New to Forum :) Have a au natural B.B. question...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
C7B9C314-D1C2-41DF-AAC3-3989B1898A0D.jpeg
Hello beauties!
My name is Bianca, I’m new to this forum, and I am SO glad I came accross this while in search of help and suggestions. I believe this would be the best place to ask opinions from fellow artists! :)

I’ve been making bath bombs for a little over a year now (which translates into Uber amounts of trials and errors lol) and my current dilemma is conquering my “100% Natural Bath Bombs” which will have zero slsa, ps80 or fragrance oils.
I have a ton of different recipes, some with all of the above, and some with a combination of those.

Most of my clients enjoy the “deluxe foaming bath bombs” —you know, the vibrant spewing colourful fun ones with lakes and slsa. But recently I have had sooo many requests for those au natural ones. With that, I have found a few different formulas that are working wonderfully (again many trials and errors) colouring with clays and natural colourents like beet root powder (trying to stay as natural as possible). Anyhow, a few of those recipes require quite an abundance of butters and oils. My dilemma—I’m worried about the famous slippery tubs because of that.
Now because I want them to be 100% natural, I don’t want to use PS80.

I was doing some research and came across Natrasorb bath startch to do the same kind of job. However, I don’t know much about it at all, and was wondering if anyone has used it and or has any knowledge or advice on it. Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)
B xx

Hello and welcome to the forum :)
I haven't made bath bombs myself but I know of Sulfonated Castor Oil as a more 'natural' solubilizer, it's also called Turkey Red Oil. It's used in bath oils, room sprays, mist and so on. I don't know the product you mention. (And haven't made bath bombs ;))
Good luck and happy researching!

Hello and welcome to the forum :)
I haven't made bath bombs myself but I know of Sulfonated Castor Oil as a more 'natural' solubilizer, it's also called Turkey Red Oil. It's used in bath oils, room sprays, mist and so on. I don't know the product you mention. (And haven't made bath bombs ;))
Good luck and happy researching!
Thank you for the welcome! :) yes I believe I’ve read about the caster oil peg? Or something or other lol. I have never used that either. I could probably do some more research about that one as well. I’m still very curious about the Natrasorb.. looks like it’s gonna be a week full of tests lol

I think I heard that the TRO had an unpleasant scent to it ?

Funny, I wanted to just make the Natural BB's and I will leave some natural with out color (maybe some with clay or some kind of powder) and EO's. But it seems most people want COLOR and Cute scents. So now I have just spent over $200 on FO's
:eek:
SLSA is from palm/coconut

I think I heard that the TRO had an unpleasant scent to it ?

Funny, I wanted to just make the Natural BB's and I will leave some natural with out color (maybe some with clay or some kind of powder) and EO's. But it seems most people want COLOR and Cute scents. So now I have just spent over $200 on FO's
:eek:
SLSA is from palm/coconut

I’m not sure about scent? I’ve never tried it out... I hope to though. I love testing out new things.
I add slsa to quite a few of my recipes, but some customers are quite anal anout even that *cue eye rolls* I think it’s because of the palm oil to be honest. And I want to make my customers happy. As much as it can be a big pain in the you know what.. lol

I have a customer base that love the cute coloured fun ones, but it’s just as ties now with how many people want the natural ones. You can get great colours naturally, can get a bit pricey at times, but if you want to claim 100%, it has to be in fact 100% natural. Right?
My turmeric sweet orange is coloured wonderfully! And turmeric has such amazing benefits! I definitely recommend that one! :)

I think Turmeric has to be Ingested to be of benefit ?
I like the SLSA in the BB, the foamy is so cool and I only use a little bit !

:):)

Have you found a source for Natrasorb? I remember reading that no one carries it any more. Not sure tho. In any case, you can sub corn starch or potato starch (Bob's Red Mill).

Another "au natural" option I've been considering is a bath bomb base from Elements Bath & Body (Colorado). Sure would make it easier and less time-consuming and get your product back on the market sooner. Here's a link:

https://www.elementsbathandbody.com/Bath-Fizzy-Base.html

HTH (Hope This Helps!)
Wave.gif

I like the SLSA in the BB, the foamy is so cool and I only use a little bit !

:):)

On th contrary, my dear...Turmeric has so many benefits; with and without being ingested. I found this out as a young girl, actually. The secret healing power of turmeric. I even make a paste for pimples.. and I’ve had terrible boils in my life too. Best thing to ever help the healing process... turmeric lol. It’s been used on this skin for centuries.

Have you found a source for Natrasorb? I remember reading that no one carries it any more. Not sure tho. In any case, you can sub corn starch or potato starch (Bob's Red Mill).

Another "au natural" option I've been considering is a bath bomb base from Elements Bath & Body (Colorado). Sure would make it easier and less time-consuming and get your product back on the market sooner. Here's a link:

https://www.elementsbathandbody.com/Bath-Fizzy-Base.html

HTH (Hope This Helps!) View attachment 29155

Hey ya! Yes I’ve seen it on a few Canadian suppliers sites (im in Canada) and
Thanks doll! I’ll check that out too :)
Any new information helps and is appreciated

Thank you for the welcome! :) yes I believe I’ve read about the caster oil peg? Or something or other lol. I have never used that either. I could probably do some more research about that one as well. I’m still very curious about the Natrasorb.. looks like it’s gonna be a week full of tests lol

https://www.thesage.com/catalog/products/Natrasorb.html

I get Natrasorb at The Sage. Use it in my bath salts with EO's and a little in whipped lotions. Love it. You can read up on it at the above link. Hope it works.

As a gift from another soaper, I received a bar of soap made with turmeric & paprika infused oil (pretty peachy pink color) Wonderful. I used it all over in the shower and even washed my hair with it. My skin and hair really liked it, so I believe there is "something" beneficial in it.

Soaring: Thanks for the info on Natrasorb.I love MMS -- an excellent supplier to do business with.

UTCB: You're welcome, Dahlink! Good luck!

there is a few suppliers who carry it in Canada, US WSP has the cheapest and they call it , I think Fix slick or something like that
inci; tapioca

there is a few suppliers who carry it in Canada, US WSP has the cheapest and they call it , I think Fix slick or something like that
inci; tapioca starch
Home > Products > Slick Fix - Modified Tapioca Starch

Slick Fix - Modified Tapioca Starch

Last edited by a moderator:
inci; tapioca

Thank you! I really want to try it.. there’s just hundreds of recipes out there, and I like to experiment with as many as I can. Can never stop learning and inventing. :)
Home > Products > Slick Fix - Modified Tapioca Starch

Slick Fix - Modified Tapioca Starch

There is no scent with the Natrasorb. I have some of the Slick Fix also and reach for the Natrasorb instead. I feel it performs better.

Oh, there is a difference between the two? I’ve never heard of ‘slick fix’ until just now. I have the natrasorb loaded I my cart... lol I think I’m just gonna have to buy it and test away! :) thank again so much for the input. :)

As a gift from another soaper, I received a bar of soap made with turmeric & paprika infused oil (pretty peachy pink color) Wonderful. I used it all over in the shower and even washed my hair with it. My skin and hair really liked it, so I believe there is "something" beneficial in it.

Soaring: Thanks for the info on Natrasorb.I love MMS -- an excellent supplier to do business with.

UTCB: You're welcome, Dahlink! Good luck!

Ooooh That soap sounds lovely! I honestly just love turmeric. Lol I’ve gone on such a binge with it lately. I disguise it in so many meals now too ☺️

it will carry the scent but you mix it with scent, I add it to powder so my powders are fluffier, It dissolves in water and the water is hm. smooth, slipery, lightly slipery, it does condition the water. Tbsp of that weights less than 2 grams

Slick Fix is modified tapioca starch.
Natrasorb is modified corn starch.
Neither has much of a scent. I like Bob's Red Mill potato starch because I think it has a silkier feel and I also use it to boost lather in CP. But that's just me. :cool:
No Zany Natrasorb is Tapioca , modified tapioca starch, you are wrong. If in doubts check inci name
Potato starch is nice in powders but would not work very well in BB, with presence of water it become glutinous consistency
  • NATRASORB BATH starch is able to absorb and carry large quantities of oils and anhydrous liquids, such as bath oils, carrier oils and fragrance oils. The starch is processed in a manner that creates unique 'pockets' that can carry the oils essentially in a solid, powder form. NATRASORB BATH starch is hydrophilic so that once the starch comes in contact with water, it immediately dissolves, releasing loaded oils, fragrances and/or emulsifiers, dispersing them into the warm water. The starch itself provides a soft feel to the bath water, but does not settle or leave a film.
Technical Specs:
clear1x1.gif

• Natrasorb can generally take 10%-15% oil load by weight without showing any change but can be used at any percentage in your products.
  • EcoCertified natural by ECOCERT France SAS
  • INCI: Tapioca Starch
  • Note: This product is extremely light. 1 cup of Natrasorb Bath weighs only 28 grams / 1 oz

Back