New to soap making - reqiesting help on essential oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apaul

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am very new to CP soap making. I am trying to make my first soap in the coming week. The only knowledge I have is watching youtube videos and reading forms.

My plan is to make a 33/33/33% Olive/Palm/Coconut blend with some essential oils.

So of the form posting I read states do not use cinnamon/clove oils etc.. due to skin irritation.

Is there any place I could read about these essential oils and its side effects?

Thanks,
APaul

Hey apaul I googled it for you and got this link--> http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/natural-essential-oils/list-of-essential-oils.html

As far as side effects go, there can be many factors involved, But if you just looking at witch one will sensitize the skin here is a link and some info i pulled off someones ebay page. --> http://www.essentialoils.co.za/irritation.htm#Essential oils that may cause skin irritation

Never, Never, NEVER Use These Essential Oils
Unless under the supervision of a certified and registered Aromatherapist, do not even be tempted to smell these oils!

Ajowan
Trachyspermum copticum - dermal (skin) irritant, possibly irritating to mucous membranes (ex. the membranes inside your nose), and must not be used during pregnancy

Almond, Bitter
Prunus dulcis - contains prussic acid, also known as hydrocyanic acid or cyanide, is a well-known poison; also contains the moderately toxic benzaldehyde

Allspice, Leaf and Berry
Pimenta dioica - dermal (skin) irritant; and, due to the eugenol content, very irritating to mucous membranes (ex. the
membranes inside your nose)

Anise, Star
Illicium verum - although it does not seem to be toxic when used as recommended, if you use too much it can slow down your circulation and lead to cerebral (brain) disorders, so it is best to avoid it alltogether
Many retail stores sell star anise essential oil despite the safety concerns - do not assume that just because you see it on the retail shelf that it is safe!
Aniseed
Pimpinella anisum - causes dermatitis, and, like star anise, if you use too much it can slow down your circulation and
lead to cerebral (brain) disorders, so it is best to avoid it alltogether

Arnica
Arnica montana - the essential oil is highly toxic, however tinctures or homeopathic remedies are safe and very useful

Basil, Exotic
Ocimum basilicum - these safety cautions only apply to exotic basil, and not to French basil (although they have the same latin name, they are made up of dramatically different constituents); moderately toxic, dermal (skin) irritant, and may be carcinogenic (causes cancer)

Birch, Sweet
Betula lenta - although the methyl salicylate contained in sweet birch isn't exactly toxic, if you use too much it can be very harmful and so best to avoid altogether

Boldo
Peumus boldus - extremely toxic

Broom, Spanish
Spartium junceum - toxic due to the sparteine content

Buchu
Agothosma betulina - should not be used during pregnancy or be used around anyone who is pregnant

Calamus
Acorus calamus var. angustatus - an oral toxin, plus strongly suspected of being carcinogenic (causes cancer)

Camphor, Brown and Yellow
Cinnamonomum camphora - brown and yellow camphor contain safrol and are toxic and carcinogenic (causes cancer); white camphor is relatively non-toxic

Cassia
Cinnanomum cassia - dermal (skin) toxin, irritant, and sensitizer; and very irritating to mucous membranes (ex. the membranes inside your nose)
Watch out for cassia essential oil - I don't know why, but it is popularly used by handcrafted soapmakers (who are unaware of the risks), especially in abrasive (exfolliating) soaps

Cedarwood, Texas or Virginian
Juniperus ashei and Juniperus virginiana, repectively - use Atlas cedarwood instead, as these two kinds of cedarwood can cause acute local irritation

Chervil
Anthriscus cerefolium - strong irritant and toxin, highly suspected of being carcinogenic (causes cancer)

Cinnamon, Bark
Cinnamomum zeylanicum - the leaf oil is relatively non-toxic, but the bark essential oil is a dermal (skin) toxin, irritant, and sensitizer; it is also very irritating to mucous membranes (ex. the membranes inside your nose)
I have heard of beauty magazines publishing homemade lipbalm recipes calling for the spice cinnamon - cinnamon spice is made from the bark, and I have had to explain to people that this is why the lip balm made their lips burn!

Clove, Leaf and Stem
Syzygium aromaticum - dermal (skin) irritant and very irritating to mucous membranes (ex. the membranes inside your nose); clove bud essential oil is a less toxic alternative because it contains less eugenol (but still use cautiously)

Costus
Saussurea costus - severe dermal (skin) sensitizer (causes allergic reactions in people who do not have allergies)

Deertongue
Carphephorus odoratissimus - anecdotally has caused liver damage and hemorrhages, plus the lactones can cause dermal irritation

Elecampane
Inula helenium - although it is non-toxic, it is a severe dermal (skin) sensitizer (in clinical tests it caused "extremely severe allergic reactions" in 23 out of 25 volunteers)

Fennel, Bitter
Foeniculum vulgare - causes sensitization (allergy-like symptoms) and should never be used on the skin - if you must use fennel, make sure it is sweet fennel (not bitter fennel)

Horseradish
Armoracia rusticana - an oral toxin, dermal (skin) irritant, and very irritating to mucous membranes (ex. the membranes inside your nose)

Jaborandi
Pilocarpus jaborandi - an oral toxin, skin irritant, and will cause medically dangerous spontaneous abortions in pregnant women

Melilotus
Melilotus officinalis - in 1953 many countries, including the USA, banned Melilotus from use due to toxicity levels

Mugwort
Artemisia vulgaris - an oral toxin due to high thujone content, and will cause medically dangerous spontaneous abortions in pregnant women

Mustard
Brassica nigra - mustard essential oil is considered to be one of the most toxic of all essential oils; an oral toxin, dermal (skin) toxin, and very irritating to mucous membranes (ex. the membranes inside your nose)

Narcissus
Narcissus poeticus - besides causing headaches and vomiting, Narcissus profoundly effects the nervous system and can
cause paralysis

Oregano, Common and Spanish
Origanum vulgare and Thymus capitatus, respectively - dermal (skin) toxin and irritant, and very irritating to mucous membranes (ex. the membranes inside your nose)

Pennyroyal
Mentha pulegium - an oral toxin that also causes medically dangerous spontaneous abortions in pregnant women

Pine, Dwarf
Pinus mugo var. pumilio - dermal (skin) irritant that causes sensitization (allergic reactions in people who do not have allergies)

Rue
Ruta graveolens - the essential oil is highly toxic, however homeopathic remedies are safe and very useful; specifically an oral toxin, dermal (skin) irritant, very irritating to mucous membranes (ex. the membranes inside your nose), and causes medically dangerous spontaneous abortions in pregnant women

Sage, Common
Salvia officinalis - an oral toxin that causes medically dangerous spontaneous abortions in pregnant women; although they should be avoided in pregnancy, Spanish Sage and Clary Sage are otherwise non-toxic alternatives

Santolina
Santolina chamaecyparissus - an oral toxin

Sassafras
Sassafras albidum - highly toxic, highly irritant, carcinogenic (causes cancer), and causes medically dangerous spontaneous abortions in pregnant women

Savine
Juniperus sabina - an oral toxin and dermal (skin irritant), it is banned from sale in many countries because of its effect on circulation and for causing medically dangerous spontaneous abortions in pregnant women

Savory, Summer and Winter
Satureja hortensis and Satureja montana, respectively - dermal (skin) toxin and irritant, very irritating to mucous membranes (ex. the membranes inside your nose), and causes medically dangerous spontaneous abortions in pregnant women

Tagetes
Tagetes minuta - strongly suspected of causing dermatitis and considered generally harmful

Tansy
Tanacetum vulgare - an oral toxin due to high thujone content, and causes medically dangerous spontaneous abortions in pregnant women

Tarragon
Artemisia dracunculus - the essential oil is moderately toxic due to methyl chavicol, but more importantly it is suspected to be carcinogenic (causes cancer) and must not be used during pregnancy

Thuja
Thuja occidentalis - the essential oil is highly toxic, however homeopathic remedies are safe and very useful; an oral toxin, to the extent of being poisonous, and causes medically dangerous spontaneous abortions in pregnant women

Thyme, Red, Serpolet (wild), and "thymol" and "carvacrol" types
Thymus vulgaris - the lemon and "linalol" types are generally less toxic and considered safe for use on the skin and with children (white thyme is often adulterated and should be avoided); contain large amounts of toxic phenols, dermal (skin) irritant, very irritating to mucous membranes (ex. the membranes inside your nose), and must be avoided during pregnancy or if you have high blood pressure

Tonka
Dipteryx odorata - an oral and dermal (skin) toxin because of its coumarin content

Turpentine
Pinus palustris and other Pinus species labeled as "Turpentine" - turpentine essential oil is an environmental hazard and a marine pollutant

Wintergreen
Gaultheria procumbens - the essential oil is a toxin, irritant, and sensitizing; in fact, wintergreen essential oil is considered environmentally hazardous and a marine pollutant
Many retail stores sell wintergreen essential oil despite the safety issues - do not assume that just because you see it on the retail shelf that it is safe!

Wormseed
Chenopodium ambrosioides var. anthelminticum - a very toxic essential oil that can explode when heated due to ascaridole content

Wormwood
Artemisia absinthium - extremely toxic, and will cause medically dangerous spontaneous abortions in pregnant women

Credit for the list goes to ebay user freedomforhealth. (If he got this info from somewhere else i do not know.)

i hope this helps and good luck on your soap.

Last edited:
Here is a few more i was not able to pit on the first page.

Additional Essential Oils to Avoid Using on the Skin
These can be used on the skin at half strength (make sure to confirm that when using already-made aromatherapy products). Never apply these neat (directly and undiluted) to the skin).
Basil, Sweet (or Lemon Balm or Melissa) - Melissa officinalis
Black Pepper - Piper nigrum
Borneol - Dryobalanops aromatica
Cajeput - Melaleuca cajeputi
Caraway - Carum carvi
Cinnamon, Leaf - Cinnamomum zeylanicum
Clove, Bud - Syzygium aromaticum
Cornmint - Mentha arvensis
Eucalyptus, Common - Eucalyptus globulus
Garlic - Allium sativum
Ginger - Zingiber officinale
Lemon - Citrus limon
Parsley - Petroselinum sativum
Peppermint - Mentha piperita
Pine Needle (Scotch and longleaf) - Pinus sylvestris and Pinus palustris, respectively
Thyme, White - Thymus vulgaris, specifically "White"
Tumeric - Curcuma longa

Additional Essential Oils to Avoid During Pregnancy
Angelica - Angelica archangelica
Basil, Sweet (or Lemon Balm or Melissa) - Melissa officinalis
Bay Laurel - Laurus Nobilis
Calamintha - Calamintha officinalis
Cedarwood, Atlas - Cedrus atlantica
Celery Seed - Apium graveolens
Cinnamon Leaf - Cinnamomum zeylanicum
Citronella - Cymbopogon nardus
Clary Sage - Salvia sclarea
Clove Bud - Syzygium aromaticum
Cumin - Cuminum cyminum
Fennel, Sweet - Foeniculum vulgare
Hyssop - Hyssopus officinalis
Juniper Berry - Juniperus communis
Labdanum - Cistus ladanifer
Lovage - Levisticum officinale
Marjoram, Sweet - Origanum marjorana
Myrrh - Commiphora myrrha
Nutmeg - Myristica fragrans
Parsley - Petroselinum sativum
Snakeroot - Asarum canadense
Sage, Spanish - Salvia lavandulifolia
Thyme, White - Thymus vulgaris, specifically "White"
Also avoid these essential oils during the first four months of pregnancy
Peppermint - Mentha piperita
Rose - all Rosa species, including Rose x centifolia and Rosa damascena
Rosemary - Rosemarinus officinalis

Additional Essential Oils to Avoid if You Have High Blood Pressure
Thyme, All Varieties - Thymus vulgaris

Additional Essential Oils to Avoid if You Have Epilepsy
Clary Sage - Salvia sclarea
Fennel, Sweet - Foeniculum vulgare

Additional Essential Oils to Avoid if You Have Kidney Disease
Juniper Berry - Juniperus communis

Additional Essential Oils to Avoid if You Have Diabetes
Angelica - Angelica archangelica

Here is one more link if you read this far.--> http://eethomp.com/AT/irritants.html

Last edited:
Thank you so much! That's what exactly I was looking for

I went thru most of them.. Now its getting difficult to identify the safe oils :)

I went thru most of them.. Now its getting difficult to identify the safe oils :)

Yea no problem, its not a complete list, but its what i was able to find for you at the time. Im glad it helped.
Dont be afraid or get deter'd. I have not had any problems with my eo's, Most have medicinal qualitys. Just be careful of how much you use and what you are using. If you need any help you can ask us in the forum about the eo's you are using in particular, and we can try and guide you to a safe decision.:thumbup:
Have fun and good luck with your soap.

Just wanted to add, that if you are going to go threw the list to keep in mind that there are many ways to apply essential oils.
I presume the person who wrote those descriptions originally might have been thinking of using them in another manner then the manner you will be using them. (soap)
That is not to say the description does not apply. Just means there are many uses and many factors to be applied depending on what are are going to use the eo's for.

And I use cassia and clove both in soaps. You just need to watch how much you use. I just make sure to keep it under 5 ml per pound of oil each.(They are strongly scented EO's anyway.)

I too use cassia and clove as well as cedarwood. Just make sure you are using them at the appropriate rates. If you go to the Brambleberry site they have a FO/EO calculator that is pretty useful.

I use cassia, clove, anise, and cedarwood, wintergreen and sage. There is really nothing on this earth that is not an irritant to someone. I second Shunts post that B&B fragrance is very handy, especially until you are comfortable with using eo's

Hello

I beleive that soap can be made using those 2 essential oils you mentioned, however you need to work out its formulation regarding the ammount of E.O you are going to use, for i beleive it can achieve medicinal properties wihout using the same ammount of E.O one whould you with lavender or any other oil which doesnt prove harmful to skin.
As a general rule the ammount of EO used when making cosmetic/medicinal recipes, is 1% to 5% of the total weight(1ml is equal to 20 drops of EO).
you will however have to use an artificial scent.

Back