New soap maker

Discussion in 'Beginners Soap Making Forum' started by Poowong soaper, Feb 14, 2020.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Feb 14, 2020 #1

Poowong soaper

Poowong soaper

Poowong soaper

Hi, I've recently started soap making, so far I have made 7 batches using different oils etc. The most frustrating thing is waiting for the soap to cure. I read you can reduce the amount of water to speed up the curing. How much water reduction can be made? I was calculating water as a percentage of oils, but then read it should have been against the lye, so altered that but this method reduces the amount of water by about 2 oz. Which method is best? Sorry 2 questions.

SmockingRN likes this.
  2. Feb 14, 2020 #2

lsg

lsg

lsg

Staff Member Admin

As soap ages it does lose water to evaporation, reducing the water does not really speed up the cure. Curing is not just about getting a harder, solider bar. As soap cures or ages it gets milder and gets better. Castile soap needs several months curing to be at its best.

3. Feb 14, 2020 #3

CatahoulaBubble

CatahoulaBubble

CatahoulaBubble

Supporting Member

Curing is more than the evaporation of liquid. Curing is the changing of the crystalline structure of the soap itself.

4. Feb 14, 2020 #4

Zing

Zing

Zing

Part of soaping is cultivating patience! My solution is to soap often so that something is always done curing while I wait for others to cure. Welcome!

5. Feb 15, 2020 #5

Relle

Relle

Relle

Administrator & Bunny Fanatic Staff Member Admin SPONSOR

Waiting for soap to cure is part of the process. Patience comes with time, put them away and before you know it, the 6 wks will be up. :).

Draft saved Draft deleted