Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satinfox

Reaction score
Hello Everyone :)!
I just purchased a new soap cutter online. I have never used a soap cutter with a wire before but I have seen it on the internet. I see the other soapers sliding their loaves along and cutting to their hearts content; but, when I try to do that I notice that there are scratch marks on the bars. I haven't heard anyone else talk about this. Is it normal to get scratch marks on the loaf from sliding it up to the bar thickness block? In order to avoid this scratch mark, I have to move it away from the guide, slide it forward, then push it back to the guide wall, and then cut it. Its somewhat tedious and I wonder if its the cutter I just bought or if all of the cutters are bound to shave the side of the soap? I've added some pictures to show what happens to the soap and where the scratch is coming from on the soap cutter.I am not sure if I should send this back. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
20200715_170702.jpg
20200717_135912 (1).jpg

No, that's not normal. It looks like the back guide isn't lined up properly. I would ask the seller for a replacement
Thank you for replying. I requested a replacement and it came today but it does the same thing :(. I think I am going to make a video to show the seller. I don't know where I can get a quality soap cutter that wont scratch.

I got my single bar cutter from Workshop Heritage. It took a while to ship but I love it.
Hope you get this resolved and find a good cutter.

I got my single bar cutter from Workshop Heritage. It took a while to ship but I love it.
Hope you get this resolved and find a good cutter.
Thanks for the suggestion but that's exactly where I got my soap cutter from on Etsy😯

Can you take a picture of the soap on the cutter showing where this occurs? I just bought the same cutter and it works great.

I concur with @Obsidian that you have a bad cutter. And since they are hand-crafted, it's possible to get two bad cutters if they were produced in a batch by the same person.

Edit: it made it though customs this morning:dance:

Made it to America. I suppose it needs to go through customs, then it will finally get to me.

Where are you getting your metal one? I wouldn't recommend anything from Russian, their post is a mess right now with covid.

Edit: it made it though customs this morning:dance:

Made it to America. I suppose it needs to go through customs, then it will finally get to me.

Where are you getting your metal one? I wouldn't recommend anything from Russian, their post is a mess right now with covid.
I was going to either get one from nurture soap or soap making equipment.com

Thank you for replying. I requested a replacement and it came today but it does the same thing :(. I think I am going to make a video to show the seller. I don't know where I can get a quality soap cutter that wont scratch.

I would like to see the video. Mine does the same, so I pick it up and move it, AND, well... It seems it should NOT leave a scrap mark. I worked around it because I didn't realize that this wasn't supposed to be until I read this. I did get a new multi-cutter from Nurture and it is stellar! The craftsmanship, the feeling of it... So maybe I might have a used single wire cutter for sale. ;)

Oh what a shame you live in the US as I am selling mine, it’s brand new from a great shop on Etsy but my mistake I ordered the wrong size (space in between the wires for my size of soap) It was from Russia so as I’m in the UK it will cost a fortune to send back😖 not sure what to do with it now

Oh what a shame you live in the US as I am selling mine, it’s brand new from a great shop on Etsy but my mistake I ordered the wrong size (space in between the wires for my size of soap) It was from Russia so as I’m in the UK it will cost a fortune to send back😖 not sure what to do with it now
Hi there! I'm in the UK and may be interested in buying it depending on the size? I'm in the East of the UK :)
For the original poster - I hope you find a smoother one soon

Back