New to Soap Making

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marciab80

Reaction score
Hi! I am new to this forum and I am tryig to learn to make soap. this is my very first attemp. please give me your opinion.
I am learning and practicing so I didn't use anything fancy. just whatever I had home. coconut, corn oil and olive blended with soy, castor... I used tagerine peel and juice for 1. I used carrots purê for another one. the ones with milks didn't bwork so well. amd play. the green one is green tea

Attachments

• 20211206_020304.jpg
    20211206_020304.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 20211205_235711.jpg
    20211205_235711.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Welcome to SMF, @marciab80 !

These are quite lovely soaps, for a “very first attempt”, that isn't “anything fancy”! Great to see you have no fear of contact, and you're eager to play around and learn.

More often than not, using mostly “healthy” cooking oils for soaping isn't ideal – the soaps tend to need very long to harden up, and dissolve quickly when used. Coconut doesn't help much with that. But such experiments are a precious experience nonetheless! You know that soapmaking is no witchery, and you can judge better the zillions of recipes and advice out there, about hard oils, maximum usage rates…

Welcome. I also used whatever oils I had on hand when I started making soap. I think it's a natural thing to do. There is plenty of time to start buying oils dedicated to soap making and not purchased for cooking at all. But I do still cook with some of them, just more of it goes into making soap.

Your soaps are pretty. Hot process? Milk soaps are a bit tricky when you're new, in my experience, so don't feel bad. The tangerine soap turned out very pretty and the pink soap is a lovely shade of pink, by the way.

Welcome. I also used whatever oils I had on hand when I started making soap. I think it's a natural thing to do. There is plenty of time to start buying oils dedicated to soap making and not purchased for cooking at all. But I do still cook with some of them, just more of it goes into making soap.

Your soaps are pretty. Hot process? Milk soaps are a bit tricky when you're new, in my experience, so don't feel bad. The tangerine soap turned out very pretty and the pink soap is a lovely shade of pink, by the way.
it's cold pressed

Cold Pressed is an oil production process in which no heat or chemicals are used to extract oil from the fruits (olives, etc.) Link: oil extraction | chemistry

The soap making method is called Cold Process, which although does not use added heat when making soap (in other words, we don't cook the soap while making it), it is obviously not heat-free because lye is exothermic (meaning it produces heat on its own when mixed with a catalyst, such as water). Link to processes of making hand-crafted soap: 5 Ways to make Handmade Soap

I am gonna create a folder with plastic paler holder and place all that informations.
1 for my receipes and one with all the oild information. plus on computer too. once I am a bit more advanced. it's hard for me to do that at home because it's dangerous and I must wait my toddler sleep. so it's gonna take me a while.

Back