New Soaper from NE Ohio

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FFLinOhio

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Since I have severe chemical and fragrance allergies I've always had difficulty finding things that I could use that didn't trigger an asthma/allergy attack.
I've been reading all your posts in this forum since last summer and have learned so much.
I'm looking forward to learning more from all of you.
Thank you for allowing me to join.
FFLinOhio

Welcome! As someone who can't walk down the cleaning aisle at the store without getting a migraine, I (literally) can feel at least some of your pain. Making your own soap is a great step towards freedom from all that. Have fun!

Welcome.gif

Since I have severe chemical and fragrance allergies I've always had difficulty finding things that I could use that didn't trigger an asthma/allergy attack.
You are in good company! Quite a few members joined the forum for the same reason. Don't hesitate to reach out with any particular issue you want to address. Also, if you haven't already found it, the Search feature is located in the upper right corner of this page.

You may find this thread helpful as well:

ADVICE TO BEGINNERS

And this one... good advice and a fun read but you may want to take a cuppa along... :nodding:

WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO YOUR BEGINNING SOAPING SELF?

Hello everyone,
I've been reading all your posts in this forum since last summer and have learned so much.
I'm looking forward to learning more from all of you.
Thank you for allowing me to join.
FFLinOhio

I'm also scent sensitive and have to be careful which FO I use. You're in the middle of a lot of soap suppliers. I use NG, WSP, and Nurture. Please feel free to message me if you're interested in any of their FO. If I've used it I'm happy to share whether it bothered me, and even send you a few drops on a cotton ball to smell. I got into this in part because of the need to control ingredients, same as many of us here.

Hope in SW Ohio (formerly Northern OH and before that NE IN - I sure don't miss the lack of snow here!)

I'm also scent sensitive and have to be careful which FO I use. You're in the middle of a lot of soap suppliers. I use NG, WSP, and Nurture. Please feel free to message me if you're interested in any of their FO. If I've used it I'm happy to share whether it bothered me, and even send you a few drops on a cotton ball to smell. I got into this in part because of the need to control ingredients, same as many of us here.

Hope in SW Ohio (formerly Northern OH and before that NE IN - I sure don't miss the lack of snow here!)

Thank you for your kind offer. I really appreciate it.

Unfortunately I have yet to find any EO/FO that do not trigger an asthma attack or headache/nausea. However I am looking for natural "unscented/fragrance free" EOs that would work in MP soap and lotions, hand soaps, deodorant, etc. just for the beneficial properties. I would love your recommendations on those :)

My allergies are bad enough that I have to wear an Organic Vapor Gas Mask (yes I wore masks long before Covid made it common ;)) when I am in large crowds such as weddings, meetings, etc. Many times I've had an asthma attack within 5-30 minutes...sometimes it takes longer like 1-2 hours for my lungs to tighten and the wheezing to turn into a terrible attack. I've ended up in the ER several times. Avoidance is my best protection.

So far we have had success with some items from WSP and BA - both are an hour away from us. We had to go through probably 50-70 of their products that were "unscented" but still triggered a reaction before we found a few products that were truly "fragrance free" The MPs that seemed to be the safest were the detergent-free (sulfate-free) bases.

I am afraid to attempt CP due to the fact that LYE has a strong smell. I react to many cleaning solutions and even the strangest things will trigger an attack. So far I've stuck with MP soap, and very few of WSP and BAs Lotions , body wash, and shampoo bases.

I would love to make my own. I'm am looking forward to learning more on this forum :)

FFLinOhio

I am afraid to attempt CP due to the fact that LYE has a strong smell.
NaOH lye is necessary for making CP soap. Wearing a mask, goggles and gloves are essential safety measures. Mix your lye in a well ventilated area. I add my lye to cold water from the fridge, giving it a quick stir. I walk away for a minute and when I return the fumes have settled enough to stir it until completely dissolved and clear. I do this in my sink.

Find the Beginners Learn to Soap Online thread that will help you get off on the right foot for making your first CP batches. Scroll down to "Lovin' Soap Studio" for sage advice and clear instructions for making CP (Cold Process).

Back