New Square free site now on Weebly?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lin19687

Reaction score
OMG it so stinks !!!
The free site before was so much faster to edit, move things, see what you had in stock on the website !

Now you are going to have to pay $6 (or more) PER MONTH. if you have your own domain.
You can't see if people came to look at your site unless you Pay for that option and everything else is also an extra option.

I do not like Weebly

Edit to change Yearly to Monthly

Last edited:
I would say $6 per year seems pretty cheap to me, our website was more like $500 per year when we had it up and running. Not much is free in this world and if you want a quality website you really have to pay for it.

I would say $6 per year seems pretty cheap to me, our website was more like $500 per year when we had it up and running. Not much is free in this world and if you want a quality website you really have to pay for it.

I am talking about the FREE site they offer. That $6 is JUST for moving over your Domain that you bought elsewhere. I used SQ because of the payment aspect and the SIMPLE free website. It was the easiest to set up to get going fast. Weebly is not as user friendly as SQ's site was. Not totally bad bad, just need to get used to it but it loads slower and there are multiple pages to just get to edit an item.
Depending on your needs, Soap websites don't need to spend $500 a year on a website. You would be silly to spend that on a soap website... unless you did a full bathroom wares kind of thing like Lush and Cleared over $20k a year.
Today websites are a dime a dozen. Sure you can say that you get what you pay for but for most people buying they don't care. They care about how easy and fast the website runs (same with the biz people).

I haven't been able to check out the new Square on Weebly site because they haven't figured out the conversion for existing Weebly users.* I'm supposedly on the beta test list for when they do figure it out. It would really suck for me if I had to pay for the Weebly PRO plan just to use it simply because I have an existing account. I'll admit that I haven't done much reading up on the new Weebly/Square site (because at the moment it doesn't apply to me), but my initial reading lead me to believe that if you have an existing domain purchased elsewhere and transfer it to the new Square, you no longer pay the original domain purchase but pay Square for the domain. So for me instead of paying $12 to Google (my original domain purchase) + $6 to Square, I would now only pay $6 to Square. I could be wrong, but that was how I interpreted it when the beta testing came out 6+ months ago. And things may have changed based on the beta test group as well, I suppose.

*My current website is Weebly, that I paid $120 (total) for 2 years, which is a very comfortable $5 a month for a website that is my own domain and I have control over. My shopping page is an outside link to my Square market page that is free. "Free" of course isn't really free, as you pay a % of the total transaction + .30, but it's a much much cheaper option for someone who doesn't do a lot of online sales compared to upgrading Weebly to the PRO or Business plans (several hundred dollars, last year when I tried it it was $389 annually).

Anyways, thanks for the heads up that maybe things aren't as great as they were before. It's been in the back of my mind to create a "dummy" Square account just to look at what's new, but I haven't invested the time in doing it. With my luck, about the time that I do it they will roll out the beta group for existing users.

Oh now it didn't say anything about the domain thing.... I will look more into it, but I have to say their FAQ section sucks, not enough info like the Domain for example. I only had the free and didn't look at Weebly in general so maybe they have more info, I'll go there, thanks
I also have google and it expires in March so good to know !

edit, my bad it is $6 per Month if you have your own domain.
You Could get free but you don't have your own domain. If you do domain through Weebly it is $12/ month.

Last edited:
I paid for my domain with google domains for $12 and just forward it to my weebly site. I built out a square site and it reminds me of Shopify. it’s okay. I didn’t like paying for the weebly site and I’m not going to pay square to have my custom domain transferred and then be held hostage. I may eventually have a WordPress site and install WooCommerce but I’m just so busy doing other people’s sites that I need the minimalist site for people to order and see what’s available.

I have another site that I use BigCartel for and it’s free for 5 products, $9.99 to have a custom domain with 25 products a month and you can upgrade/downgrade at will. I forward my domain for that site as well.

I don’t mind paying the transaction fees because it’s lower than paying for hosting/domain transferring and I’ll keep forwarding my sites.

Back