New to scrubs. Would love some advice.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetoe

Reaction score
New to scrubs but looking for recipes. Would like a recipe for sugar or salt scrub. I've seen whipped scrubs and they look okay, but really just need a something basic that I can build off of as well as any tips. Thanks in advance!

You first have to decide what kind of scrub you want, because that will determine what type of recipe you need.

1. Do you want it to foam and cleanse? You will need a foamy, cleansing ingredient like soap or syndets. If you don't need foam or cleansing, skip to the next questions.

2. Do you care whether it separates when left to sit? To prevent separation, you will need an emulsifier like e-wax (EDIT: M&P soap base also works, per @lsg’s recipe below). If you don't care about separation, you can simply mix your oils/fats and your scrubby ingredient, and plan to stir to remix it each time before using.

3. Will it be used on rough areas like feet and elbows, or more delicate facial skin? The answer to this question will determine what and how much scrubby ingredient to use, and how finely it must be ground. Facial scrubs are usually scented more lightly than foot scrubs, and will use less comedogenic oils or butters than what might be used on arms, legs, and feet.

My personal favorite scrub recipe is the foaming emulsified sugar scrub recipe that comes with the purchase of Foaming Bath Butter recipe from the DIY Bath & Body shop on Etsy. But there are lots of free recipes out there, too. The Humblebee & Me website has quite a few nice ones, although IIRC, none of them are emulsified as she finds those drying to her skin.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up making, and how you like it!

Last edited:
Here is an easy recipe that I like.
I use Epsom Salts instead of sugar.

M & P Base--12.1 oz
Sweet Almond Oil---1.9 oz
Turbinado Sugar--10.60 (I use Epsom Salts)
2 tsp FO
Coloring of your choice

Melt M&P base. Add sweet almond oil, color and fragrance. Mix well. Add Turbinado sugar or (Epsom salts), and mix thoroughly. Scoop into sterile containers and tap on table to take out air

Thanks for the advice everyone. I went with this recipe.
scrub'.PNG

It seemed extremely oily to use, I need to dial it in. I split the batch and shaved some M&P base into one half. Much better and made the paste thicken even more.

But on a brighter note, I made my first lotion today and that turned out great!

Back