Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you take a picture of the soap on the cutter showing where this occurs? I just bought the same cutter and it works great.
Its in the original post, but I have added 2 more pictures
20200717_140008 (1).jpg
20200715_170714.jpg

@Todd Ziegler my cutter has finally made it to America, can't wait to finally get my hands on it.
Glad you got yours. I originally ordered one from overseas but I think COVID19 caused some shipping issues so I never received it. The store issued a prompt refund. It looked amazing online.

Hi there! I'm in the UK and may be interested in buying it depending on the size? I'm in the East of the UK :)
For the original poster - I hope you find a smoother one soon
Thanks, I hope so too.

Glad you got yours. I originally ordered one from overseas but I think COVID19 caused some shipping issues so I never received it. The store issued a prompt refund. It looked amazing online.

I don't have it in my hands yet, hopefully soon. Its been 4 months waiting but it looks like a great cutter

Hi there! I'm in the UK and may be interested in buying it depending on the size? I'm in the East of the UK :)
For the original poster - I hope you find a smoother one soon
Oh so sorry the cat lady....I managed to sell it on eBay🙌🏻 But if you’re after an amazing cutter I got it on Etsy and the shop was called soap craft tools and apart from it being the wrong size wire spaces (my fault) it was amazing and I would definitely use Andrey again!

Thanks, I hope so too.
I think I can help you. What you can do is get some heavy grit sandpaper and sand it down until it is even and your soap won't catch on it anymore.

I think I can help you. What you can do is get some heavy grit sandpaper and sand it down until it is even and your soap won't catch on it anymore.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.🙂

Oh so sorry the cat lady....I managed to sell it on eBay🙌🏻 But if you’re after an amazing cutter I got it on Etsy and the shop was called soap craft tools and apart from it being the wrong size wire spaces (my fault) it was amazing and I would definitely use Andrey again!
Thanks!

Attachments

• DA8CDD53-C9C7-4053-9656-3908D332A100.png
    DA8CDD53-C9C7-4053-9656-3908D332A100.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
Hello Everyone :)!
I just purchased a new soap cutter online. I have never used a soap cutter with a wire before but I have seen it on the internet. I see the other soapers sliding their loaves along and cutting to their hearts content; but, when I try to do that I notice that there are scratch marks on the bars. I haven't heard anyone else talk about this. Is it normal to get scratch marks on the loaf from sliding it up to the bar thickness block? In order to avoid this scratch mark, I have to move it away from the guide, slide it forward, then push it back to the guide wall, and then cut it. Its somewhat tedious and I wonder if its the cutter I just bought or if all of the cutters are bound to shave the side of the soap? I've added some pictures to show what happens to the soap and where the scratch is coming from on the soap cutter.I am not sure if I should send this back. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.View attachment 48261View attachment 48262
could you take the piece out and sand the rough/unfinished edge and put it back??

This is the one I bought on Etsy and I absolutely love it! Precise, easy to clean!!
That is the other cutter I was considering. However I went with the nurture soap cutter because it had a very long hinge, making it next to impossible for the wire to move side to side while cutting. Plus the weight of the handle makes cutting much easier.

on this subject - can anyone help as to where I can buy a cutter in South Africa. Soap suppliers here charge absolutely exorbitant rates for everything from molds, tools, dyes and essential oils and of course soap cutters.
I will delete this question if it is a hijack (apologies in advance if it is)

I would like to see the video. Mine does the same, so I pick it up and move it, AND, well... It seems it should NOT leave a scrap mark. I worked around it because I didn't realize that this wasn't supposed to be until I read this. I did get a new multi-cutter from Nurture and it is stellar! The craftsmanship, the feeling of it... So maybe I might have a used single wire cutter for sale. ;)
I had to send it back. Hopefully better luck next time.😟

This is the one I bought on Etsy and I absolutely love it! Precise, easy to clean!!

Got mine from Bud’s on Etsy. Love it! Quick questionnthoigh-how many hours after making so you cut your loaf? I don't want to wait until the soap is so hard it may break the wire. 24 hours seems too long-how long do you wait?

Got mine from Bud’s on Etsy. Love it! Quick question though - how many hours after making so you cut your loaf? I don't want to wait until the soap is so hard it may break the wire. 24 hours seems too long-how long do you wait?
It isn't so much a matter of time as it is the consistency of the soap loaf. To me, the soap should feel like firm cheddar cheese that has just been taken out of the fridge. Doesn't dent easily, but also isn't rock hard.

It isn't so much a matter of time as it is the consistency of the soap loaf. To me, the soap should feel like firm cheddar cheese that has just been taken out of the fridge. Doesn't dent easily, but also isn't rock hard.
Ah, good clarification. I just don’t want to break any strings -at least not right away.

Got mine from Bud’s on Etsy. Love it! Quick questionnthoigh-how many hours after making so you cut your loaf? I don't want to wait until the soap is so hard it may break the wire. 24 hours seems too long-how long do you wait?.

I’ve gone over a week before cutting. And every three months, I cut a bunch of soap in half.

Hi Melinda48, when you say 'strings' is that actually 'wires'?

I always use 8g hi-tensile wire on my cutters, and while they may have a weak point at the loop end, I've never seen them break anywhere else.

Can you tell me please, if possible, what gauge of wire is used on your cutter?
Thanks, Bob
Edit gauge size to USA instead of BSW

Sure thing-

Rogue P22 Bulk 12 Pack 022 Plain Steel Electric Guitar Strings
Gauge .022, Plain Steel - Acoustic or electric

Try seem awfully thin but I know nothing about stringed instrumentalities than loving their sound!

Back