*New* Perm Solution FO!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well this is a strange happening almost two years into my soaping journey, using a soap recipe I have made many times and FOs I have used many times. This one smells like PERM SOLUTION! I kid you not! Remember those crazy perms back in the 80s? Well this soap takes me right back to sitting in the hairdresser's chair with those little rollers and stinky stuff on my hair.

It is supposed to be ROSE! Have a look at this pic and see if you can see the strange happening incide the bars too. It's got that 'rind' thing going on with the pink and white clearer around the edges, and the insides, in some lights, almost look grey-ish.

My first thought was overheating? The soap definitely gelled, but there was no surface cracking or anything. Maybe the FO got too hot and morphed? What do you all reckon?
IMG_2467.jpeg

It looks REALLY pretty so the outer rind is a plus, but perm smell is ick. (i remember them well) Hopefully your rose scent comes back over time. No ideas on the reason for it happening though.

As I was reading and glancing at the pic I thought to myself "how do you get the ring of color around the outside?? That is so cool!!" Then I got to the paragraph explaining that it was a mystery outcome :). Sorry about the smell! The soaps are super really pretty!

As I was reading and glancing at the pic I thought to myself "how do you get the ring of color around the outside?? That is so cool!!" Then I got to the paragraph explaining that it was a mystery outcome :). Sorry about the smell! The soaps are super really pretty!
If you are only doing one color all you have to do is pour the uncolored batter into your mold and then start gently pouring the color portion into the mold. Start about 1-2 inches from the end and pour back and forth in the middle, leaving space on both ends. This hasn't worked every time but at least 75% of the time it worked.

If you are only doing one color all you have to do is pour the uncolored batter into your mold and then start gently pouring the color portion into the mold. Start about 1-2 inches from the end and pour back and forth in the middle, leaving space on both ends. This hasn't worked every time but at least 75% of the time it worked.
Awesome! Thanks Todd, I really appreciate that and I will definitely give that a try soon :)

LOL I can relate!

WSP's Sun & Sand FO does that to my soap every single time. It smells like perm solution for about a week after unmolding, and then it totally dissipates into beachy lovliness.

IrishLass :)

Beach FO does that to me.

Back