New Soaper Dry Skin How does this recipe look?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luebella

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Thanks for taking the time to read this, I appreciate it. I am new to making soap and having so much fun. So far I have made three loaves. One cold process, and two hot process to test out recipes.

Each recipe was palm free, and I find that the hard bar one is nice, but I used a good bit of cocoa butter in it, and thats just going to be too expensive to keep up. My last batch I made I used shea instead and sodium lactate. Too soft.

I think I may have to try palm oil. I think I should leave the coconut oil down a bit since I have dry skin?

How does this look?

A solid soap, measured in ounces superfatted by 6%
Oil(s) Selected Amount %

Castor Oil 2.00oz 6.25%

Coconut Oil (76 Degrees) 6.50oz 20.31%

Olive Oil 8.50oz 26.56%

Palm Oil 11.00oz 34.38%

Rice Bran Oil 2.00oz 6.25%

Shea Butter (Unrefined) 2.00oz 6.25%

6% Lye (Sodium Hydroxide) Amount 4.384oz

Ounces of liquid recommended 10.56oz

Yields 46.94oz

Is this too much palm? Id like to keep the coconut no higher than this because I have dry skin. Someone suggested swapping the palm and olive oil but I worry the bar will be too soft.

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. If I drop it what other oil should I replace the 5 percent with?

2 weeks and one 3 weeks. I know it's best to wait longer and will Def see how they are at 6 weeks

I would just drop your CO and add the difference to your Palm. What SF are you using? You may want to put it at 6-7% Otherwise, it looks like it will be a pretty good batch.

2-3 weeks is just not long enough to know how good your soap is going to be. Wait until they've cured 4+ weeks and you may find you like it much better.

Thanks!! Here is what Ive come up with

A solid soap, measured in ounces superfatted by 6%

Oil(s) Selected Amount %

Castor Oil 2.50oz 6.58%

Coconut Oil (Virgin) 7.00oz 18.42%

Olive Oil 13.00oz 34.21%

Palm Oil 13.00oz 34.21%

Shea Butter (Unrefined) 2.50oz 6.58%

6% Lye (Sodium Hydroxide) Amount 5.186oz
Ounces of liquid recommended 12.54oz
Yields 55.73oz

The cleansing number is a 13 though, do you think I should aim for a 14?

That looks pretty good. Give it a try. That's the only way you will truly know if it will work for you. Everyone is different and prefer different #'s. Though they are only a base, don't rely on them too much. 0 cleansing will still get you clean.

I would also suggest measuring in grams as it is much more accurate especially in smaller batches.

Latest posts

Back