New to soap.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Enjoying your group! Just began teaching myself to make soap (cp). First batch was February 2022. So far lots of lessons. Added information: I am patient, curious about how things work, and always wanting to create something. I love to read and research. Some years ago I taught myself to make bath bombs. They are temperamental but not impossible. Then taught myself to make a balm and various potions made with cocoa butter etc. That is where I learned what "trace" was. Had some butters left from bath bombing and decided to use them up before they spoiled. Thus began my soap making journey. Looking forward to sharing anything that may be helpful to others, and learning whatever I can from everyone here.

Last edited:
Welcome.gif

ADVICE TO BEGINNERS

The recommendations are excellent. Small batches for sure. Have been using soapcalc but will explore the soaping calculator here. Will never make soap w/o putting recipe through the calculator. Ingredients are way to expensive to waste! Don't need an official mold for beginning. Lined a small narrow cardboard box with freezer wrap and that worked perfectly. Recently used a 19 oz. wax lined paper cup and it is a great mold for round soaps. Simply tear the paper cup away when ready to un-mold the soap. I print out the soap calc page and check off the ingredients as they are added. Make notes on the same page. Suppliers...forgot to add that info thank you for reminder! The dog gets shooed out of the kitchen. Fan on, windows cracked a bit open. Use a tall #5 plastic lidded container for lye. Use a few ice cubes with water to keep lye temps down. So far I like low temp soaping (124 ish or less.) Biggest lessons? There is a lot to learn. Take nothing for granted. Be grateful for those who share recipes and provide honest opinions. Give up trying to explain to many people that there is NO LYE left in the soap if it is properly made.

So what's the verdict? Do you like it? Do you have pictures? We want pictures! Welcome!
I love it! By the time I got half the batch colored with mica it was hard to pour let alone swirl. But it is lovely. I love it. Thank you for asking ! p.s. Goodwill had new sleeves of coffee cups for $1.99 and they were waxed inside. These are wonderful for small batches.

. Agree. Also no guests or husbands ! ha ha. I put the dog out of the kitchen, turn the fan on low, crack the windows. No interruptions either. The learning process is not a simple one.

Attachments

• IMG_4258.jpeg
    IMG_4258.jpeg
    46 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4257.jpeg
    IMG_4257.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4255.jpeg
    IMG_4255.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4254.jpeg
    IMG_4254.jpeg
    47.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4258.jpeg
    IMG_4258.jpeg
    46 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4257.jpeg
    IMG_4257.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4255.jpeg
    IMG_4255.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4254.jpeg
    IMG_4254.jpeg
    47.2 KB · Views: 10
Hi and welcome! Great find, those coffee cups are a perfect improvised mould, and your soap looks lovely.

Back