Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Bernardo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Angie
Would it be possible to include a new sub-section to The Soap Making & Craft Forum section?

I propose a SHAVE SOAPS Forum as the new sub-section. I believe the interest is there.

Perhaps others may chime in with their opinions and thoughts? Let's hear it from the others: YAY or NAY ?

Thanks In Advance for your consideration!

Professor Bernardo

Johnez

What if I....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please make this a possibility. I feel like shave soap is unique enough that a dedicated space here would grow this forum to sort of have a home for shave soapers.

And a hearty "Yay!" from me. 🥳

Last edited:

ResolvableOwl

Notorious Lyear
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no definite opinion on this, but two annotations:
  1. Technically, shave soaps are close enough to liquid soaps to justify placing shave soaps in the “liquid soap” category (that would sound like a slight “nay”, but hol' on). However, in practice the shave soap threads are scattered throughout multiple forums. The subdivision that places LS outside “lye-based soaps” is already somewhat artificial/historical; how could another niche make things worse? (that's my “yay” tendency)
  2. Regardless if (existing and new) shave soap threads find a new homestead or not, it'd be nice to collect the important threads/references in advance. In case admins decide to introduce the category, it'd make sense to move threads there – and support the admins: by picking the relevant ones! If this doesn't happen, a list of “must-know” threads is still useful for everyone as a guide for shave soapers through SMF.
I don't have a good overview over shave soap threads in SMF, but I'll start anyway, with the ones that come to my mind atm:
My first shaving soap is a success! | In the still of the night....2 shave soaps | How long does the average shaving foam last you before it collapses? | Batch #3 in my Soapin Adventure: MdC shave soap clone

Professor Bernardo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no definite opinion on this, but two annotations....
LOL! I swear if I asked for directions from Hamburg to Munich you would take me by way of Krakow!

You must be part politician or attorney, you say "Yay" out of one side of your mouth and "Nay" out of the other side.
Don't take offense, I find it amusing, I ask for a Y or N response and I get a fence sitter.

As they say in Paris... C'est la Vie!

ResolvableOwl

Notorious Lyear
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But, but … mon Dieu, Kraków is a beautiful city too! People should ask themselves if whatever they aim for in Munich might be found in Kraków just as well.

Joke aside. It's worthwhile to rethink the historical structure of SMF, and I'm happy to support this process. Whatever success the petition in this thread might have – I'm not the one to decide this, but I can contribute that it is an enrichment for the shave soap sub-community.

Johnez

What if I....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no definite opinion on this, but two annotations:
  1. Technically, shave soaps are close enough to liquid soaps to justify placing shave soaps in the “liquid soap” category (that would sound like a slight “nay”, but hol' on). However, in practice the shave soap threads are scattered throughout multiple forums. The subdivision that places LS outside “lye-based soaps” is already somewhat artificial/historical; how could another niche make things worse? (that's my “yay” tendency)
  2. Regardless if (existing and new) shave soap threads find a new homestead or not, it'd be nice to collect the important threads/references in advance. In case admins decide to introduce the category, it'd make sense to move threads there – and support the admins: by picking the relevant ones! If this doesn't happen, a list of “must-know” threads is still useful for everyone as a guide for shave soapers through SMF.
I don't have a good overview over shave soap threads in SMF, but I'll start anyway, with the ones that come to my mind atm:
My first shaving soap is a success! | In the still of the night....2 shave soaps | How long does the average shaving foam last you before it collapses? | Batch #3 in my Soapin Adventure: MdC shave soap clone
You make a good point regarding the collection of relevant threads in one space. It would serve the members well. Regarding comparisons of SS to LS I have to disagree. SS doesn't go through a "paste" phase, nor is put into pumps, nor has the goal a goal of clarity, nor does it even serve a similar purpose. Shave soap's purpose is different from all soaps in fact, even though it's a "traditional" soap with lye and fat. The purpose makes it classified as a cosmetic by the US govt, though that's a minor point being this is a worldwide forum, but it does show an example of how different this stuff is.

I have a feeling this may be met with the same response that Zany's colorant sub forum request got, however perhaps we have a chance here. Another consideration for a Shave Soap Sub forum (SSS?) is that it would foster discussion and could draw even more people to the forum and into posting. As it is now, if a person got interested in shave soap they'd have wade through all the bar soap threads, tentatively make a post asking questions, and then be directed to Songwind. Why not save a step here? As a well seasoned member here, I don't worry too much about that as the search function is surprisingly excellent (better than any other forum I've visited), however a new person interested in shave soaps might not get that far. Making a whole sub dedicated to this would IMO encourage engagement right away and remove an obstacle.

Last edited:

lenarenee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I say Yay too. For ease of use, if nothing else.
And while I have no idea why shave soap is similar to liquid soap other than potassium hydroxide, I like the way R Owl thinks; to me that's thorough thinking.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
A spiteful NAY! 😁 -- at least not before we get a much-requested separate forum for COLORANTS -- they also end up "scattered throughout multiple forums". At least, "shave soap" is an easily searchable topic with a few highly recommended links. Search "Colorants" and you get a plethora of threads, some of which aren't all that specific. 🤪
I have a feeling this may be met with the same response that Zany's colorant sub forum request got,
:thumbup:
Making a whole sub dedicated to this would IMO encourage engagement right away and remove an obstacle.
With all due respect, IMHO, those who are attracted to Shave Soap don't seem to hang around very long after getting the help they need. I'd venture to guess that category has the highest number of "Here Today, Gone Tomorrow" participants. I could be wrong. Dunno.

Whereas, COLORANTS cut across all segments of bath & body products.

ETA: My apologies to @Professor Bernardo for hijacking this thread. In reponse to your request for votes, and to support the cause, change my vote to YAY!

Last edited:

Johnez

What if I....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oooh dissent, I like it!

A spiteful NAY! 😁 -- at least not before we get a much-requested separate forum for COLORANTS -- they also end up "scattered throughout multiple forums". At least, "shave soap" is an easily searchable topic with a few highly recommended links. Search "Colorants" and you get a plethora of threads, some of which aren't all that specific. 🤪
Searchable yes, but that's when a crazy wetshaver has settled in and found the rabbit hole. A stray future shave soaper might not even be aware that we make shave soap here by scrolling through if a few of us didn't persist.

With all due respect, IMHO, those who are attracted to Shave Soap don't seem to hang around very long after getting the help they need. I'd venture to guess that category has the highest number of "Here Today, Gone Tomorrow" participants. I could be wrong. Dunno.
But imagine if there was a forum for these folk. Imaaaagine the madness. 🤣 I get where you're coming from, however there *are* quite a few shave soapers here, and some that aren't strictly that are interested and contribute to discussions. Once again, I think a forum dedicated to shave soap would lead to more discussion, interest, and a few more would stick around.

I feel ya. At least with additives you got a specific ingredient to search and get specific, searching for a good "red" might be a bit tougher. Maybe if they added colorants to EOs and FO fragrance section it would help collect them a bit easier.

Bubble Agent

Reaction score
There are so many valid points, and I am not quite sure my 2 cents holds any weight one way or the other for anyone with a say in this matter. But yes from me. I actually have a specific reason in mind for my stance, but it is so late now I have to go to bed. I`ll pop in later tomorrow.

Night all!
(..or night owl, if that is your thing🦉)

Professor Bernardo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious what the mods/admins think.
I received a message from an admin in a PM and was asked why I had not asked the admins prior to posting my thread.
I don't know if I stepped on someone's collective toes... I prefer to keep my requests public so that ALL MEMBERS may have input.

Actually I was slightly miffed by the question to be honest. Oh well, we'll see what develops.

I agree with you Miss @Zany_in_CO, for a several months I would check out this forum prior to joining. I saw that several members had experience with shaving soaps which I was just getting in to at the time of joining. I do have roughly twenty years of experience in CP and LS however. I just don't do fancy colored soaps or soap that looks like cupcakes, Twinkies, Mexican Wedding cookies, etc., and so on.

For me, soap is soap and has a few functions such as cleansing, rinseable, conditioning and scent. Keeping It Simply Soap is my motto!

Johnez

What if I....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I received a message from an admin in a PM and was asked why I had not asked the admins prior to posting my thread.
I don't know if I stepped on someone's collective toes... I prefer to keep my requests public so that ALL MEMBERS may have input.

Actually I was slightly miffed by the question to be honest. Oh well, we'll see what develops.
Well, you did ask others for their thoughts. You didn't make a demand or pressure too hard IMO. I wouldn't feel too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts