New soap maker - Viggie Vegan soap for sensitive soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sal

Reaction score
Hmm. Maybe 5% SF? And I would lean towards both 1/2 tablespoon per pound of oils on the sugar, and either Aloe Vera juice or an alcoholic beverage of choice (with the alcohol boiled off) as the liquid.
I think aloe Vera juice will be easier to work with ? Is best to stick blend the sugar in the oils or add them after trace ?

Sal, looks like i didn't answer the second half of your question

I think aloe Vera juice will be easier to work with ? Is best to stick blend the sugar in the oils or add them after trace ?
you can add reduced sugar syrup or golden syrup to the oils and blend it in - this is easy to do
adding sugar syrups (not grains) at trace can be done but risks sticky spots in the soap if you cant blend it completely

or sugars (grain, syrup, honey for those who use it) can be added to the water BEFORE you add lye
(if you add sugar after the lye is in, the sugar sinks and often will not dissolve)

:cool:
My skin is fairly hardy - a little on the dry side if anything.
Yes I do sell - including to my sister in law who gets eczema and she loves my soap.
Great. Might work for me then thank you. I shall split the castor oil as you suggested and see how my skin likes it.

How long do you cure your bars for ?

Thank you for your help Kiwi

Sal, looks like i didn't answer the second half of your question

you can add reduced sugar syrup or golden syrup to the oils and blend it in - this is easy to do
adding sugar syrups (not grains) at trace can be done but risks sticky spots in the soap if you cant blend it completely

or sugars can also be added to the water BEFORE you add lye
(if you add sugar after the lye is in, the sugar sinks and often will not dissolve)
Thank you for help Marsi. Does one work better than the other (granulated sugar vs golden syrup) do you know? If I do decide to use golden syrup, will that be half the amount of the granulated sugar then do you think ?

white sugar does not change the colour of your soap
golden syrup adds a bit of colour (as does honey)

look at the carbohydrate on your packaging
my sugar is 4g carbohydrates to 4g serving, so it is all sugar
my golden syrup is 5g carbohydrates for 7g serving, so mine has some water in it (and I could use slightly more)

the amount GemstonePony suggested (1/2 tablespoon* per pound) is a good amount if you are adding aloe as well
(*corrected error - 1/2 tablespoon, not teaspoon)

Last edited:
white sugar does not change the colour of your soap
golden syrup adds a bit of colour (as does honey)

look at the carbohydrate on your packaging
my sugar is 4g carbohydrates to 4g serving, so it is all sugar
my golden syrup is 5g carbohydrates for 7g serving, so mine has some water in it (and I could use slightly more)

the amount GemstonePony suggested (1/2 teaspoon per pound) is a good amount if you are adding aloe as well
Great thank you. Sorry for my many questions 🙈. If I don’t use aloe juice then I will up the sugar level ?

I feel like noting that Aloe has never changed the color of my soap, either.

Also, I use honey at a little over a tablespoon per pound of oil, and was suggesting sugar at a half-tablespoon, or one-and-a-half teaspoons per pound of oil (3 teaspoons=1 tablespoon). If I'm nervous about longevity, I'll lower sugar to a teaspoon per pound of oils, but never less than that. And that's regardless of whatever additional sugars are in the liquid for the lye.

Great thank you. Sorry for my many questions 🙈. If I don’t use aloe juice then I will up the sugar level ?
my usage rates are about the same as GemstonePonys
(Ive corrected my previous post - GemstonePonys measurement is tablespoon)

some brands of aloe juice add extra sugar (check the carbohydrates in the nutrition pane)
checking and consider adjusting for added sugar (especially if there is 1% or more) in the juice is worth doing in my opinion

direct from the plant fresh aloe has very little sugar
no adjustment is necessary

Good point about potential sugar added to the Aloe Vera juice, Marsi. Also noting, I believe mine has citric acid as a preservative. It's less than 1%, so I don't care about the addition to my superfat. Anyways, definitely read the ingredient label.

Good point about potential sugar added to the Aloe Vera juice, Marsi. Also noting, I believe mine has citric acid as a preservative. It's less than 1%, so I don't care about the addition to my superfat. Anyways, definitely read the ingredient label.
my usage rates are about the same as GemstonePonys
(Ive corrected my previous post - GemstonePonys measurement is tablespoon)

some brands of aloe juice add extra sugar (check the carbohydrates in the nutrition pane)
checking and consider adjusting for added sugar (especially if there is 1% or more) in the juice is worth doing in my opinion

direct from the plant fresh aloe has very little sugar
no adjustment is necessary
:cool:
My skin is fairly hardy - a little on the dry side if anything.
Yes I do sell - including to my sister in law who gets eczema and she loves my soap.
Thank you all guys for sharing your knowledge. Should have asked before filling my house with soaps we don’t like lol. Still will use them up one or the other. Once Soywax is back in store, will purchase some and let you all know how it goes 😊

If you use soap making friend as your soap calculator it works out the extra lye you need if using citric acid to save you any brain drain.

thank you seasuds for sharing your knowledge. As you live in the UK, do you have any special place you like to get your oils from ? Currently get my RBO and OO from the supermarkets.

thank you seasuds for sharing your knowledge. As you live in the UK, do you have any special place you like to get your oils from ? Currently get my RBO and OO from the supermarkets.

I have found that supermarkets are cheaper for RBO than soap making suppliers as is light in colour olive from Aldis or Lidls (although I don't use olive oil). Home Bargains stocks an organic coconut oil too. There is a large Chinese supermarket about 20 miles from me that I hope to check out for RBO once lockdown is over, perhaps there is one near you too. The Soapery or Mystic Moments is good for butters etc. I am stressed now that you've pointed out that Eurosoy is out of stock, I hope it's not a Brexit thing!!

1607688118522.png

If you want to crack on without the soy wax then here is a recipe that I used to use. It is expensive with all that butter but it has a lower cleansing value for sensitive skin. Don't worry about the low bubble value, once you add one of the suggested sugary options (I enjoy aloe vera powder, sorbitol, honey or beer) you should get a nice fluffy lather. Its a 1 lb test batch size and I've lowered the water:lye ratio as I find this reduces soda ash. It's only through trial and error that you will find what suits your family needs. For example, I can't tolerate high coconut or any olive oil (makes my skin itchy) so I substitute olive oil for high oleic sunflower oil. Have fun, make small batches until you find what works for your skin! If you try this recipe just go easy on the stick blender as i find cocoa butter traces quite quickly!

View attachment 52314

If you want to crack on without the soy wax then here is a recipe that I used to use. It is expensive with all that butter but it has a lower cleansing value for sensitive skin. Don't worry about the low bubble value, once you add one of the suggested sugary options (I enjoy aloe vera powder, sorbitol, honey or beer) you should get a nice fluffy lather. Its a 1 lb test batch size and I've lowered the water:lye ratio as I find this reduces soda ash. It's only through trial and error that you will find what suits your family needs. For example, I can't tolerate high coconut or any olive oil (makes my skin itchy) so I substitute olive oil for high oleic sunflower oil. Have fun, make small batches until you find what works for your skin! If you try this recipe just go easy on the stick blender as i find cocoa butter traces quite quickly!
Thank you very much seasuds 😊. I was steering towards similar recipe when it was suggested I up the butters.
With the view of selling in future I think the butters options looks to me to expensive. Cocoa butter is quite expensive.
Do you sell your soaps? If you do how is the market in the UK?

yep soy wax is not in stock on their website, eBay or Amazon so is a waiting game for me until is back in stock as I would want to try the soy wax option.

Also, where do you find HO sunflower I the UK? Never seen any in the supermarket. I do buy my OO from lidl and RBO from tesco. I shall look around for oils in the Chinese shops

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back