New to candle making

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natasha Fitzsimmons

Reaction score
Hi I am from the UK,
I have been making candles for a few months and the problem that keeps coming up it the wicks are not Wright(they either drown them self's or the don't burn all the way round) and i don't get enough money to buy expensive ones,
And also after the wax has set either in a jar, glass or mold it caves in on its self slightly and i don't make that many to be able to top them up,
Any help would be appreciated
Many thanks natasha.

It depends on what wax you are using, the size of the wick in relation to the size of the container and also how much fragrance you are using.

If you can let us know these we can try and help.

Id echo what lilyjo has said but if you are using jars moulds and glasses. Generally if you are using a mould it will be pillar blend wax you will need to use and then for jars and glasses it will be container blend. But along with whats already been said the width of the containers and moulds would be helpful once you have posted the info needed to help @jcandleattic seems to be amongst the most knowledgeable on here regarding candles :)

Wicks dont have to be expensive and you can get rolls over them cut to size add tabs and wax yourself if you want to save a few quid. Iv only been making votives and have found an ideal wick which works for everything iv tried so far im dreading having to experiment with wicks for new and bigger candles it can be alot of trial and error

Thank you @Chris_S. I also agree with what @LilyJo said - a little more information would be helpful. Also to know what is available in your country or where you are buying your supplies would be helpful.

To avoid a top off, you can use a heat gun to level off your tops, however, that is assuming you are poking relief holes. Depending on the wax depends on how deep the dip will be and whether or not relief holes are needed. Most straight paraffin and pillar waxes will need relief holes. Also temperature at which you pour your candles will determine how far the dip goes. The hotter the pour, the deeper the dip usually.

Back