New to M&P... question about Oils,jojoba, coconut,almond,newto soapmaking, M&P

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoriNj

Reaction score
Hi everyone!!! I'm new to the soap making world, but am loving it so far!!! I've been practicing melt and pour soapmaking, I've gone through 25 lbs from Bramble Berry and just ordered another 25lbs from Bulk Apothecary. ( All of my friends and family have been receiving alot of soap from me!) My question is which oil do you all prefer to use.....I've used organic coconut oil so far, but my husband suggested I order jojoba and almond oil as well! Do any have certain qualities that are better then the others?
P.s. I'm so glad I found this page, I was up half the night reading threads!!

Thank you!!
Lori from NJ

Okay, I'll take a stab at this...

1. M&P is not soap 'making', so much as soap 'assembling'. You're just taking a pre-made soap base and adding stuff -- colors, scents, additives.

2. Since you are doing M&P, I'm not sure why you are asking about preferred oils ... but here goes...

Oils are composed of fatty acids, right? There are 8 that are most commonly seen in soaping. These 8 acids will contribute different things to a bar of soap. Coconut oil mostly contributes drying/stripping and bubbles. Therefore, most people will not be happy with a coconut-heavy bar and especially not with a 100% coconut oil bar. Suggested maximum usage is 30% for coconut, but in practice I prefer a max of 10 - 20% because my skin is ... ahem ... old, and not as oily as it used to be.

A Soap Making Oil Chart, followed by Fatty Acid Profiles, and Fatty Acid Properties can be found here:
http://www.lovinsoap.com/oils-chart/

Right off you see Coconut, and the suggestion to 'superfat' a 100% CO bar at 20%. Two things about this approach: It doesn't work particularly well, and is a waste of money since those superfatting oils are going down the drain faster than the saponified ones. (P.S., if you are not familiar with these terms and concepts, you have a lot more reading to do.)

I suggest getting very familiar with the oils listed -- there are a lot of great tips and comments at that link -- and figure out first what you want the soap to be like, based on what soap is capable of being. (E.G., it is not capable of being lotion.) Then peruse the oils for which ones will deliver your preferred results. Hint: most oils have at least one substitution, castor being the exception off the top of my head, so once you know what you want you can choose based on price, availability, or any other qualitative/quantitative measure you desire.

Hope this helps. Happy soaping!

Last edited:
Hi everyone!!! I'm new to the soap making world, but am loving it so far!!! I've been practicing melt and pour soapmaking, I've gone through 25 lbs from Bramble Berry and just ordered another 25lbs from Bulk Apothecary. ( All of my friends and family have been receiving alot of soap from me!) My question is which oil do you all prefer to use.....I've used organic coconut oil so far, but my husband suggested I order jojoba and almond oil as well! Do any have certain qualities that are better then the others?
P.s. I'm so glad I found this page, I was up half the night reading threads!!

Thank you!!
Lori from NJ

You can add either of those to you MP. But don’t add more than a tsp-T per pound of base. It may make it too soft and affect the lather. Jojoba is more a wax than an oil.

You can add either of those to you MP. But don’t add more than a tsp-T per pound of base. It may make it too soft and affect the lather. Jojoba is more a wax than an oil.

Thanks, Shari -- It looks like i misinterpreted the question, and I also didn't know any new oils got added to M&P. Shouldn't have tried to answer without M&P experience, but I noticed the query had been sitting there a couple of days.

Thank you, I'll read the chart!
Thank you so much, I have been reading about M&P soap , so I thought it was ok to add oils to them, I just don't know anyone who is interested in this like I am so I had nobody to ask who has experience with soaps!!!

Thanks, Shari -- It looks like i misinterpreted the question, and I also didn't know any new oils got added to M&P. Shouldn't have tried to answer without M&P experience, but I noticed the query had been sitting there a couple of days.
Lol I'm just glad someone finally responded!

Last edited by a moderator:
It is best if you ask the manufacturer how much and what type of additives you can add to the particular base you are using. If shipping cost is not to much for you Essentials by Catalina have very nice m&p bases. I know my daughter always preferred the bases Catalina makes themselves.

Back