New to making bath products

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frances

Reaction score
I became interested in making my own salt scrubs when I found that the scrub I like best is discontinued (the scent). So, I'm sure you all know the rest. I tried making my own, it smelled wonderful but one batch was too oily, and the oil did not rinse off....the second made the typical oil with salt on the bottom which just dripped all over the place. I would like to make a more solid scrub that does NOT contain soap, and does not seperate, as I have dry skin.

The ingredients in the scrub I like are:
Sodium Chloride
paraffinium liquidium
glyceryl stearate
silica silylate
olive fruit extract
benzophenone-3
propylparaben
bht

can anyone help me out formulating a recipe? Any help or other non seperating non soap recipes would be greatly appreciated! :p

Sodium Chloride - Common Table Salt

paraffinium liquidium - liquid paraffin (Im almost positive)
glyceryl stearate - Skin conditoning emulsifier
silica silylate - Not sure, I think its like Silica?
olive fruit extract -Heard of an "Olive Leaf Extract" which is from olives but not fruit...
benzophenone-3 - (so many of these 1-12) this is a fixative usually for heavy perfumes and also used for soup.
propylparaben -preservative
bht -Butylated Hydroxytoluene a preserve and antoxidant

Sounds interesting, what is the name of the product..

Hello Frances,
If you use the search function (and do a google search too) and look for 'emulsified scrub' I'm sure you find something useful, I think that kind of scrub would fulfill your needs!
Good luck!

Frances said:
I became interested in making my own salt scrubs when I found that the scrub I like best is discontinued (the scent). So, I'm sure you all know the rest. I tried making my own, it smelled wonderful but one batch was too oily, and the oil did not rinse off....the second made the typical oil with salt on the bottom which just dripped all over the place. I would like to make a more solid scrub that does NOT contain soap, and does not seperate, as I have dry skin.

The ingredients in the scrub I like are:
Sodium Chloride
paraffinium liquidium
glyceryl stearate
silica silylate
olive fruit extract
benzophenone-3
propylparaben
bht

can anyone help me out formulating a recipe? Any help or other non seperating non soap recipes would be greatly appreciated! :p

I've made sugar scrubs in the past w. organic sugar. I used olive oil and glycerin. It separated, but it was excellent.

I have found a very simple way to prevent scrubs from seperating. If you add 2oz (by weight) of powdered silica gel to 10oz of the oil of your choice, that oil will become a thick gel. The gelled oil can not rise to the top of your sugar. You can purchase silica gel from To Die For in Austin Texas. Hope this helps!

Thanks all for your replies and help! Tabitha, the product is Lemongrass olive oil soothing salt scrub by Asquith and Somerset. I love the smell of the lemongrass, and found it easy to duplicate the smell of the product with essential oils. The problem is, they don't have the scent on their site anymore, I got it at TJMax, which probably means that it is discontinued.

Back