New Member Here

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here To Learn

Reaction score
Hello All! I’m a new member as of January 5, 2022. I am also new to soapmaking. I wanted...needed to make my own soap because buying “natural” soaps at $5 to $10 a bar was very expensive and ridiculous! I figured I’d try my hand at soapmaking. Being a bit intimidated by lye (watching tv shows like Breaking Bad), I began by using melt and pour. That was fine for the first 2lbs. of soap that I made but, I felt I could do better. So I did. After reading/consulting 4 books, reading numerous articles and posts and watching a slew of videos, I felt confident that as long as I was extra cautious, I could do it and make my own. Since the beginning of the new year, I have made 22 cold process batches of soap (usually 1000g to 1300g) and ALL are my own recipes. I most certainly did not start with beginner soaps! I wanted to learn and the best way FOR ME to do that is to read/research and then jump right in and get hands on experience! Most all of my soaps have been been made with some type of milk. I’ve made soaps with goat’s milk, cow milk, buttermilk, coconut milk, homemade oat milk and almond milk, coconut water, pink salt, clays, beer, beeswax, honey, coffee, puréed fruits/veggies, fresh whole aloe, cucumber, lard, tallow, Crisco, shea and more . I’ve used the milk in oil method, frozen liquids and such. Had the opportunity to experience and avert an almost soap volcano with beeswax (turned out wonderfully smellicious), soda ash (which I happened to love...I’m weird), and partial gel phase! I’ve tested all my soaps and keep very detailed notes. So far, I’ve really lucked up with great lathering and conditioning in my soaps! I AM SO ADDICTED! It’s so exciting to learn different things and watch a new batch birthed in unmolding! Anyway, I am happy to be here and look forward to learning more. Hopefully, I’ll get the courage to post a pic or two!

Anyway, I am happy to be here and look forward to learning more. Hopefully, I’ll get the courage to post a pic or two!
You're amazing! I hope, hope, hope you will post more than a pic or two. With all the variety you must have a hefty stash of soaps to keep you sudsed up for a while. :D

So maybe now you have time to take a break and show off your soaps in the Photo Gallery. We LUV pictures -- even when a batch goes awry. Hopefully that won't happen, but if it does, see it as an opportunity to learn more. You can also use the Photo Gallery as a log of every batch you make. Include the recipe as well as your comments about how you processed it for future reference. I only wish I had that available to me when I first started making soap in 2003. It's a great way to chronicle your progress in the Wonderful World of Soapmaking!!!

HAPPY SOAPING! :dance:

Welcome welcome! And yes…so addicting!
1643057209014.png
And fun!!

You're amazing! I hope, hope, hope you will post more than a pic or two. With all the variety you must have a hefty stash of soaps to keep you sudsed up for a while. :D

So maybe now you have time to take a break and show off your soaps in the Photo Gallery. We LUV pictures -- even when a batch goes awry. Hopefully that won't happen, but if it does, see it as an opportunity to learn more. You can also use the Photo Gallery as a log of every batch you make. Include the recipe as well as your comments about how you processed it for future reference. I only wish I had that available to me when I first started making soap in 2003. It's a great way to chronicle your progress in the Wonderful World of Soapmaking!!!

I’m almost ready 😁😬. Thank you for the encouragement!

Welcome to the forum
Thank you 😊

Welcome to the addiction!
This addiction is so fun! Thank you 😊

Welcome welcome! And yes…so addicting!View attachment 63955 And fun!!
It’s so much fun, I feel like a mad scientist sometimes 🤣. Thank you.😊

Welcome to the forum!

IrishLass :)
Thank you 😁

very expensive and ridiculous
I think if you costed out your own soaps, you would find at $5-$10 they are priced quite reasonably (especially if you're using fancy ingredients like purees, milks, etc).
Don't take it as I'm saying there's anything wrong with saving money with DIY. (Also, depending on what kind of soaper you are...you may end up breaking even or even spending more money! There's so much fun stuff out there to try!)

I think if you costed out your own soaps, you would find at $5-$10 they are priced quite reasonably (especially if you're using fancy ingredients like purees, milks, etc).
Don't take it as I'm saying there's anything wrong with saving money with DIY. (Also, depending on what kind of soaper you are...you may end up breaking even or even spending more money! There's so much fun stuff out there to try!)

Thank you for your comment. I absolutely thought about all of the above and I don’t believe I implied that they were unreasonably priced, just that it was unreasonable and ridiculous for me to keep buying them at said price! Especially, when I knew for sure that I could make soap myself, tailored to our needs, at the volume we need. I 100% support small businesses/homestead businesses and believe that one should be compensated for their hard work, time and creativity. I also 100% support saving our own hard earned money where I can and attempting 😁😬 to stay within budget. More importantly, I believe in learning to do the things I can do for myself! As I mentioned, I use the milks, raw honey, beeswax, butters, EOs, etc. and understand for sure how expensive they can be. And I personally like to use quality ingredients (it’s what we’re putting onto our bodies, after all). I’ve chosen to keep my soaps on the simple side, meaning natural plant-based colorants and EOs or unscented and uncolored with pretty textured designs. I don’t sell my soaps, they’re just for my family and my self. At some point, I may be adventurous and try a few different colors just for the fun of it, because I’ve seen so many beautiful and creative soaps!

Welcome to the forum and to the addiction hobby. Very impressed with 22 batches just this month?! Do you know about the 4-6 week cure time? And you're not weird for liking soda ash -- there's another weirdo member here who actually intentionally makes glycerin rivers. And just to be clear, photos are mandatory!

Welcome to the forum and to the addiction hobby. Very impressed with 22 batches just this month?! Do you know about the 4-6 week cure time? And you're not weird for liking soda ash -- there's another weirdo member here who actually intentionally makes glycerin rivers. And just to be clear, photos are mandatory!
Hi there, Zing! Yes, I am aware of the typical 4-6 week cure time as well as understanding some may require even longer cure times. I've made a few more since my introduction and will be making 2-3 more tonight. My plan is to make a few Castile Soaps (both scented and unscented) to be ready for spring and summer. Pics will come soon. I'm feeling better about posting...never posted a pic of anything on any site...everyone here has been really kind and supportive. I'M IMPRESSED. Thank you for feedback, kindness, nudge!:thumbs:😊

Soooo....how cool is it that I was preparing to make a Castile soap when I came across your ZNSC thread and thought let's try this! Wonderful and informative post.

Back