New to Bath and Body - Shea Butter Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SudsyKat

Reaction score
Hi, all!

I'm a CP soap person, but I'd love to make some whipped Shea Butter. I've looked at several posts on this forum (like this one, for example - http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=891&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30) and honestly, my head is now spinning. I'm hoping maybe I can just post my questions specifically and kind of get focused.

1. I'm thinking whipped shea butter is an easy (relatively easy) project to start with - rather than a lotion or cream. Is that right or wrong?
2. Do you need a preservative or not - if so, what's a good one?
3. I see many different methods, most (but not all) of which involve melting the shea butter. I was under the impression that melting butters (temperature changes) were what cause them to become fractionated (grainy). I guess not?
4. After you're done, do you have to store the product in the refrigerator? I'm not so much concerned for myself, but if I wanted to send some to relatives far away, would it be okay unrefrigerated during shipping?
5. I read a lot about the importance of temperature when you're whipping - and the speed of the temperature change. What the bottom line scoop on this (since my brain is overflowing with info, I'd love a simple answer). Wouldn't we all! LOL :lol:
6. What are the best oils (long shelf life and "lite"). Obviously, Jojoba is great. Any others?
7. I watched this tutorial from Coastal Scents - http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebs...how-to-make-whipped-unrefined-shea-butter.cfm. She uses tons of ingredients - I'd like to only use a few. Also, I plan to use refined shea butter. Aside from those differences, is this a good tutorial? 45 minutes of whipping - really?
8. Last but not least, how does this sound for a basic recipe (forgive my ignorance if it's not good)-

80% Refined Shea Butter
20% Jojoba Oil (or 10% Jojoba, 10% Grapeseed)
A small amount of cornstarch (depending on the recipe)
Essential Oils (not sure how much - same as CP? Like .8oz PPO?)
Preservative (if necessary)

ONE MORE THING (this has got to be the longest question ever) - WSP has "Crafters Choice™ Shea Butter - High Melt, Ultra Refined" on sale. Is the high melt any good for this application?

Thanks in advance for your help!

SudsyKat said:
Hi, all!

I'm a CP soap person, but I'd love to make some whipped Shea Butter. I've looked at several posts on this forum (like this one, for example - http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=891&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30) and honestly, my head is now spinning. I'm hoping maybe I can just post my questions specifically and kind of get focused.

1. I'm thinking whipped shea butter is an easy (relatively easy) project to start with - rather than a lotion or cream. Is that right or wrong?it is very easy to me...
2. Do you need a preservative or not - if so, what's a good one?i dont add water so i dont use one

3. I see many different methods, most (but not all) of which involve melting the shea butter. I was under the impression that melting butters (temperature changes) were what cause them to become fractionated (grainy). I guess not?i dont melt my shea, i do however melt my other hard oils
4. After you're done, do you have to store the product in the refrigerator? I'm not so much concerned for myself, but if I wanted to send some to relatives far away, would it be okay unrefrigerated during shipping? i dont store mine in the fridge but i only make it in the winter because i did ship some to a friend once in the summer and it melted and seperated
5. I read a lot about the importance of temperature when you're whipping - and the speed of the temperature change. What the bottom line scoop on this (since my brain is overflowing with info, I'd love a simple answer). Wouldn't we all! LOL :lol:
6. What are the best oils (long shelf life and "lite"). Obviously, Jojoba is great. Any others? shea, cocoa butter, any other oil that doesnt go bad quickly7. I watched this tutorial from Coastal Scents - http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebs...how-to-make-whipped-unrefined-shea-butter.cfm. She uses tons of ingredients - I'd like to only use a few. Also, I plan to use refined shea butter. Aside from those differences, is this a good tutorial? 45 minutes of whipping - really?
8. Last but not least, how does this sound for a basic recipe (forgive my ignorance if it's not good)-

80% Refined Shea Butter
20% Jojoba Oil (or 10% Jojoba, 10% Grapeseed)
A small amount of cornstarch (depending on the recipe)
Essential Oils (not sure how much - same as CP? Like .8oz PPO?)
Preservative (if necessary)

ONE MORE THING (this has got to be the longest question ever) - WSP has "Crafters Choice™ Shea Butter - High Melt, Ultra Refined" on sale. Is the high melt any good for this application?

Thanks in advance for your help!

i cant answer the last few questions but i can tell you how i do mine.

i only use 3 ingredients: shea, cocoa butter and a liquid oil (i use different ones)

i put my cocoa butter and the liquid oil in a pot to melt and while that is going on i set up my bowls. one with ice water and one for my shea butter.
i whip with my mixer the shea and then once my hard oils are melted, i drizzle a bit at a time the hot liquid into my bowl that is sitting in the ice water bowl. i whip that in and then add more until i have used up all my melted oils and my stuff is whipped and creamy, then i jar or put into a plastic tub. HTH :)

I am pretty new to bath and body stuff. I have been reading swiftcraftymonkey's site--she has lots and lots of useful information.

I would say that whipped butter is easier than a lotion.

From what I read, If water can be introduced to your product through people dipping their hands into the container, it is good to use a preservative.

I didn't melt my shea when I made this-just softened it enough to whip.

Fractionated Coconut oil has a long shelf life and is lite. Grapeseed is nice, but a shorter shelf life. Not so short that it is not usable. I use grapeseed and my lotions are good for the time that it takes me to use them--about 3 months. I don't know what would happen after that, so I can't say one way or the other.

I don't use nearly as much EO in a stay on product. I use about 1%. I can't do math using ounces :(

Back