New recipe advice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyM

Reaction score
Hi soapers!

I've been making the old classic OO, CO, Crisco recipe for many years and want to branch out. I want to replace Crisco with something, but something other than palm.

After doing lots of research it seems like maybe I should just go with more OO/CO with additional superfatting oils cause other things like sunflower or just soy are DOS prone.

Can anyone give me a suggestion for a different oil that would be nice as a third? I'm not seeming to come up with anything, but there must be something out there!

Thanks!

My 'go-to' soap recipe is OO, CO, and shea. I ran out of shea and just about everything else last week, so I am doing Castile soap today (72% OO, the 28% CO). The good thing about living in Italy is that olive oil is super cheap!

I really like cocoa butter at 5-10% It adds extra hardness and conditioning to the bar. It's also has a relatively long shelf life.

I wrote a post very similar to this one on another forum :lol: I ended up replacing the crisco with Cocoa butter, avocado, and castor. I also uped the OO

I really like babassu. It's similar to CO but in my experience is a little less harsh. A cheaper oil would be PKO (Palm Kernal Oil) which is not the same as palm oil. It's also a good sub or blend with CO.

If you want something LIKE Palm that is NOT Palm, try lard or tallow.

I also almost never make a batch without castor oil. Be sure to keep it below 10%.

Cocoa butter (5-10%) would get my add as a third ... and castor oil (2-5%) as a fourth. I also like the soap I've added Rice Bran Oil (8-12%) to!

Guess the above explains why my favourite soap recipe is OO, CO, Cocoa Butter, Castor Oil and Rice Bran Oil.

Thank you so so much everyone!!!
These suggestions are on track with what I've been thinking.

Sunny Side said:
I wrote a post very similar to this one on another forum :lol: I ended up replacing the crisco with Cocoa butter, avocado, and castor. I also uped the OO

I do want to keep the new recipe lard/tallow free as well so I've been thinking along the lines of some combination of: rice bran, avo, cocoa butter, shea, castor

Did you find that your recipe made a soap that took even longer to cure or was softer? I was afraid I was running into a bunch of oils that were more superfatting of soft bar oils. Guess I'll just have to get experimenting!

Thanks again everyone, it's been soooo helpful!!

I've used High Oleic Sunflower oil. It's processed for a long shelf-life so doesn't develop DOS like regular. It's properties are very similar to OO. It does color yellow, though.

Back