New to Forum...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hello! My name is Marrianne Williams and I am a soapaholic. :p

Unlike in AA - I look forward to sharing and FEEDING my addiction with all of you. I have been lurking for awhile and have learned a lot from you folks already. I hope I can give as much in return.

And I must add that this is one of the most helpful and courteous and ACTIVE boards around. You guys are great!

Marr

Well HI and Greetings! We are glad you came out and want to play with our fun group! We are all soap addicts! We are also very proud of our home we have built! All the members here want encouragement, love to give encouragement and are peaceable folks! We just love this forum! As a part of the moderator group, I appreciate how you noticed the politeness of this soap forum, we work hard to keep it the nicest place on the soap forum net!

Enjoy and we look forward to chatting a lot with you!

Paul.... :wink:

I am a CP Soaper. DWRT for the most part and I use Goat or Coconut milk in most of my recipes.

Happy New Year!

Marr

DWRT means Discount Water Room Temperature. :D Marr, we are almost twin soap makers then. All I do is GM-RTCP with master-batched recipes and RT premixed 50% lye solution. I do use soured GM though. Been doing that about 3 months now, love it! 8)

Paul... :wink:

I haven't tried soured GM before - what changes in the soap with the sour milk?

I have been doing a 50% lye solution as well. I was told by another soapmaker however that 50% GM is not enough liquid to dissolve the lye into because GM has too much fat in it? I have made many batches this way with no problems but am now concerned. My soaps are fine though. I use them everyday as does my family. I use fresh GM from the store and it's pastuerized - so maybe it has less fat in it. I don't know - but if I switched brands or the formulation of my current brand changes - I worry the outcome would be different.

What are your thoughts on this?

Marr

Marr said:
I haven't tried soured GM before - what changes in the soap with the sour milk?

I have been doing a 50% lye solution as well. I was told by another soapmaker however that 50% GM is not enough liquid to dissolve the lye into because GM has too much fat in it? I have made many batches this way with no problems but am now concerned. My soaps are fine though. I use them everyday as does my family. I use fresh GM from the store and it's pastuerized - so maybe it has less fat in it. I don't know - but if I switched brands or the formulation of my current brand changes - I worry the outcome would be different.

What are your thoughts on this?

Marr

Marr, I use the soured GM because soured milk produces a natural sodium lactate which makes the soap harder. I have GM that is over 45 days old and stays outside the refrigerator in a sealed glass gallon milk jug. It never, ever, smells really sour and never curdles. I do use fresh GM from a farmer though.
As far as the 50% solution goes. Yes, 50% the water and lye will thoroughly mix together, any stronger though, it won't. I don't soap with it at 50%, I add the GM to reduce the strength down to between 28 to 32% solution depending on the FO's I musing or the recipe I'm using. It just depends. I add powdered GM to my soured GM to make it 100% GM so I can morally say I use 100% goat milk in my soaps! Big argument there I had on another forum! :roll: I use aloe vera juice to make my 50% lye solution and add silk to that. That is my take on everything. Been doing this for a few years this way. Works well for me!

Paul... :wink:

ETA: I love your Mr. Bean avatar! That guy is nuts! :lol:

Thanks for the info Paul and everyone else for the warm welcome. I love Mr Bean. :)

Paul - I wish I had access to milk from a farmer! That's great stuff.

Marr

Welcome! Im not at 50% Not more than 40% for me. I have some tricky FO's to deal with...

Nice to meet you.. and Mr. Bean is a funny man!

Back