New to soap making

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodger

Reaction score
I have made bar soap 4 times well really 3 my first one turned out to be slime. next 2 were ok my 4th was hard as rock , I have a long way to go I would like some simple recipes with color and sent. I'm not making to sale on making for my family. Any help would be appreciated.

You may want to post the recipes you used and how you went about making your soap. You should include the weight of all the ingredients you used, especially for your first soap attempt. The elder soapers can help you out more than I can. :)

Other than that, Welcome and hi. :mrgreen:

Actually recipes can be found all over the forum, however, they are buried in threads. The forum mentioned above is mostly a recipe request place. I would advise, rather, that you read about the first 5 or so pages of threads in the beginner forum. That should yield both recipes, and the discussion about recipes that the OP needs. It would also be very helpful for the OP to read the stickies in the beginner forum.

It depends on your recipe. If it is 100% olive oil, this is expected. Let it cure a year, then try it again. If it is not high/100% olive oil, then maybe nothing but a rebatch can help. But we must know the recipe before we can tell.

If your soap turns out slimy is there anything you can do?

If it is a high olive oil soap, I'd recommend waiting at least 6 months. But if you just can't STAND it (I get it, I've been there,) you can shred it and mix the shreds with a different recipe to make a confetti soap. So if your soap is high in olive oil, make a batch of soap that has a lower amount of olive oil and mix the shreds into that soap batter.

Soap slime... give your soaps a longer cure and keep their bottoms dry in a soap dish with drain holes. I like to put my bars upright in the dish so that the most surface area is hitting the air and keep the shower spray off of them when not in use.

Welcome, Dodger! :wave:

As the others have said, if you post the recipes you've been using so far (and also what kind of qualities you'd best like to see in your finished soap), we can help you troubleshoot and tweak things so that they turn out more to your liking.

In the meantime, you'll find lots and lots of recipes and lots and lots of advice on how to tweak them here (I used the 'advanced search' feature and clicked on 'search titles only ' using the word 'recipe' as the search criteria)

IrishLass :)

Recipe:
80% lard
10% Coconut
5% olive
5 % castor
Add some sugar or honey, possibly substitute some or all of the water for aloe, coconut milk or some other fluid containing some sugars.

Run all of this through a lye calculator like soapcalc ( there is a link to it in the beginners section).

Welcome to the forum.
Stick around and try to be patient with yourself - there is a lot to be learned about making the "perfect" bar of soap for you.

Here is what happened I used an old old scale so I didn't get the ounces right I was trying to heat up the Virgin olive oil and mix the lye at the same time I got the oil way to hot, I need just a simple mix.

Back