New to soap making. Looking for advise!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mmini1990

Reaction score
Good morning! I apologize if this is a common thread here,

I am looking to make my first batch of soap. With a quick back story, I have Ben using a “Name brand” soap featuring a Sasquatch for a while now. I have horrible skin allergies to fragrance and have been loving that company’s pine soap. However, due to the limited use I get from it, and the expense, I am trying to see if making my own would be a wise decision.

Each bar costs me about 8$ and lasts a month if I’m lucky using it only 2 of 3 days. Third day I am working for 24 hours and use a different soap. I am looking for some insight on a recipe idea and wether or not I should do the make your own or just keep with my current. I have figured approx. 60$ to get this batch off and running. Using hot so I can cut down on curing time.

My though is as fallows. Using hot process,
Olive oil
Coconut oil
Palm oil
Shea butter
Essential oils of pine and espresso
Coffee grounds for exfoliating

I also would like to use pine tar, however after a bit of research believe that use of it in a hot process would be outside my non existent skill set.

I am looking for a nice woodsy coffee sent.

if anyone has any insight or recommendations on ratios I would love some input. Thank you!!

$60 for one batch of soap seems a bit high. Especially for a first batch. Unless you have a lot of money to waste, I would recommend making a small (500g) batch and using oils that are fairly inexpensive. You can get most of the oils you mentioned from local grocery stores (even organic) without spending too much money. Lye you will likely have to order online, but it's pretty cheap. Same with palm oil and Shea. Also, check around to different online suppliers. Prices vary a lot from one to another.

$60 for one batch of soap seems a bit high. Especially for a first batch. Unless you have a lot of money to waste, I would recommend making a small (500g) batch and using oils that are fairly inexpensive. You can get most of the oils you mentioned from local grocery stores (even organic) without spending too much money. Lye you will likely have to order online, but it's pretty cheap. Same with palm oil and Shea. Also, check around to different online suppliers. Prices vary a lot from one to another.

will do. I figured that price for everything even the coffee lol. I am trying use 100 percent organic and sustainable ingredients.
Also, the lye, can I use the stuff from the hardware store? I was going to order stuff online but my ace hardware carries it as well.
I also am not sure on the quantity of ingredients needed for a batch. Or how much 500g makes bar wise. I am looking to get at least 8 bars that are about 6oz.

You're lucky if your Ace sells lye. Mine does not and I can't find it anywhere except online. If what the hardware store has shows that it contains lye only and no other ingredients, I would say it's safe to use. If there are other ingredients listed, I wouldn't use it.

8 6oz bars would be a pretty large batch IMO. If something goes wrong it could all end up in the trash.

Do you have a recipe you're following or have you tried to soap calculators? With the soap calculators, you put in the amount of oils you want to use (for example 500g), then do the percentages of each. The soap calculator will tell you what kind of soap you'll end up with ... how long lasting, bubbles etc.
Here's a link on some really helpful info: https://classicbells.com/soap/soapyStuff.asp including safety precautions with regard to use of lye etc. There is also info on what each of the calculators measurements mean.

You're lucky if your Ace sells lye. Mine does not and I can't find it anywhere except online. If what the hardware store has shows that it contains lye only and no other ingredients, I would say it's safe to use. If there are other ingredients listed, I wouldn't use it.

8 6oz bars would be a pretty large batch IMO. If something goes wrong it could all end up in the trash.

Do you have a recipe you're following or have you tried to soap calculators? With the soap calculators, you put in the amount of oils you want to use (for example 500g), then do the percentages of each. The soap calculator will tell you what kind of soap you'll end up with ... how long lasting, bubbles etc.
Here's a link on some really helpful info: https://classicbells.com/soap/soapyStuff.asp including safety precautions with regard to use of lye etc. There is also info on what each of the calculators measurements mean.

So I played around with the soap calc. I made it to fit my mold. Witch is a half and half carton. 7 inches long 3x3. I think these ratios are ok. But I’m no expert.

Attachments

• D3DBD33D-3A75-4FD9-AA6E-33854B86D59D.png
    D3DBD33D-3A75-4FD9-AA6E-33854B86D59D.png
    281.9 KB · Views: 7
  • CDD39878-481E-4727-912F-57642DA1E18A.png
    CDD39878-481E-4727-912F-57642DA1E18A.png
    224.8 KB · Views: 6
Just for the curiosity which soap are you using from their site? I am sure most of us can guess which site you are talking about. If it is their Pine Tar soap you will not be able to dupe it without it unless you add in the Pine Tar.

As for using 100% Organic, I am from the camp that does not believe in paying the cost of organic supplies for soap, since the lye monster destroys most if not all of the properties of anything added during the soapmaking process. Don't yell at me anyone it is just the nature of the beast and I refuse to spend added money for label appeal. For leave-on products okay, not wash-off.

Hi and welcome. I also used the $8 soap you are referring to, though a bar lasted me over a month. I cut them into 4 smaller blocks and kept them away from water always. I also lathered with a wooden scrub brush.

The amount of pine tar in that brand has to be minuscule. I have nothing against the brand but the pine tar is just a gimmick IMO.

If you really like the pine tar there are many recipes online. It's on my list of things to try but not soon (cold process). I actually bought some lye at my local Ace Hardware a few days ago as I ran out. It wasn't sitting out, I had to ask for it. 1 pound for a little under $4. Just make sure it's 100% sodium hydroxide.

Good luck!

Re: buying lye at hardware stores, you need to check that it is 100% sodium hydroxide lye, with no additives or other ingredients. The Ace Hardware near me carries lye but I can't use it for soap because it's only something like 96% lye, with other additional ingredients which I assume helps with its intended use for clearing drains.

Lowe's, on the other hand, does carry 100% lye. The brand I've found is called Roebic. It costs about $13 for 2 pounds, which is a bit pricier than I can find online but does in a pinch if I'm running low on lye and don't want to wait/pay shipping, and don't need to buy other supplies that would get me free shipping.

If you get addicted to soaping like so many of us are, you'll learn to shop a variety of retailers, buy in bulk, and bundle purchasing all your supplies together (if I only need one oil I'll get some cheap stuff at the grocery store to tide me over until I'm due for a big online order, in which case I'll throw in some extra oils, fragrances, and lye to get me free shipping)

Just for the curiosity which soap are you using from their site? I am sure most of us can guess which site you are talking about. If it is their Pine Tar soap you will not be able to dupe it without it unless you add in the Pine Tar.

As for using 100% Organic, I am from the camp that does not believe in paying the cost of organic supplies for soap, since the lye monster destroys most if not all of the properties of anything added during the soapmaking process. Don't yell at me anyone it is just the nature of the beast and I refuse to spend added money for label appeal. For leave-on products okay, not wash-off.

It is indeed the pine tar. I am a big fan of it. I was going to use pine tar, however I here that it speeds the trace considerably. Especially if hot processed. And seeing as this is my first attempt I was going to just try to make more of a coffee soap with a pine oil for sent. The idea of pine and coffee is right up my alley

I have figured approx. 60$ to get this batch off and running.

First of all...welcome. I got into soap making because the gal I was buying soap from retired.

$60 is a LOT for ingredients. I spent that on a Kit, but I also got enough ingredients for two batches of soap, a tried and true recipe and a mold. You can probably source Olive Oil, Coconut Oil and Shea Butter locally...check your local Wal-Mart, just check the ingredient label to make sure they are 100%. I don't know where you would get Palm Oil locally...looks like OjaExpress sells it. You'll have to check around for the scents you want.

Using hot so I can cut down on curing time.

Even HP soap needs time to cure; about the same as CP soap (4 to 6 weeks). The longer you cure your soap, the harder the bar gets, and the harder the bar, the longer it lasts.

As someone who started off making 2lb batches of soap and ruining quite in a few in the beginning, I finally got smart and bought a couple of 1lb molds. That way if I screwed up, I was only out a little bit instead of a lot.

A simple recipe for you:

Olive Oil (41.0%) 6.56 oz
Coconut Oil (27.0%) 4.32
Palm Oil (27.0%) 4.32
Castor Oil (5.0%) 0.80

30% Lye Concentration (5.31 oz Distilled Water, 2.28 oz Sodium Hydroxide)
5% SuperFat

It will easily fill a 4" Silicone Mold (4 L x 3.5 w x 2.6 H) and give you four, 5.o oz bars of soap.

So I played around with the soap calc. I made it to fit my mold. Witch is a half and half carton. 7 inches long 3x3. I think these ratios are ok. But I’m no expert.
So, that it a little under 2lbs total for the soap (I think). You might need more then just the one half and half container. My mold is 12"x3" and holds a 2 lb batch.

Hi and welcome. I'm in the Chicago area too. If your close to Des Plaines, you can pick up your oils from soapers choice and skip shipping costs. They usually have your order ready the same day you place it. Costco seems to have the best price for olive oil.
Shannon

Hi and welcome. I'm in the Chicago area too. If your close to Des Plaines, you can pick up your oils from soapers choice and skip shipping costs. They usually have your order ready the same day you place it. Costco seems to have the best price for olive oil.
Shannon

actually I use to love about half a mile
From there! Never new it existed. I’ll check it out!! Do they have small batch quantities?

I think oils come in 7 pound bottles but they are still less expensive than other places I've checked.

It is indeed the pine tar. I am a big fan of it. I was going to use pine tar, however I here that it speeds the trace considerably. Especially if hot processed. And seeing as this is my first attempt I was going to just try to make more of a coffee soap with a pine oil for sent. The idea of pine and coffee is right up my alley
It makes no difference if it speeds trace with hp which is why many will hp pine tar soap. It speeds trace with cp soap and that is where it is pesky. Do some searches here for pine tar soap, to find a lot of helpful information for making it. Here is a very good article written by DeeAnna on making Pine Tar soap. I would have to do a lot of digging to find my old recipe
https://classicbells.com/soap/pineTarSoap.asp

Back