New Soaping Area.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad I found this thread. My wife just told me I can't use "her kitchen" anymore. :) So now I'm looking for burners and maybe a microwave to soap in a spare room. Maybe a mini fridge too. But that has nothing to do with soaping. :)

I'm glad I found this thread. My wife just told me I can't use "her kitchen" anymore. :) So now I'm looking for burners and maybe a microwave to soap in a spare room. Maybe a mini fridge too. But that has nothing to do with soaping. :)
What do you mean the mini fridge has nothing to do with soaping? Somebody, please tell me I'm not the only one munching snacks and drinking a beverage while melting my oils! 😁 I put them out of the way before pulling out the lye, of course, but as soon as my soap is put to bed, I wash my gloves, remove my gloves, wash my hands, and continue munching. I find it's easier to process any unpleasant feelings about my soaping endeavors and the mountain of dishes I've created that way. 🙃
Besides, refrigerating your butters and oils is supposed to help with shelf life.. so there's that, too.

I CP soap now on a gas stove. But that's not really an option for my new area. Should I go with induction, infrared or ? Any advice on these options?

I use a NSF rated electric hot plate by Waring professional ... It's called "professional extra burner" and it works fantastically for melting my oils 🤩

I love my trusty Oster electric hot plate! When we moved into our house -- WITH NO KITCHEN! AND 4 COVID refugees moving in -- I bought the hotplate and originally thought of it as a stopgap. Then we finished our kitchen and with all the new beautiful surfaces, I was paranoid to work with lye. So I repurposed the basement wood shop into my soap shop and still using my trusty hotplate. Our old house was set up differently and I would have to haul 2 boxes of soap stuff into the kitchen every time. I love having a dedicated space and having everything just out and within reach.

I can't wait to see pictures of people's workspaces! I'm just getting started and just work in my kitchen (and outside for the lye)

Last edited:
I can't wait to see pictures of people's workspaces! I'm just getting started and just work in my kitchen (and outside for the lye)
That's what I do as well, it's a pain dragging everything out, cleaning up and putting it all away though.

Latest posts

Back