New to soaping

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug F

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I have been reading your forum for about a month and would like to introduce myself. I have about 5 batches of CP soap under my belt and this site has helped tremendously. I have been minimalistic with color and fragrance so far, but would like to step it up some. I have always liked the scent of Dr Bonner's Sal Suds and am thinking a Pine needle EO colored w/powdered marjoram. Does this sound like it will make a nice green bar?
Also, I just bought and rendered 10 pounds of kidney suet and am playing around with different recipes on soapcalc to incorporate. This will also be my first time with beef tallow. Any advice or recipes for would be appreciated.

Hi doug,

I haven't used pine eo, marjoram, or tallow myself, so i can't advise anything other than welcome to this crazy and fun addiction :)

Welcome! I'm glad to hear you are off to a good start. I have not tried marjoram for color, but love parsley. As for the tallow, I think you will love it. My 2 favorite recipes have 20-30% tallow. It helps make a nice, hard bar and feels good on the skin. You are on the right track. Play around with soapcalc and you'll find something I'm thinking you'll love.

Someone else will have to chime in about the eo.

Marjoram will turn brown in CP. Most natural greens do that :-( Some people have had luck with parsley powder, kelp powder, and spirulina. In my experience, they all turned brown either within a few weeks or immediately upon being exposed to any sunlight.

For a green that lasts, you could try chromium oxide. It's a pigment colorant you can get from most soap suppliers, it's cheap and a tiny amount goes a long way.

I have found that nettle or comfrey make a nice olive or pine green, depending on the amount. Not sure how they hold up in sunlight.

My advice is to try some French green clay to color your soap. It does not turn brown and produces a nice muted green. I wouldn't go over 30%-40% tallow and would use coconut, olive and Castor oils for the balance.

I'm with lsg on suggesting French green clay. It will also add some nice 'slip' to your soap. I find I prefer fir needle EO to pine EO, I can't help but associate pine with Pine-Sol. Spruce EO is my favorite, but the price is sky high right now.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, it's a wonderful place to hang out when you're not actually soaping :)

Well my girl told me that my soap smells like dirty mop water...won't be using the pine oil again. Hope it mellows a little.

Latest posts

Back