New Sub-Section for The Soap Making & Craft Forum

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
I don't know if I stepped on someone's collective toes... I prefer to keep my requests public so that ALL MEMBERS may have input
Be grateful they contacted you privately. IME, it's better than having your thread or post deleted without explanation. 😁 I agree -- ALL MEMBERS are free to comment (as far as I know) and some @Admin/Mods do so on occasion, but that's rare. Hopefully, one of them will feel motivated to contribute their thoughts here.

lsg

Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the previous posts would have to be found and moved manually to start a New Sub Forum. You are welcome to ask the opinion of others, but that doesn't mean you will get your wish. Admins moderate the forum without reimbursement so we do appreciate being approached in advance.:nodding:

Reaction score
I agree with Zany that a forum for colorants would be extremely helpful as it cuts across many categories.

The shave soap forum question is neither here nor there for me. If it helps others and moves the forum forward, then yay. My only caution is that we be aware that the parent forum should be protected from unnecessary dilution.

Reaction score
For ease of reference a shave soap forum I think it is good and say Yay.

Though I must say that by it being discussed on the main forum, it is an educational experience for someone like me, who otherwise would not seek out this knowledge at this stage, because as an inexperienced soaper I am primarily interested in cp soap.

Reaction score
All the previous posts would have to be found and moved manually to start a New Sub Forum. You are welcome to ask the opinion of others, but that doesn't mean you will get your wish. Admins moderate the forum without reimbursement so we do appreciate being approached in advance.:nodding:
I understand what you're stating.

I used to be an admin for TWO Windows 7 forums back when Windows 7 first started up and I continued in that roll for approximately 6 years. I wasn't compensated either, most admins are not compensated. They do it for the pleasure of helping others on the forums and to see that a modicum of civility is maintained on the forum.

I would be willing to assist locating all the previous threads regarding shaving soaps, if that will make a difference in a decision. I am retired and lots of time on my hands to spare.... mostly. 👽 🤠 ;) :thumbup:

Last edited:

Marsi

Reaction score
I would be willing to assist locating all the previous threads regarding shaving soaps,
I'm sure that members who voted Yay would also be happy to contribute to this by finding threads on shaving

a list of found shave threads topic could be created
for people to post shave thread links
found in other (CP/LS etc.) areas of soapmakingforum

this would be useful
whether the subforum is created or not

You, and your fellow moderators, are truly appreciated
for all the work you put into supporting this vibrant community
thank you

Johnez

What if I....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure that members who voted Yay would also be happy to contribute to this by finding threads on shaving

this would be useful

You, and your fellow moderators, are truly appreciated
for all the work you put into supporting this vibrant community
thank you
I would most definitely help in this gathering.

Reaction score
I guess the issue with mods being upset with your post is that you started the post without talking to one of them first. There are a handful of members that are voting yay or whatever now taking up two pages on the forum, so it seems like it might be a great idea. But out of 25k members, you have way less than 1% of 1% of members agreeing to it. Most members replying, including yourself, are noobs to the forum. And when an admin PM’d you, you brought that out front for the forum members to disagree.

This is a pretty successful forum. If I were to think I had a great idea to change an already great forum, I dont think that i would be disrespectful and put it out there that i didnt like their private response after i took a public vote on changing things, as well-intended as it might have been with your original idea. I would have said “sorry, i didnt mean to offend you.”

Calling out admin publically because they disagreed with your idea is wrong.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
But out of 25k members, you have way less than 1% of 1% of members agreeing to it.
Um, Point of Clarification, 25k members? I don't think so. On most days, there are, on average, 35 members online and 500 "guests". I check this every once in a while ever since I first joined in 2017. Today's numbers are 682 (members: 29, guests: 653).

I happened to be searching through the membership today... looking for members I knew to be Shave Soapers a few years back. They were gone. BUT. The list of members takes up 1,277 pages, 20 names per page. For whatever reason, More often than not, this is a typical Member Profile:

Zobird
Joined - Jan 11, 2020
Last seen - Jan 11, 2020
Messages - 0

I ran into that a lot! No biggie. Just happened to run across it today and felt like it might be worth sharing. 😁

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um, Point of Clarification, 25k members?
The list of members takes up 1,277 pages, 20 names per page.
20 names per page x 1277 pages = 25,540 members

I'm not suggesting that all members are active, but to @Catscankim's point the number of shave soap makers is a small percentage of membership. I think expecting that admins search for and move all shave soap threads to create another sub-forum is a big ask.

Reaction score
Um, Point of Clarification, 25k members? I don't think so. On most days, there are, on average, 35 members online and 500 "guests". I check this every once in a while ever since I first joined in 2017. Today's numbers are 682 (members: 29, guests: 653).

I happened to be searching through the membership today... looking for members I knew to be Shave Soapers a few years back. They were gone. BUT. The list of members takes up 1,277 pages, 20 names per page. For whatever reason, More often than not, this is a typical Member Profile:

Zobird
Joined - Jan 11, 2020
Last seen - Jan 11, 2020
Messages - 0

I ran into that a lot! No biggie. Just happened to run across it today and felt like it might be worth sharing. 😁
I'm not saying all are active, and some might be active just once in a while, when just looking for something, then go inactive for a bit. But this site is very global.

But, the stats at the bottom of the page say 25,537 members to be exact. I definitely know that we do not have that many ACTIVE members, actively on the forum lol. I don't think my brain could handle that LOL.

But in my experience, this is a pretty robust forum. The only people that the OP appealed to was the very few (new-ish) members. Seeing a lot of stats from members, at 1600ish posts from me, I still feel like a noob, even though I am a pretty active member. I would never dream of challenging an admin publicly. Even at 6000 posts over 6 years, I still wouldn't.

And also as a former admin from a few (OLD old old unrelated forums), I can relate to SMF admin/mods to their reaction, actually non-reaction publicly, as far as keeping the rest of the members out of it and sending a personal message. And the only thing that the poster should have been offended by was a blown up f this f that angry message, which we all know did not happen.

My original point was...the admin made a decision (or are thinking about it, I dunno cause the op did not say anything about anything other than they were offended, boo hoo) and we have a great resource here and what they say goes. Period. In my humble opinion. They have kept this place well under control given that it IS global, and we have various opinions, as well as various language barriers, and they do it without getting paid for it on their own time that they give us.

And @Zany_in_CO I am not picking a fight with you or anything for your reply. I am just backing up my original post. Still ❤ you LOL.

I just see that the OP put out an idea and it got shot down, then had a hissy fit.

And for every time something was popular we would have too many to go through, when we have a simple search engine. Shave soaps just happen to be the popular thing now.

When I became a member last year, the thing was salt bars. They could have had a salt bar sub forum.

Then it was pine tar bars.

Don't forget pull throughs, salting out, and felting. You can always start a thread and if it is popular then people will keep posting on it. THEN maybe it will become a sub forum lol

Johnez

What if I....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can always start a thread and if it is popular then people will keep posting on it. THEN maybe it will become a sub forum lol

8 years, 67 pages of posts. I have yet to see a larger thread.

The funny thing is I think that thread is the exact reason we need a subforum. A pattern I see often is noobies will be directed toward that thread, as it's the "bible" of sorts for shave soap. While I encourage anyone interested in shave soap to read it, the thread is massive and unwieldy, especially when you have a simple question. I've seen exchanges where a simple question was never answered because the poster did not read the whole thread. Should we be placing that burden on new posters? Seems unfair and spites the whole purpose of forums (discussion and knowledge sharing), and let's not forget growing a membership.

There's a lot of interest in shave soap. It has a unique enough purpose to be separately listed by the FDA (in the US). There's a forum for bath and body products, for liquid soap, why not shave soap?

Primrose

Reaction score
At the end of the day, it is up to the admins to decide on the format of the forum, not the members. Contacting an admin directly with your suggestion would have been more appropriate. Getting members here to vote is not productive and just a waste of time really.

Reaction score

this would be useful
I would most definitely help in this gathering.
:swinging:
  1. it'd be nice to collect the important threads/references in advance. In case admins decide to introduce the category, it'd make sense to move threads there – and support the admins: by picking the relevant ones! If this doesn't happen, a list of “must-know” threads is still useful for everyone as a guide for shave soapers through SMF.
I don't have a good overview over shave soap threads in SMF, but I'll start anyway, with the ones that come to my mind atm:
My first shaving soap is a success! | In the still of the night....2 shave soaps | How long does the average shaving foam last you before it collapses? | Batch #3 in my Soapin Adventure: MdC shave soap clone

Marsi

Reaction score
Did I miss your post, Dearest Owl?

To be clear, my suggestion is to take the list of known threads on shaving soap, and make a new thread
(I lose useful links like yours quickly if they are buried in other posts ... like requests to make a subforum ;))

I've read the songwind thread about 3 times through now (and parts again when I search it for specific information)
sometimes smaller threads are easier to negotiate for small questions

And, I hope this is acceptable to this forum, the Badger and Blade forum is also a good resource

Reaction score
Being that I am getting ready to try shave soap again, my vote would be Yay. I found this thread by searching for shave soap threads.
This is exactly the point I am tryin to make here. BAM! As Emeril would say!
60290214.jpg

At the end of the day, it is up to the admins to decide on the format of the forum, not the members. Contacting an admin directly with your suggestion would have been more appropriate. Getting members here to vote is not productive and just a waste of time really.
That is your opinion and such, and you're entitled to it.

I disagree, I belief this thread is extremely productive as evidenced by all the posts and replies contained herein.

I just see that the OP put out an idea and it got shot down, then had a hissy fit.
I believe MS. Catscankim has an issue with me and my original post. Oh well, life is too short to worry about it.

I will continue on in my quest and see what develops. So far the vast majority support me and the idea.

In internet nouns:
Different spellings can have quite different connotations; so in some contexts a "newb" refers to a beginner who is willing to learn, while a "noob" refers disparagingly to an inexperienced or under-talented hacker or gamer who lacks the determination to learn.

When I was an admin on two different forum we never used the term "NOOB" because of the perceived insult. We always referred to newer members as "NEWBS" or "NEWBIES".

So if you must refer to me in that vernacular, please use the term "Newb", Thank You!

beckster51

Reaction score
Having been on this forum for a while, I can tell you that intense interests come and go. I have been making my shaving soap for years, and I did most of my research on Badger and Blade and then here. For quite some time, there was very little interest in shaving soap, then it popped back up. It will die down again after everyone is satisfied with their efforts. And I will also say that having been on this forum for a few years, most of the questions that come up have been asked and answered multiple times, and I rarely see any new questions or information posted. Most new folks do not do much research of the information that is already posted here. For example, several of us have shared our successful recipes for shaving soap on this forum in the past. If you want it, it's there, you just have to look.

The admins on this forum do a lot of free, helpful, and courteous work for members. Even if you do some of the work for them in starting a new section, they will ultimately be responsible for getting it all done. It seems quite pushy and discourteous for this subject to continue to be pursued in this way. Again, another question has been asked and answered. Let's let this go. Making these types of demands is just one of the ways that forums become less civil and ultimately die a natural death because no one wants to be the administrator. If you really want this, then perhaps you should start your own shaving soap forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.