensive, and it seems to be no benefits to it..not really scrubby for me..maybe in a body scrub or something..it just doesnt seem to do anything lol

Thanks for the responses and explanations. I was wondering, with the layer, I was worried about closing my mold box, then opening it again (or never closing it at all) to put the top "icing" layer on. Is this a problem? What do you do?

About the jojoba beads--I just wanted to try them on top for some sort of deco. Will the CP make the colors change or will they keep their vibrant colors?

I'm just loving this!

if the jojoba beads are those little teeny beads you see in liquid soap that pop and ooze jojoba, i don't know how they'd hold up to the lye (discolor or pop?).

Part of their appeal is being able to see them in the soap and CP is transparent so you'd only see what was sticking out of the soap.

catheford said:
Thanks for the responses and explanations. I was wondering, with the layer, I was worried about closing my mold box, then opening it again (or never closing it at all) to put the top "icing" layer on. Is this a problem? What do you do?

About the jojoba beads--I just wanted to try them on top for some sort of deco. Will the CP make the colors change or will they keep their vibrant colors?

I'm just loving this!

I actually put saran wrap over mine most part or unless you have an upright top where it doesnt hug the mold' s top and you and put that over it. The top should have been put on before you cover the bottom part of the soap. If you spinkle the jojoba beads on top of the soap...they will stay vibrant...

Thank you everyone! I think I'm going to try layering and using jojoba beads for deco!

Silk

I just ordered some silk after reading several folks here use it. I found it at http://store.scent-works.com/tusnoilsilfi.html

The price seemed reasonable to me since you only use a small amount. The shipping was steep unless you order a few more items. And I found a few more things I "needed". :D

I can't wait to try it out.

Silk

I just ordered some silk after reading several folks here use it. I found it at http://store.scent-works.com/tusnoilsilfi.html

The price seemed reasonable to me since you only use a small amount. The shipping was steep unless you order a few more items. And I found a few more things I "needed". :D

I can't wait to try it out.

Jojoba beads don't pop & ooze, they stay firm & wash down the drain. There are other beads that pop & ooze but I can't remember what they are called.

I have never found jojoba beads to be scrubby, they are for visual appeal for the most part, IMHO. They add to a soaps sale-ability I think cause everyone is curious about them. A little goes a long way to.

I have never used them in CP so I wonder how they would hold up as well.

Well since jojoba is a wax, it should do fine in CP. I have thought many times about trying it in a batch. Coloured beads would look good in a GM soap, me thinks! :wink:

Paul

Can't get soap out of mold!

Thanks for your responses. I got all my deluxe "goodies" in the mail this week--and I went to soaping yesterday.

I made my 1st batches a few weeks ago without grocery store items in cardboard boxes (to know if this was something to commit it) -- so my husband made some wooden molds for me for these batches (afterward he hinted that I should have ordered the TOGs) :wink:

Anyway-- I can't get the soap out of the mold!!

Any tips? He put in so many screws, and the sides don't come off (I told him not to worry about it--my fault!)

Will it draw up if I let it sit? Or should I unscrew all those tightly drilled screws :cry: ?

Thanks.

Back