New Soaper Question...............

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craftgirl08

Reaction score
Is it normal to have a "banana" type odor to newly made soap? Does the scent that you added come out as the bars cure?

craftgirl08

craftgirl08 said:
Is it normal to have a "banana" type odor to newly made soap? Does the scent that you added come out as the bars cure?

craftgirl08

Hey craft! the banana type odor?? what type of oils did you use?? I think wed be better able to answer this knowing the composition of the recipe. some oils tend to carry scent through to the finished soap and others do not.

In the curing process, water evaporates out of the bar (in cold processed soap...MP (melt and pour) dont need to cure and are ready to use after cooling). This evaporation of water leaves a higher concentration of the scent in the soap and hence a stronger smell since there is less water left in the soap to dilute it. Hope that helped! let me know if you need further clarification and keep asking questions! thats how we all learn !!

Hi!

Is it a banana type smell or a playdoh type of smell? There are many FOs that smell like playdoh in soap. Much to my chagrin! Now I don't buy fragrances before checking out how it does in soap.

A great place to research fragrances is here:

http://soapscentreview.obisoap.ca/

It's a pay it forward site - so leave any results you might have about FOs for others to see.

Hey everyone. :) Yes, playdough is what is smells like. Is that normal for freshly handmade soap? I followed the calculator from Summer Bee Meadows for my recipe calculation. I used 8oz Coconut Oil, 4oz Palm Oil, 4oz Canola Oil. The soap appeared like the log soap on the soapscents forum page at the top. What do ya think? I measured with a postal scale to the tee and mixed my oils and lye at 110 degrees.

I made a batch of Midsummer Night last week and today the bars are harder and I can now smell the Midsummer Night better and the play dough scent is fading on that one particular batch. Is this normal?

And thanks a bunch for the scent review link. I registered and will check it out after the admin approves my registration. :)

craftgirl08

Yes - some scents it will fade in with the FO scent coming back strong. Some never change from the playdoh smell. One of my favorite FOs smells like playdoh - forever. :cry:

Hey there!
Iam having similar probs with mine. I can never guage how much EO to put in the batch, and now I can't smell it at all. It was supposed to be poppy seed and lime, I added lime and lemongrass EO, but as I was worried about adding too much, i don't think I added enough, so my soap just smells kinda soapy!!
How much EO should I be adding roughly per lb oils??
many thanks

I think the average is about .7-1 oz per pound of oils??

Ian is correct....however for strong EOs such as cinnamon cut it to 0.4 oz per pound of oils...

how much eo to use is the million dollar ????. some are stronger than others as you know so the best thing to do is make lots of soap and find out what works. I don't weight my eo or fo, I use 1 tbs/lbs of soap as a general rule.

ok, so a 10ml bottle of EO isn't going to go very far is it!! that's where my problem lies, I need to save up and buy bigger bottles :oops: :D
I have been adding drop wise, no where near enough, silly me!
thanks guys!

This is soooo weird..... :shock:
I recently made a batch of Paul's Wal-mart recipe soap (I've made 4 small batches using the same recipe) and the one I used Sandalwood & Vanilla smells like playdoh!!
It's very interesting to find out that I'm not the only one this has happened to! I don't know why...but somehow that makes me feel better! :p

Hi!

Essential Oils are wonderful - but use the suggested amounts given to you by the supplier if you don't have experience with them. Some can be toxic and others will cause skin sensitivity. Read all the info about them before buying and using them in your soap. For example - there are a number of oils that can't be used by pregnant women. This should be added to your labeling or description in some way to protect yourself and those using your soaps. I think people forget to do their research here because they are all natural. There are many things in nature that can kill you or make you sick.

Some EO's can kill a cat if used to bath them. EO's are wonderful, but powerful things. Using spice EO's in sensitive areas can be quite painful.

Paul :wink:

Back