New to soap making

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonphill08

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm new to liquid castile soap making and am still learning. I made a pure olive oil liquid soap and it turned out great. But now I would like to make a recipe of my own with coconut oil, olive oil, and grapeseed oil. I would also love to learn to use 100% glycerin instead of water and learn how to use a soap calculator.

Last edited:
Welcome.gif

I would also love to learn to use 100% glycerin instead of water
Carrie Petersen's GLS (Glycerin Liquid Soap) set the standard for subbing glycerin for water back in 2011. We have come a long way since then. It is NOT recommended for beginners due to the high heat involved (over 210°F), scorching and possible toxic fumes if the glycerin overheats. It is highly adivised that you dissolve the KOH in 1/3 or 1/2 of the water portion; heat the glycerin portion separately and add it a bit at a time to the lye solution. TAKE GOOD CARE.
I would like to make a recipe of my own with coconut oil, olive oil, and grapeseed oil.
:thumbs: Sounds good. 50% coconut + 50% liquid oils of choice is a good combo. You can use a higher % of coconut oil in LS than you would hard bars.

What to Expect From Various Oils in LS

Plan on spending a good amount of time over a 2-week period calculating tried and true recipes to get the hang of it. It does take time at first, but it gets easier the more you do it. You can get good advice and tips if you post recipes in the Recipe Feedback Forum for input.

Back