new to soaping& need to know if i can hp with ground spices, please help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
new to soaping and hoping this will work, please help

*10% sf( I need serious moisture without loosing too much bubble bc I can't see without my contacts in and need to be able to see that it's getting into my hair lol)
*32% lard
*26.5% coconut oil 76 degree*( I have an oily scalp but dry statiky ends)
*20% olive oil
*12.5% castor oil
*9%shea butter
water : lye ratio 2.8459 :1

I will be doing hp

and soap calc shows that it is a fairly balanced recipe except it's low on the cleansing side( but INS of 156 so it's almost an ideally balanced bar according to the research I did when learning what INS stands for)

no additives * although I kinda really want to try adding some pumpkin pie spice *McCormic brand ground spice mix) to give gentle exfoliation and a light autumn type aroma, Do you think it will work? The batch is pretty mush totally set aside for my mom and sister who obsessed with that pumpkin pie type of aroma.

I have only been soaping for a few days( this is my second batch of real soap and it's hp)
I am in the process of making *this recipe* and want to know if I can use McCormick ground pumpkin pie spice to add gentle exfoliation and mild aroma, will it act funny or cause skin irritation?

* The batch is pretty mush totally set aside for my mom and sister who obsessed with that pumpkin pie type of aroma. *

*10% sf( I need serious moisture without loosing too much bubble bc I can't see without my contacts in and need to be able to see that it's getting into my hair lol)
*32% lard
*26.5% coconut oil 76 degree*( I have an oily scalp but dry statiky ends)
*20% olive oil
*12.5% castor oil
*9%shea butter
water : lye ratio 2.8459 :1

soap calc shows that it is a fairly balanced recipe except it's low on the cleansing side( but INS of 156 so it's almost an ideally balanced bar according to the research I did when learning what INS stands for)

no additives

The spices won't scent your soap. If you want pumpkin pie scent, you need to buy a fragrance oil. That will not be a good shampoo bar, its too cleansing and lard makes a lot of soap scum, it very likely will dry out your hair and weigh it down.

You also want a low SF for a shampoo bar, too much excess oil will leave your hair gunky. Increasing the SF doesn't add moisture, it just helps your skin not be so stripped of oils so its not so dry.

Have you read the enormous thread on shampoo bars? Its worth the read if you plan on using shampoo bars, they need to be specially formulated.
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=30946

Last edited:
I have not used the pumpkin pie spice specifically, but will tell you what I have experienced with other ground spices. You likely will get a bit of scrubbies from the spice, but do not expect any scent. It will not survive the process. As for the low cleansing numbers, don't worry about that. That is more to do with oil-grabbing. Did you read the Soap Qualities page at SoapCalc?
http://soapcalc.net/info/SoapQualities.asp

Oh, yes, and what Obsidian said. I LOVE my lard, and even use quite a bit of tallow. But for a shampoo bar, I prefer a veggie soap.

I think you should still drop your CO to 20% unless you have tried it before.

If you want the scent of pumpkin pie spice, you should use the following EOs in this proportion:

Cinnamon bark 6 parts
Ginger root 2 parts
Nutmeg 2 parts
Allspice 1.5 parts
Cloves 1.5 parts

If you are making a 1 lb of oil batch, just use 1 part = 1 gram, if making a larger batch, increase as needed. This will leave the "irritating" EOs at a low enough percentage not to be a problem.

The spices' scent is just not going to come through like you think it is. You need to use EOs.

Last edited:
I answered this on the other thread. It would be better if you did not double post questions.
sorry for the double post my computer freaked out and shut down during the posting and when i finaly got it back up the post was nowhere to be found.
it took nearly an hour to fix my pc.

Back