New to here/new to soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Booker

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm so glad to have found this forum. I'm am very new to soap. I've only done melt and pour--which I had a total blast with! I made a cute little ocean scene type bar. I am very much interested in moving on to CP someday. It's not feasible now because I don't really have a "safe to soap" room. I have read (and re-read) two soap making books, and wish to continue lurking and reading more here. I'm a very thorough researcher and don't just jump into things before I'm ready. Thank you for allowing me to read the many threads here and being able to partake and ask questions!

Welcome welcome! I did melt and pour for forever but then got addicted to cold process soap. You can still turn back. :) I don't know how your home is set up but for a couple years I made do with the world's tiniest galley kitchen and storing all my supplies in the basement. Keep us posted.

Hello :) I soap in my very tiny kitchen. I mix my lye water in a container right in the sink, with a small fan blowing across left to right so the fumes don't even get to me, and do all of my mixing and pouring on a large piece of butcher paper (with the waxed side facing up) on the counter next to the sink. I do not use much space at all, and have never had a problem with safety.

I am not sure what your situation is, but with some planning and preparation, I am sure you can CP at home, too! Good luck and welcome!

I am very much interested in moving on to CP someday. It's not feasible now because I don't really have a "safe to soap" room. I have read (and re-read) two soap making books, and wish to continue lurking and reading more here. I'm a very thorough researcher and don't just jump into things before I'm ready.

Welcome!

I soap in my kitchen and cure in my garage. And I have cats, and a husband. Once the cats figure out that they aren't getting food, they go away. Same with husband. Just get a tub to keep all your supplies in and store in the closet or garage.

Welcome! :)

I too soaped in a little galley kitchen until somewhat recently. I had just a 2ft area to the right of my sink and it worked fine with good prep and organization. I liked having a cheapo bath towel down to catch any spills/messes. Sometimes I miss soaping in the kitchen with the sink right there!

I soap in my kitchen. I don't have a small kitchen, but its not exactly huge either. The cat sits up on the pass-through and watches. If I have to walk away (usually to pee), then I just stick the container in the microwave till I get back. i am not worried about her getting into it, I just don't want her to be clumsy or overly acrobatic, and try to jump over it and knock it over.

And welcome! I have made a lot of friends here and have learned so much.

I soap in my kitchen. I don't have a small kitchen, but its not exactly huge either. The cat sits up on the pass-through and watches. If I have to walk away (usually to pee), then I just stick the container in the microwave till I get back. i am not worried about her getting into it, I just don't want her to be clumsy or overly acrobatic, and try to jump over it and knock it over.

And welcome! I have made a lot of friends here and have learned so much.
If you had seen my kitchen from a previous apartment, you'd be scratching your head as to how I managed with a closet kitchen to begin with.
🤣

Welcome! I soap in very tiny kitchen too! I solved the issue of space for curing/drying my soaps by purchasing stackable cookie racks, lining racks with needlepoint plastic, and plugging in a very small fan (w/extension cord)to move the air. Bottom racks have my Castile and Aleppo soaps on them (they take a year to dry) top racks have hand soaps for easy access.
CP soaps are great fun. Good luck 🍀

Everyone is so nice! The problem I have has not to do with size or space but rather...ahem...people! LOL! If I lived in a household that would respect the fact that CP soap making can be dangerous if not taken seriously, I would go for it. But for now, I'm going to hold off and use a little shed on my property for this exact purpose. That way it is completely closed off to animals and people--there should be zero interruptions, distractions or unauthorized pawing through things.

@Eclypse what is Aleppo soap?

Aleppo Soap is made with olive oil and laurel berry oil and lye. It's an ancient soap recipe from the Turkish regions. I have super sensitive skin and Aleppo soap helps so much. Olive oil based soaps are not for everyone because:
Low suds/bubbles
Feels 'slimey'
Melts quickly
Takes 8-12 months to cure
Others LOVE it because:
It's very mild, moisturizing, rinses off skin easily.
They use washcloths, body brushes, poofs, etc... so that it feels silky when on skin.
They use soap dishes/savers and keep it dry.
Patience has it's own rewards.

@Eclypse - Are there any synthetic soap colorants that you find acceptable for your sensitive skin? You know I'm going to try micas, but I'm assuming I'll have a reaction and that hubby will be using those bars. LOL

I'm not sure. I really haven't experimented much with colours. I'm pretty basic regarding my soaps. I use molds for interest factor. Tiny paw prints and car shapes, and hearts for little kids. Medium for teens and adults. And then I have a few fairly large for big guys. All are silicone except for my 'Faith" soaps which are plastic for chocolate making. The soap I donate/give away is plain basic tallow/coconut based for all the OCD hand washing the World seems to be practicing now. My body soaps are castile or aleppo, shaped like brownies 🙂 As for colours, I am astonished, amazed, and left speechless by some of the most beautiful works of art I've had the pleasure to see, by other members of this forum. Even if my skin could handle colours, I'd cringe at the thought of such beautiful artwork fading away down a drain.🖼️

Aleppo Soap is made with olive oil and laurel berry oil and lye. It's an ancient soap recipe from the Turkish regions. I have super sensitive skin and Aleppo soap helps so much. Olive oil based soaps are not for everyone because:
Low suds/bubbles
Feels 'slimey'
Melts quickly
Takes 8-12 months to cure
Others LOVE it because:
It's very mild, moisturizing, rinses off skin easily.
They use washcloths, body brushes, poofs, etc... so that it feels silky when on skin.
They use soap dishes/savers and keep it dry.
Patience has it's own rewards.
How interesting! I love that it's an ancient recipe! I've never even heard of laurel berry oil! I'm sorry about your sensitive skin. As a Lyme sufferer, sometimes my body decides to not like something that I've been previously fine with. Very frustrating and limiting. So I can commiserate! Do you have any photos of your Aleppo soap?

Welcome to the forum! I hope you're able to find an effective way to make the soap of your dreams, a beach scene soap sounds adorable! I'd love to see some pictures if you have any!
I don't know why but I love ocean/beach soaps. I don't live near the ocean or the beach so I'm not sure where this comes from but anyway, here is the second M&P soap I've ever done. Things I would do differently: Slant the mold for a more "wave" like design, pour when the soap can mix together (I achieved some swirling, but not all layers have it), remove the ground walnut shells. While it can look cool and give it an authentic sandy look, I don't really like the exfoliating feeling on my hands.
IMG_0544.JPG

Have you ever heard "wearing your laurels"? Or other references such as: "nobel laureate". The Greeks crowned Olympic champions with a wreath of Laurel leaves.
History is rife with references to the Laurel tree. It's considered antiseptic, a symbol of strength and achievement and is also NOT an edible fruit or plant. The Roman army required soldiers to keep and use this "green" soap with them. These soldiers spread the use of soap across the World. Yeay!
Bay leaves come from the Laurel tree.
If you ever decide to use Laurel Berry oil it is completely different from an essential oil. It's expensive (aprox $30.oo 16oz) and it's WONDERFUL as a cleaner, deodorant, and bug deterrent, and has a 'masculine' woodsy/earth like scent.

Have you ever heard "wearing your laurels"? Or other references such as: "nobel laureate". The Greeks crowned Olympic champions with a wreath of Laurel leaves.
History is rife with references to the Laurel tree. It's considered antiseptic, a symbol of strength and achievement and is also NOT an edible fruit or plant. The Roman army required soldiers to keep and use this "green" soap with them. These soldiers spread the use of soap across the World. Yeay!
Bay leaves come from the Laurel tree.
If you ever decide to use Laurel Berry oil it is completely different from an essential oil. It's expensive (aprox $30.oo 16oz) and it's WONDERFUL as a cleaner, deodorant, and bug deterrent, and has a 'masculine' woodsy/earth like scent.
I've have heard of "resting on your laurels"! I love history! Had no idea bay leaves come from laurel trees. Now is it like an essential oil, like treated like one or is it used to make the soap (like olive or coconut oil)? When I first start with CP I will be very basic. Like, super basic--like I don't even know if I'll do color and scent! No getting ahead of myself--I will certainly leave the special stuff for the pros! Thanks for your input!

How interesting! I love that it's an ancient recipe! I've never even heard of laurel berry oil! I'm sorry about your sensitive skin. As a Lyme sufferer, sometimes my body decides to not like something that I've been previously fine with. Very frustrating and limiting. So I can commiserate! Do you have any photos of your Aleppo soap?
Photos? Not currently. I used up all my Aleppo soaps and I'm waiting on an order of Laurel Berry oil to come in. You can order on line a really nice one to try first and see if you like it. First pic is of my castile soap (I keep it upside-down on soap holders, because the sprial helps to drain water off quickly). Second is 'aleppo' bought.
If you type Aleppo into SMF search engine there's 2 great videos somewhere on this site. One has no sound.🍀

I have no idea how to post pics. So sorry! It's a miracle I somehow posted before.
No it is NOT an essential oil (EO). It's made very similar as how olive oil is made. Please do not ever eat/consume. Keep away from pets, kids, nosey adults. It smells so most people won't try to cook or eat it.

Ad
I have no idea how to post pics. So sorry! It's a miracle I somehow posted before.
No it is NOT an essential oil (EO). It's made very similar as how olive oil is made. Please do not ever eat/consume. Keep away from pets, kids, nosey adults. It smells so most people won't try to cook or eat it.
Add it at trace for CP soap.

IMG_20210105_121206370.jpg
IMG_20210105_121217575.jpg
IMG_20210105_121414104.jpg
IMG_20210105_121206370.jpgIMG_20210105_121217575.jpgIMG_20210105_121414104.jpg

Ok I'm done trying to figure out pic posts. So sorry everyone. I'll try to do better next time 😉

I don't know why but I love ocean/beach soaps. I don't live near the ocean or the beach so I'm not sure where this comes from but anyway, here is the second M&P soap I've ever done. Things I would do differently: Slant the mold for a more "wave" like design, pour when the soap can mix together (I achieved some swirling, but not all layers have it), remove the ground walnut shells. While it can look cool and give it an authentic sandy look, I don't really like the exfoliating feeling on my hands.
View attachment 52998
Maybe Great Lakes you're thinking of?

Some finely ground oatmeal might also give you that sandy look. I usually add finely ground oatmeal to my CP soaps and I don't detect any scratchiness. I'd think it would do the same in M&P.

Latest posts

Back