New untested CP recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuneP

Reaction score
I'm getting a little squirrely having to wait another couple of months for my leg to heal till I can walk again and get my active life back. So, I've been reading the forum, watching a lot of soap making videos, etc.

Well I watched a video the other and the fellow generously gave his recipe, but I realized it had more Coconut oil than I like to use, and it had a lot more cocoa butter (something like 20%). So I decided to go to soap calc and see if I can come up with a recipe that has a higher content of butter than I use (I've been using 8-9% mango butter lately), and came up with this recipe to try in late July or early August if I'm walking and caught up with the house and garden
But I thought I'd share it here for some feedback or offer it if anyone else wants to try it.

SOAP JP 45HD 5 8 16 29.5OZOILS COCOA BUTTER.jpg

Additives aside (never used them save for the kaolin), I like the looks of this soap. I'd probably soap this at a 30% or slightly greater. Can I steal this and call it yours?

Absolutely you can use it and call it mine. I put it out there for anyone to share. Let me know how it works for you since I'm at two and a half months and probably a few more more than that from being able to make any soap.

Additives aside (never used them save for the kaolin), I like the looks of this soap. I'd probably soap this at a 30% or slightly greater. Can I steal this and call it yours?

This is probably one those silly questions; but why would you soap it at 30% instead of 28%. Faster?

A lot of people like a heavier lye concentration which results in less water and helps with faster set up, as well as other reasons. I find that the 28% works well for me as a starting point for a new recipe for my silicone molds; and with the addition of sodium lactate I can usually unmold my soaps that contain 48% hard oils, the next day with no problem; and I'm hoping that this recipe which has only 45% hard oils, because of the higher cocoa butter and palm oil, will do the same.

With the recipe I posted, if I find that with the palm and the 12% cocoa butter that it wants to trace faster than I want for a multi colored hanger or other swirls, I can easily lower the lye concentration and do a full water version.

This is probably one those silly questions; but why would you soap it at 30% instead of 28%. Faster?

A lot of people like a heavier lye concentration which results in less water and helps with faster set up, as well as other reasons. I find that the 28% works well for me as a starting point for a new recipe for my silicone molds; and with the addition of sodium lactate I can usually unmold my soaps that contain 48% hard oils, the next day with no problem; and I'm hoping that this recipe which has only 45% hard oils, because of the higher cocoa butter and palm oil, will do the same.

With the recipe I posted, if I find that with the palm and the 12% cocoa butter that it wants to trace faster than I want for a multi colored hanger or other swirls, I can easily lower the lye concentration and do a full water version.

Nothing silly about the question at all. I tend to soap without any additives, mostly because I forget and I want to know what a soap feels like in it's purest form sometimes. I also have had times where I could soap at 28% water and still have a fast trace due to soaping on the hot side. Generally speaking, this recipe is along the same lines of what I would use in a soap recipe. The unfortunate thing is that I have to wait til next month to try it.

Back