New soap label

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SozoArtisanSoaps

Reaction score
These are our new soap labels. (posting in the right place instead of another thread hahaha) There is also a "sniffer" hole so people keep their noses off the soap :)

o&h.jpg

snifferhole.jpg

I think your labels are really lovely! The only thing I would say is that the balance of the label doesn't quite work for me. It's busy at the bottom and has big spaces at the top. It might be that the company name is very light and the writing below quite dark. That being said, the label would draw me in to look at your soaps and definitely buy them!

Love the label! I think if you added a black outline to your logo, it would balance out everything. The only other super minor thing I'd do... make the typeface for your website and net weight identical.

Great to see you have an ingredient label including lye! Only thing I would change on that is list everything in descending order of weights, like I'm guessing your cocoa powder would be at the end as your least ingredient.

Aaaww, cute sniffer hole!

I like your labels, and I like the ol`fashioned look to it. The only thing (and this is not a biggie!) but I think the logo sort of disapears competing with the darker text and frame. It sort of lacks some depth to it, so your brandname doesn`t stand out as much, if you know what I mean?
Darker contours around the name would help me thinks. But other than that, I really, really liked them! Well done! : )

Great to see you have an ingredient label including lye! Only thing I would change on that is list everything in descending order of weights, like I'm guessing your cocoa powder would be at the end as your least ingredient.
Why do you put Naoh on labels? It is not present in the soap anymore. is it not?

Why do you put Naoh on labels? It is not present in the soap anymore. is it not?

There are 2 ways to label soap according to guidelines.

#1 What goes into the pot. So you list the oils, water, caustic, colorants, additives and fragrance.

#2 What comes out of the pot. So you list the fatty acid salts of the oil, glycerin, colorants, fragrance, other additives.

Yes, there is a small label on the back with ingredients and good catch on the font for the website and weight. I missed that when I designed them. Forgot to put it to what the website is...I will fix that.

is there a reason why you dont keep all your oils together? You could list all oils and save space by using the word "oil" once. I like your label and where did you get your packages for the soap?:)

There are 2 ways to label soap according to guidelines.

#1 What goes into the pot. So you list the oils, water, caustic, colorants, additives and fragrance.

#2 What comes out of the pot. So you list the fatty acid salts of the oil, glycerin, colorants, fragrance, other additives.

I believe it's the same here in Aus. There is a certain laundry detergent on our supermarket shelves which boasts of being all natural and gentle for baby's clothes, and their ingredients list states only: "soap, perfume".

This kind of labelling irritates me because it tells me nothing about the ingredients at all - what is it even made of?? They are soap flakes and quite white so I'm guessing coconut oil. And "perfume" tells me it has synthetic fragrance.

Your soap looks lovely in its packaging by the way Sozo. Well done :)

I am in Canada and the requirement is to put on label what comes out of pot. All sodiums, and Naoh is not present anymore so is not on label. It would be unwise to put Naoh on label in my opinion. People think lye is the evil. When we fill the CNF (cosmetic notification form) it is what goes into pot. ;)
btw glycerin NAOH x 0.77= glycerin

Agree with Shunt! I think its very rare that sellers can just follow the soap guidelines and must follow cosmetic. Someone - either on a website or on a review will say something like "this soap is so moisturizing" and bam! Your product is no longer soap but a cosmetic. Also if you sell soap as soap and label it as "hummingbird soap" (referring to the name of the fragrance) the rule is it has to be made of that name. So aloe vera soap has to be made only of aloe vera. Lavender soap only lavender. Hummingbird only hummingbird. (This is my understanding of the law... Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!)

I believe you are right amd. That is why it says Handcrafted Soap and the type lower down. I used to have labels that said Oats and Honey Soap. :)

Back