new to candle making. help needed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeytologist

Reaction score
I've know that when using flexible molds not to use stearin, but to add vybar to the wax. But what kind of mold release can i spray onto my molds? I dont want to use vegetable oil as it rots the mold over time.

Also, when making a candle from a mold is it necessary to use a wick tab? I ask because my book explaining how to make candles does not mention them.

Thanks

r they metal, or pastic molds? I don't use mold release for either. I don't use wick tabs if it is a pillar. I just thread my wick through the bottom and tie it off in a knot and use plummers putty to fill in the left over hole. I then pull the wick straight and tie the open end around a pencil.
Plastic molds are trickier, but unless it is a very small candle, I usually forgo the wick tab.

Hiya Monkey
You can use candle mold release to any type of mold. Michael's craft stores usually carries it.
Some use Pam cooking spray as well.I prefer using the candle release.A small amount is all that's required.
Wick tabs are only used in votive's or container candles,not for the free standing pillars.
Hope this helps.

Munky :)

Latest posts

Back