New to here,Show my soaps!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prettypoppy

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am a foreign student new to US and I am also a soap maker. :D
I am glad to find this forum, here are so many thing I can learn.
And I found the soap making styles in US are a little different from my home country. :shock:
I insist in using all natural colorant and all natural fragrance, I never use artificial pigment or artificial fragrance oil. Because they can cause allergy to me....... :roll: :roll:
Well, I am excited to find so many excellent soap makers here, I also want to share some experience and recipe with others.
Hope you like my soaps. :p
And I made too many soaps, I cannot consume them all......... So if you are interested in trying me recipe, please contact me or visit my ebay link.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321003136005?va ... 1559.l2649
If you have any questions or advice, please don't hesitate to contact me! [email protected]
Hope I can make some friends here!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I came to United States, my hairs loss became a little serious because of the weather and environment changes. So I tried to use my handmade shower soap to wash my hair, and it magically stopped my hairs loss a lot. Then I wrote a recipe special for shampoo soap, the result was really satisfactory~
Main material.
[attachment=2:1t5t3cy2]IMG_0417.JPG[/attachment:1t5t3cy2]
Ginger juice, dry ginger powder: stop hair loss.
Rosemary essential oil: promote hair growth.
Tea tree & lavender essential oil : promote scalp healthy.
Camellia oil : the best shampoo soap oil! Make hairs smooth and shiny!
Castor oil : Make hair soft~
Coconut oil : Cleaning.
[attachment=1:1t5t3cy2]IMG_4099.JPG[/attachment:1t5t3cy2]
[attachment=0:1t5t3cy2]IMG_4114.JPG[/attachment:1t5t3cy2]

To be continued.

Attachments

• IMG_0417.JPG
    IMG_0417.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_4099.JPG
    IMG_4099.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_4114.JPG
    IMG_4114.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 371
do you buy your ginger juice or squeeze it from fresh ginger? Great idea! I tried a shampoo bar but it was too drying for my hair. It was olive oil based but did NOTHING for me! I love consuming ginger so the transition to the head won't be too hard!...very tempting pretty poppy :)

brandnew said:
do you buy your ginger juice or squeeze it from fresh ginger? Great idea! I tried a shampoo bar but it was too drying for my hair. It was olive oil based but did NOTHING for me! I love consuming ginger so the transition to the head won't be too hard!...very tempting pretty poppy :)

I cut the ginger into small pieces and add a little water, and use the blender to make the ginger juice. Then I filter it, because the mashed ginger cannot contact with the skin.
If you feel too dry, you can use fresh lemon juice (squeezed! not beverage ) or 10% citric acid solution as hair conditioner. It helps a lot, let your hair really silky!! May be you can add some shea butter or sweet almond oil to instead of some part of coconut oil?

Super moisturizing pumpkin soap
[attachment=2:32i8mfcz]IMG_0412.JPG[/attachment:32i8mfcz]
Main material.
Autumn and Winter in America can be really dry to me, and I am going to make a super moisturizing soap!
The University held a pumpkin carving activity for us international student.
I won the first prize and everyone can take some pumpkin home after activity.
Then I came up an idea to add pumpkin juice and mashed pumpkin into my soap to make it even more moisturizing!!
I used pumpkin juice instead of water to dissolve the NaOH.
After light trace, I add 5% mashed pumpkin and honey into the soap.
I only use 10% coconut oil, and I rise the fraction of sweet almond oil to 30%, olive oil 20%, shea butter 15%.
[attachment=1:32i8mfcz]IMG_4100.JPG[/attachment:32i8mfcz]
The color is really warm and lovely!
[attachment=0:32i8mfcz]IMG_4102.JPG[/attachment:32i8mfcz]
Flower~~~~~

Attachments

• IMG_0412.JPG
    IMG_0412.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_4100.JPG
    IMG_4100.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_4102.JPG
    IMG_4102.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 304
brilliant ideas...thanks I have lots of frozen pumpkin puree in the freezer for pies I think I may just have to borrow a generous 5% of it now! :D

[/quote]
If you feel too dry, you can use fresh lemon juice (squeezed! not beverage ) or 10% citric acid solution as hair conditioner. It helps a lot, let your hair really silky!! May be you can add some shea butter or sweet almond oil to instead of some part of coconut oil?y :)

I never considered lemon much of a conditioner but more of an astringent. Been thinking about buying some citric acid for bath bombs anyway!!

Your soaps are very pretty prettypoppy! Welcome to the forum & thank you for sharing your recipes. You mentioned that soap making here in the US was a little different. Where are you from, what do you do differently in your home country & how long have you been making soap?

SoapAddict415 said:
Your soaps are very pretty prettypoppy! Welcome to the forum & thank you for sharing your recipes. You mentioned that soap making here in the US was a little different. Where are you from, what do you do differently in your home country & how long have you been making soap?

Thank you for your compliment~ :D
I am from mainland China. I have not been making soap for a long time, only a year.
I think the Asian skin might be a little more thin and sensitive, so I would like to use less fraction of coconut oil, usually 10-15% for shower and facial soap.
American handmade soaps are always so colorful and smell really strong fragrance, but I tend to use natural colorant like clay, herbs soup. I bought some fragrance oil here, they are really good. But I seldom use it, only use them in housework soap that won't contact my body skin, because I am afraid it may cause allergy. I add Essential oils to let the soap smells better, but the scent goes off quickly :cry: ...................
And the Chinese traditional medicine also gives us a lot of ideas of soap making, we would like to add different herb at different seasons to treat skin issues.
I will post the specific procedure next time I make Rice Soap! That is really popular in Asia~ Especially Korea, because Asian people like eating rice and we believe rice contains a lot of vitamin and can lighten, soften skin~!

brandnew said:
brilliant ideas...thanks I have lots of frozen pumpkin puree in the freezer for pies I think I may just have to borrow a generous 5% of it now! :D
If you feel too dry, you can use fresh lemon juice (squeezed! not beverage ) or 10% citric acid solution as hair conditioner. It helps a lot, let your hair really silky!! May be you can add some shea butter or sweet almond oil to instead of some part of coconut oil?y :)

I never considered lemon much of a conditioner but more of an astringent. Been thinking about buying some citric acid for bath bombs anyway!![/quote]

well, if you add pumpkin puree, you should cut down some of the amount of water. Otherwise, your soap will be too soft because the high moisture content.
And the principle of natural hair conditioner is use the acid to neutralize the alkali rest on your hairs after washing. Lemon juice is a good choice, but it is a little difficult to prepare, if you use 10% citric acid, you can add 10 drops of rosemary essential oils to help hair grow.
Somebody recommend add 1% jojoba oil to citric acid solution to make hairs smooth and silky. I tried once, it doesn't work! It made my hair sticky and oily, looks really dirty! So I just use 10% citric acid solution mixed with rosemary essential oil.

By the way, how do you make pumpkin puree? I only have blender..........

In my culture, if you share a washing machine with other people, it should be polite to wash your underwear by hand other than put it in the laundry basket. Especially for girls.
And it is hard to find laundry soap in the super market, so I made this housework soap.
[attachment=1:fqqy4ht3]IMG_4108.JPG[/attachment:fqqy4ht3]
Main material:
40% coconut oil, 30% palm oil, 10% vegetable shortening, 10% canola, 10% soybean.
I only use vegetable shortening in house work soap and shampoo soap, because if used in shower soap or facial cleaning soap, it will cause acne!!!
Someone prefers 70% coconut oil, but I find 40% is powerful enough~!
Canola and soybean oils help to make the soap not so dry to protect hand skin.

[attachment=0:fqqy4ht3]IMG_4101.JPG[/attachment:fqqy4ht3]
I made a lot!
If you want some housework soap~ Here is the link~
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321003136005?va ... 1555.l2649

By the way, how do you promote your soap selling? I have this wonderful soaps but I don't know where my consumer is~~

Attachments

• IMG_4108.JPG
    IMG_4108.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4101.JPG
    IMG_4101.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 68
You start there at the University! Other Chinese students to start because they know the wonder of home made soap. Other girls will follow. Girls love soap that doesn't dry out their skin. You should have a good following there. Give out some small samples, that's what I do. Word will get around quickly.

Cut the pumpkin in half , scoop out the seeds and roast in the oven ,cut-side down, for about 45 minutes or til tender...depending on the size of your pumpkin...then scoop out the flesh and puree it. Some people boil it but I find, at least for pies, there's more flavour. Do the Chinese eat the pumpkin seeds also? You can soak them in salted water and roast them slowly so they don't burn. Kids love 'em! Sorry a bit of a deviation of subject...

I wanted to ask you also if the soaps have to be used within a certain amount of time with the pumpkin content..i.e. within 6 months?

It's great having you on the site prettypoppy! And PLEASE don't forget us when you do the rice soap!! It sounds interesting!!! Your adventurousness is so encouraging :D

Hello!

Because of friends who are very sensitive to fragrance oils and the like, I too only use essential oils and herbal colorants. Just be mindful that people can be allergic to some essential oils, too. Some common ones are clove and cinnamon. A good way to keep the lye from eating your essential oil (and use less E.O. to save money) is to try Hot Process, where you cook the soap with low heat until it is finished soap, then you cool it some and add the E.O.. You will also find you can use more types of herbs for coloring without them changing to brown. However, you will want Sodium Lactate to keep the soap from getting too crumbly in the pot, but even so, it will be a different texture in your molds--and will not look right in your detailed molds like the rose.

soap_rat said:
Hello!

Because of friends who are very sensitive to fragrance oils and the like, I too only use essential oils and herbal colorants. Just be mindful that people can be allergic to some essential oils, too. Some common ones are clove and cinnamon. A good way to keep the lye from eating your essential oil (and use less E.O. to save money) is to try Hot Process, where you cook the soap with low heat until it is finished soap, then you cool it some and add the E.O.. You will also find you can use more types of herbs for coloring without them changing to brown. However, you will want Sodium Lactate to keep the soap from getting too crumbly in the pot, but even so, it will be a different texture in your molds--and will not look right in your detailed molds like the rose.

Thank you for your advice~
Another way to protect essential oil is ground soap! This kind of soap is really difficult to make.
First you need to peel or cut mature soap into small pieces and spray some water or hydrosol layer by layer, rest them in a bowl overnight.
Then mix them, ground them, to make them uniform. Knead them into clumps. Let them dry up again.
After drying, ground again!!!!!
This time you can add some powder, honey, milk. This is not over!
You should grind again!! Add essential oils.
I am too lazy and tired to triple grind them........ I just grind them twice, it is tiring enough...........
But the soap become really mild, the essential oils and plant powder are well protected in the soap!
Here is the picture~
[attachment=0:36bazhko]soap.jpg[/attachment:36bazhko]

Attachments

• soap.jpg
    soap.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 65
Back