New Newbie

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TC472

Reaction score
Morning all,

My wife was so disappointed with the wax melts & candles she was buying (fragrance never lasted) she decided to make her own and started a wee business during lock down. I do my bit and decided to try my hand at making soaps. It's easy enough with Melt & Pour but I'm not quite there yet so here I am...looking for some expert and friendly help.

I'm looking forward to being properly educated!

My wife was so disappointed with the wax melts & candles she was buying (fragrance never lasted) she decided to make her own and started a wee business during lock down. I do my bit and decided to try my hand at making soaps. It's easy enough with Melt & Pour but I'm not quite there yet so here I am...looking for some expert and friendly help.

Welcome. M&P is a nice and easy way to get into making soap. No need for a lot of ingredients or safety issues with lye...just general issues of dealing with something that is hot. A lot of folks like working with M&P...there are some beautiful soaps made with it...and with all soap making, there are pros and cons.

In addition to M&P, you have Cold Process, Hot Process, Cold Process Oven Process and Rebatch. You also have Shave Soap, Cream Soap, Liquid Soap and Laundry Soap. So many choices...such a deep rabbit hole.

Brambleberry has a really good article about the basic four methods of Soap Methods. And I would recommend looking for Soap Queen videos on You Tube.

And ask as many questions as you would like.

Welcome. Be patient, like any soap method has quite a learning curve. The biggest issue is using a good quality base and Essentials by Catalina carries really good m&p bases which they formulate and sell.

I totally suck at working with m&p. For M&P questions I might be able to get my daughter to help you with any questions. She used to do hundreds of pounds of m&p a year when she was working with it and has a lot of knowledge if I can get her in the sharing mode. :D She has not sold in several years so she might be willing to finally share her knowledge. Be patient, like any soap method has quite a learning curve. I totally suck at working with m&p.

Latest posts

Back