New to Goats Milk soaping...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwahlne

Reaction score
I tried my first goat soap this weekend and I THINK it turned out ok... other than it cracking at the top.

I unmolded 24 hours after pour and the the inside was still warm! I'm assuming the crack was from excessive heat, yes? Does goat's milk soaping tend to generate more heat than just using water? Should I not cover or wrap the mold next time to prevent the cracking?

Hummmm.... I don't really know the answer to your question. I 've only made one batch of goat's milk soap, myself.

Mine did not do that, but it does feel differently to the touch than the lard, lye and water bars.

I put mine into inexpensive plastic gladware type containers with lids and cover them up with towels. I removed them after 2 days. They were a little slick to the touch and took longer to cure than the plain bars.

kwahlne said:
I tried my first goat soap this weekend and I THINK it turned out ok... other than it cracking at the top.

I unmolded 24 hours after pour and the the inside was still warm! I'm assuming the crack was from excessive heat, yes? Does goat's milk soaping tend to generate more heat than just using water? Should I not cover or wrap the mold next time to prevent the cracking?

Yes, the lactose, or milk sugars in GM add a lot of heat during saponification. I put my wood lid on my TOG log molds for about 1 hour, and when in full gel, turn on a fan, remove the top and cool as fast as possible. Log molds develop more heat than a shallow pour in a slab mold. The cracking was what we referr to as a "volcano" in the soap world. The excessive heat causes the saponifying hot center to move kinda like lave and a crack or cracks can occur. As long as the soap has geled, if you want it to, remove the top and cool. That is the best advice I can give. :wink:

Back