new to candle making

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amme20

Reaction score
Hi i have been after 9 hour burn floating candles in silver on the web and i can't find any so i am thinking of making my own, can anyone advise me on how to make them please. i need them for an event this saturday!!

If you have not made candles before, or are very new (which is the title of your thread) then I doubt you will have time to test etc., by this Saturday. Candlemaking is not an overnight adventure and it takes time and effort to produce a great product that burns the way it should without being a dangerous fire hazard.

With all that being said, I think part of the reason you are running into trouble finding anything is because a floating candle would have to be rather large to burn for 9 hours. Especially to be able to float and burn correctly. I honestly do not think it can be done in wax. You may have to resort to the battery operated tealights on a flotation device.

Candle making is different from soap and even lotion making; it's extremely finicky and exceptionally time consuming - especially if you're using soy wax. There is no one recipe that works for everybody or even 10 out of 100 people because every tiny detail affects the outcome. What works for one person, will probably not work for you or me. I swear - even the type of utensil I use to stir the wax makes a different in candle performance!

I'm still trying to make a safe and decent wood wick candle (without scent - so should be even easier to accomplish, right?) and was given step by step instructions from a professional chandler with over 25 years of experience. She told me my candles would never be like hers, to expect to spend time tweaking it until it worked - because that is just the nature of candles!

Now, a person can always get lucky. But since you need something this Saturday, I think you're going to need a different plan than making your own.

Back