New Recipe Difficult

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PARTSBILL

Reaction score
Tried to find a recipe from someone else who I could just follow. Saw too many got confused. Still confused. Went to the soap calculator and came up with several but the numbers of bubbly, harshness, etc aren't where i want them(I guess))??Lets see I have olive oil, coconut oil, and i'll get some castor oil today before I start. I have a fragrance that I want to add as well as some mice for color. Going to try for some "coast" smelling soap for my wifes shower on the first try. Can any one help me out?

Now I understand this is going to be VERY difficult. Just like years ago when I wanted to make drinkable ethyl alcohol. I had no recipe so just kind of winged it. Took about 10 different recipe tweaks BUT the main thing was getting a FEEL for it. I'm SURE this will be the same way.

Last edited:
There's a lot out there on the interwebs and it can get overwhelming. Here's a simple 3 oil recipe:
http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-b...ck-to-basics-simple-gentle-cold-process-soap/You could add castor oil at 5% and subtract 5% from olive.
I'll share what worked for me in the beginning months of my soaping: I used simple 3 or 4 oil recipes, no colors, no scent, and just practiced the steps and procedure. After several batches, then I started with mica and scents.

I was into this well over a year before I started plugging in various oil combinations into soapcalc. By then I had a handle on the process and knew what I liked and didn't like about various recipes and knew more about individual oils.

Good luck, keep it fun!

Tried to find a recipe from someone else who I could just follow. Saw too many got confused. Still confused. Went to the soap calculator and came up with several but the numbers of bubbly, harshness, etc aren't where i want them(I guess))??Lets see I have olive oil, coconut oil, and i'll get some castor oil today before I start. I have a fragrance that I want to add as well as some mice for color. Going to try for some "coast" smelling soap for my wifes shower on the first try. Can any one help me out?

Now I understand this is going to be VERY difficult. Just like years ago when I wanted to make drinkable ethyl alcohol. I had no recipe so just kind of winged it. Took about 10 different recipe tweaks BUT the main thing was getting a FEEL for it. I'm SURE this will be the same way.

If you pick up some lard you can make a really great soap with that, OO, CO and Castor. It will help make a nice hard bar that is lasting. You can find it at Walmart or in the grocery store.

I am a little confused by your threads. Are you trying to recreate the actual "Coast" soap or just a soap with the same fragrance? I noticed in your previous thread that the ingredients for Coast soap included palm oil and palm kernel oil, along with tallow. Ingredients are usually listed in order from largest amount to smallest amount. So the percentages from the most to the last would be, coconut oil, palm kernel oil, palm oil and tallow. Any soap high in coconut oil and palm kernel oil will give you a high cleansing number in SoapCalc.

If you pick up some lard you can make a really great soap with that, OO, CO and Castor. It will help make a nice hard bar that is lasting. You can find it at Walmart or in the grocery store.
I'm a good ole southern boy. I keep lard in the house. I always make scratch bisquits Got % of each?? Lard, OO, CO, Castor

@PARTSBILL Awesome! Start with this. It will make a nice soap and will trace slowly.
45% Lard, 30% OO, 20% CO, 5% Castor. 33% lye concentration, 5% Superfat
Plug it into a lye calculator with the amount of oils you want to start with. Here’s what it looks like in SMF (the forum’s calculator which is my favorite), but you can plug it into any calculator you like with whatever amount of oils you want to start with. I used 16 oz.
D8FC7317-661D-4CB0-B6DD-80DC9889018A.png

I am a little confused by your threads. Are you trying to recreate the actual "Coast" soap or just a soap with the same fragrance? I noticed in your previous thread that the ingredients for Coast soap included palm oil and palm kernel oil, along with tallow. Ingredients are usually listed in order from largest amount to smallest amount. So the percentages from the most to the last would be, coconut oil, palm kernel oil, palm oil and tallow. Any soap high in coconut oil and palm kernel oil will give you a high cleansing number in SoapCalc.

He was looking for a fragrance dupe and he found it.

Last edited:
Back