New to the addiction

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makes_scents

Reaction score
Tomorrow I will be gettin my soap on for the first time. I have my stuff (gloves and goggles included), Brambleberry order will be here tomorrow....weeeeee

This is either going to be a big success or a huge failure lol...hooked already and haven't even made my first batch. Good thing hubby loves me!

Thank you Arthur! I am calm as can be....NOT...but not nervous just REALLY excited. I have been researching and learning for about a year now. I love creative stuff and science stuff so this hobby should be right up my alley!

Any tips on how Herbal Essence from Brambleberry behaves? Anything I need to be aware of when using the scent? Ricing, acceleration, discoloring?

I agree with Craig. Leave out anything that may misbehave. You have enough variables on your plate right now without complicating your first soap. If you must have scent, you can go to Hobby Lobby or GNC and buy some lemongrass EO that is well behaved(though expensive if purchased those places).

I totally scented my first three batches of soap. I don't really regret doing that. It's a risk, but I took it. Got lucky and everything was fine. Though it was reassuring to first read the reviews of soapers experience with each one. I avoided anything that was reported to accelerate trace.

Someday something terribly wrong will happen with my soap, but so far every batch has been a success.I thought for sure since I was (and still am) a newbie I'd screw things up a lot. You'll be fine. Just don't be discouraged if whenever things go sour. Have fun!

It's almost impossible to resist the urge to do fragrance and color on your first batch...I'm guilty of that as well. Go for it and have fun...yeah things go wrong but only ONCE cause you never make that mistake again...lol.
Remember, the color or pattern might note be just right, you may have some bubble holes in your bars ect...it's all in the process of learning. Like your first child, your first loaf is a free for all...the next one will be better and better.
IMHO, if you can use your first attempt to clean yourself, you won.
If I could give you one word of advice, I would say: Never say "Oops", say "There!". I recently used too much green mica in my eucalyptus bar, along with too much chopped eucalyptus leaves. The result was a bar that was just ugly (oops) but all those leaves made for a great scrubbing bar, so I called it my "butt ugly scrub bar" and gave it to my older nephews who just loved it (There!). Always repurpose!

Sending you positive vibes for a successful batch!

The thing I remember most about my first batch was the weird smell (not bad) when the oils and lye mixed.

Don't worry, just enjoy the ride....

Jim

I have always been a "go big or go home" kind of gal. Thank you everyone for the advice! I shall post pics when I am done molding, cutting and eventually curing even if it is an ugly batch.

Things I learned tonight:

1. Herbal Essence FO from BB eats through plastic dixie cups
2. The very slight ricing caused by the FO is easily fixed thanks to OCD youtube habit.
3. I hope all my batches behave like this, but don't expect that they will

That was fun and extremely relaxing even for the first batch.

DSCF4939.JPG

DSCF4942.JPG

DSCF4943.JPG

Have a little bit of soda ash, got a partial gel and the bars will need cleaned up when cured, BUT I would call this batch a success....now the long wait begins....

11903343_940879165975493_1334848552_n.jpg

11880728_940879119308831_900204870_n.jpg

11910768_940879162642160_1556900929_n.jpg

11938943_940879142642162_1872874881_n.jpg

11951059_940879172642159_595021740_n.jpg

Back